Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles

Phyrexia

Cat With Nine Claws
Jun 3, 2002
For all those who live in North America and have access to this AWESOME METAL MAGAZINE:

I just got a copy of the new issue of BW&BK (#62) and I was completely floored and delighted to see that Dark Tranquillity has a whole page to themselves! They have also been chosen as the "Brave Pick Of The Month" and have gotten nothing but great reviews for Damage Done! I am really excited to see that Dark Tranquillity is getting the attention they deserve. I mean, they were even mentioned on LOUD (Much Music's metal program) a couple weeks ago!

Since I have nothing better to do right now I will write the reviews from the magazine:

First thing one notices about this elegant, thoughtful and heavy record, is that it doesnt bow to the obviously cohesive, and in doing so, doesn't sound like the fat butter-churn of In Flames or the always speedy bee-lines of The Crown. So creatively, it feels a cut above its state-of-the-art Swede thrash counterparts, because indeed, twists and turns occur everywhere. As soon as you think you've found a circular churning guitar groove, everything stops for Stanne's re-aggressive vocals and Martin Brandstrom's myriad tinkling sparkling keyboards, a breadbasket of effects which pretty much ascribes to the band "a sound," or at least a recurring trademark blueprint. So even if Damage Done is heavier, more guitary and growly back to the roots album folks are (shotgun, brushstroke) calling it, there are still a lot of keyboards - both in backwash and piercing, pulsing mode. But wisely, the band has dovetailed these into the epic, progressive, always fresh mash of the bands elder Soilwork vibe. And every track and a half or so, you are headbanged through the wall, Dark Tranquillity finding Maidens moents more intense than any from the leg-warmed ones themselves, essentially the same tingle burned by In Flames, only here there are more of them. In this lusty metal direction, highlights would graciously and regally include 'Single Part Of Two','Cathode Ray Sunshine','Hours Passed In Exhile' and 'Final Resistance', all sobbing sorrowfully with northern mountain man guitars buttressed by reverberating hi-fidelity drums. A classic example why the tightly packed Swedish thrash sence deserves to be the next nu-metal.
MARTIN POPOFF........................ 9.5

The Dark ones have always existed in the shadow of countrymen In Flames, despite leading the way, out of The Gates. Since then, experimentation has wobbled the once unshakable footing the Swedes enjoyed. In that regard, Damage Done (hidden message in that title?) steps back to a grittier sound, particularly in the voice of Mikael Stanne, without completely forsaking strides already made. 'Hours Past In Exhile' opens in a hail of electronic effects (Martin Brandstrom now elevated to full member status, in charge of "electronics"), that's in addition to the piano and keyboard undercurrents. Actually, piano is featured rather prominently on Damage Done, but with two guitars still searing throughout the mix, it only serves to enrich the sound. A bouncy 'Monocromatic Stains' recalls how Paradise Lost welded melody to a death metal chasis on Draconian Times. 'Cathode Ray Sunshine' is an air-drumming, jump around the room romp. A virtual non-stop ride, only the closing 'Ex Nihilo' shows any signs of slowing down. Strap on and blast off!
MARK GROMEN........................ 8.5

A puzzling carrer these darkened Swedes have had, most certainly difficult to keep up with in terms of chosen musical paths. Projector's sense of daring perhaps went over fans' heads and caused a loss in momentum. The follow-up, Haven, saw experimental motives discouraged for a familliar territory. Damage Done treads a similar path of a relentless, near-dear experience, poised to topple any outsiders who question Dark Tranquillity's reason for being. Singer Mikael Stanne is noticeably the first double-take as his aggressive tones raise the intensity level. The intelligent but hardened proggy effects of 'Hours Passed In Exhile','Single Of Part Two' and 'Format C: For Cortex' make for a treasured ride. Dark Tranquillity have stuck their necks out safely in terms of growth, but still manage to distance themselves from In Flames or Arch Enemy finger-pointing. Newly steady electronics-man Martin Brandstrom shines on cuts like 'The Enemy' and 'Monochromatic Stains', weaving together keys and other effects with a sure return to form. With each listen, Damage Done manages to convince as Dark Tranquillity's confidence level reaches a fevered pitch. This record fails to tire.
TIM HENDERSON........................ 8.5

Wow that was a lot of typing :lol:

Anyways, with such wonderful coverage and reviews, this obviously will bring forth more attention to Dark Tranquillity, so where will this bring them?? (Hopefully to North America) But even if they don't get to tour, I'm just happy they are FINALLY getting the attention they've deserved for so long. It's about fucking time!!!!!!

:headbang:

warning: the previous smiley proves mods never ever have time to read everything on a forum, so you can try and find some places to sneak eversive/subversive informations in. :D

rahvin. (i know. of course i know. :p )