Bottom End Sensation on Commercial Mixes

NathanSoulfracture said:
try using the C4 plug-in on the master bus but bypass the last 3 channels so you are only dealing with the low-end and compress it like mad then raise the gain so that the low-end is more present, that should get you close to what you are after.

I did that on my recent mastering for The Giant Squid Show and it helped tighten things up immensely (although that was last night, not the samples I posted a couple days ago.)

Kazrog said:
I did that on my recent mastering for The Giant Squid Show and it helped tighten things up immensely (although that was last night, not the samples I posted a couple days ago.)
I've use the C4 extensively over the years but I moved away from WAVEs about two years ago... thought their stuff was over priced and under preformed...
although the C4 is a cool plugin

I have tried using the Multiband compressor built in Sampltude, but I've not been able to achieve the preferred results.

kelch-

kelch said:
No... this is a constant pressure sensation... I'm short on being able to describe it accurately. Most commercial CDs are tight and punchy, this is not that... although it does not get in the way of punchy.

thanks
kelch-

I would like to hear Andy's opinion about this topic to!
Please Andy!! :worship:

I'm at work right now and listening to Nevermore's TGE on phones...

The bottom sure sounds like some sort or synthesis. If it's just crafty compression, must be witchcrafty compression... :headbang: o_O

vile_ator said:
It is more than that. I dont buy too many of these Papa Roach, POD style records but I know what youre saying. Ive heard it before. I need to hear it again but I have a feeling its a keyboard bass line under the other tracks.

Colin

i did read in a copy of bass player or something that they double the basslines with keys on one of POD's records to add some bass. i think it has to do with having a great and present bass sound. also good use of compression helps.

KeithRT99 said:
i did read in a copy of bass player or something that they double the basslines with keys on one of POD's records to add some bass. i think it has to do with having a great and present bass sound. also good use of compression helps.

Howard Benson (POD's producer, as well as the guy behind the Hoobastank CD's and My Chemical Romance's newest) often uses an organ to double the bassline. It really does thicken everything up and add a very consistent fatness to the low end.

Exsanguis said:
Howard Benson (POD's producer, as well as the guy behind the Hoobastank CD's and My Chemical Romance's newest) often uses an organ to double the bassline. It really does thicken everything up and add a very consistent fatness to the low end.

Yeah but can you do that with real metal? Would you even want to? Clean, clear bass is for pussies.

:headbang:

I'm sure you could do that with real metal, but it'd sound pretty odd in most circumstances. May be cool for a certain effect though. For low end references, I always look to Andy Wallace's work (despite it usually being crappy numetal for the most part, the low end is PERFECT).