Brett Garsed is amazing

See, Drew - my personal preference has Sco well above Metheny, which shows why lists suck.

Another way to roll this up is to show the various scorings and weightings on the criteria used by the author of the list. Now, that would be interesting, and provide a means for why Bucky's obviously huge influence on his son doesn't put him above John on the list, when influence is obviously a criteria as is technical skill. Which outweighs the other? I think Bucky has more repertoire taught in jazz lessons than John as well. And I agree, Drew, I personally like John's playing.

Miles Davis invented fusion, the fact that McLaughlin was the guitar player is only a coincidence... :err:

Mike Stern should definately be up there on the fusion one.

T-Mac does a reasonable amount of fusion now, what with Cab, and his later solo stuff and quite a bit on PX- Moonbabies, but Edge Of Insanity would rate better in a 'Top influential 80's neo-classical shred guitar album' list, along with Maximum Security.

John Schofield is apparently playing here in Adelaide in October, should I go? :p

Definitely see him. I had a chance to see him last year that I had to pass up because it was too expensive...but if you can make it happen, then you should.

while not fusion at all, his playing reminds me a lot of Holdsworth, so I have to share my current guitar obsession - Per Nilsson of Scar Symmetry. His articulation and phrasing is incredible, and like I said before he totally has that smooth ultra legato tone (even when picking) of fusion guys like Holdsworth, Garsed, Gambale, etc.

while not fusion at all, his playing reminds me a lot of Holdsworth, so I have to share my current guitar obsession - Per Nilsson of Scar Symmetry. His articulation and phrasing is incredible, and like I said before he totally has that smooth ultra legato tone (even when picking) of fusion guys like Holdsworth, Garsed, Gambale, etc.

I'd like to check them out...which album would you recommend?...I'm leaning towards the latest because I understand there is less growling.

I'd like to check them out...which album would you recommend?...I'm leaning towards the latest because I understand there is less growling.

Per also plays on the Kaipa-Angling Feelings album....which is more Flower Kings type prog. He's fucking awesome thats for sure.