Brett Garsed is amazing

Best guitarist to ever walk the Planet.

So says the person who is now listening to Planet X - Quantum for the 200th + time.

He's definitely got a bit of Holdsworth flavor in him. It's hard not to draw from his sound a bit if you're playing in that genre. He's got a much different approach to his phrasing, but he's got a similar sense of articulation and dyamic. His technique really is great...he's one of the only players (apart from fingerstyle players and country guys) who's really embraced hybrid picking and that's really laid the foundation for a lot of his other good qualities. My favorite recordings of his (garsed, that is) are on the new PlanetX cd and on the Centrifigal Funk cd he did with Lane and Gambale years ago. I can only REALLY enjoy his playing in those kind of contexts because it's generally in smaller doses than his solo stuff and it's balanced out by other players, etc. Of course, I think his solo stuff is great and well-worth checking out, but I find myself fastfowarding a lot when I listen to it.

He's definitely got a bit of Holdsworth flavor in him. It's hard not to draw from his sound a bit if you're playing in that genre. He's got a much different approach to his phrasing, but he's got a similar sense of articulation and dyamic. His technique really is great...he's one of the only players (apart from fingerstyle players and country guys) who's really embraced hybrid picking and that's really laid the foundation for a lot of his other good qualities. My favorite recordings of his (garsed, that is) are on the new PlanetX cd and on the Centrifigal Funk cd he did with Lane and Gambale years ago. I can only REALLY enjoy his playing in those kind of contexts because it's generally in smaller doses than his solo stuff and it's balanced out by other players, etc. Of course, I think his solo stuff is great and well-worth checking out, but I find myself fastfowarding a lot when I listen to it.

He has that horn-like quality to his runs much like Holdsworth. His picking is very original to that type of music and gets a very different flavor than most hybrid pickers. Hybrid picking and fluidity don't normally go together. It's quite unique and fun to watch his execution.

I'm gonna see Brett next Wednesday....seen him a few times already...he's a fucking awesome and a good guy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHaI4uZ4oeg

Seriously lucky man.

I was there ^

And again...

Best guitarist to ever walk the Planet.

So says the person who is now listening to Planet X - Quantum for the 200th + time.

I'm listening to On The Virg, but whatever, its all amazing... :D

The Guthrie thread is a few more spots down the page:p

...and I don't think we have a Holdsworth thread

:lol: Where've I been for this thread? We needz Petrucci!!1! But nah seriously, I've been quite enjoying Frank Gambale's playing of late also... But for me its all about Greg Howe atm. :worship:

Surprised Meedley that you're so shocked. You made the same comment in Post #2.

You heard right. I think that neither of them can write a song despite their vast skill, so while I am impressed by the skill, that alone won't cut it for me. But you all should have expected I wouldn't come worship the next talented guy to blip the radar... A lot of the "best" guitarists have this problem. When was the last time Vai or Satriani wrote an album that had more than one good song on it? (Song, not amazing-guitar-solo). I'm sure I'm talking to a wall here, so I guess I'll just drop it here and move along.

No, I'm not shocked, I've come to expect that kind of thing from you. How did I in any way say the same thing? For starters I was talking about Garsed...whereas you (at least as I read it) were talking about Holdsworth and Guthrie. I'm assuming since you posted right after me and mentoned Guthrie by name, that the "he" was Holdsworth...if not then there was simply something lost in translation.

Also, I never said anything about his musicality being lacking. I commented on his songwriting. While songwriting could be considered an aspect of musicality, the two are not synonymous terms.

As far as Vai and Satch go...I think each of their most recent releases have been their best in a while and have several good songs on them.