Boss Metal Zone MT2 - bees?

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
So for some reason this pedal seems to be the laughing stock of the entire guitar community, there are loads of memes and jokes about this pedal and how it's just a can of bees etc...but WHY?
Here's my take on it...because it's affordable and for a long time it was the easiest solution for kids to get a high gain distortion sound without spending thousands of $.
And inexperienced metal gutarists are fucking stupid, so they can't dial their gear in to get a decent sound (I know, cause I was one of them), so that resulted in thousands and thousands of kids with a shitty tone, and A LOT of them had one thing in common...the Boos MT2!
But is it really the pedal that's to blame?
I DON'T THINK SO!
The MT-2 has for a long time been one of my favourite boosts for a Rectifier to get that Florida style death metal sound (no gain from the pedal), the semi para EQ makes this thing extremely versatile, it's not just a distortion pedal, it's also a capable EQ and boost!
ok, I think I've preached that side of the MT2 enough already...a lot of folks have also found out that the MT2 does actually more than just alright when used as a preamp into the FX return of your amp...
cool, but what about the most common use of this thing, as a distortion box into a clean amp, is it that infamous can of bees?
Well...not in my opinion anyways.
the semi para EQ makes it easy to notch whatever frequency you don't like and then slightly shape the tone with the low and high shelves....shall we see what this pedal sounds like as a pure distortion box into a clean amp?
Well, of course!!!
Here you go!

Reactions: newamerikangospel
Thats a very usable tone right there. The band Biffy Clyro use it with great results in front of a clean Marshall . As a boost can do wonders as At the gates, Crowbar and 90's era Cannibal Corpse shows. Good job Lasse.

I use it as a boost,works well in front of an OD808.There is also a Metal Zone built into the Boss GX-700 which allows you to make midi recallable presets.The entire Dirt section of the GX-700 is analog and it also has a SD-1,OD-2,DS-1,BD-2,DS-2,and FZ-3.You can set up the routing so that the loop out is placed before the converters thereby bypassing the entire COSM section.

This sounds great. Is this pedal modded at all? There a couple of pretty basic mods that take out a lot of the high end on these and make them very usable as a main tone.

Sounds great! I wish I knew about how to use this as a boost when I had mine. I’m sure I was guilty of the bees in the early 90s. Lol