'Broken' Lyrics

jyng

Sep 30, 2002
www.mwis.net
I've been listening to the 'Wounded' album a lot lately while driving into work. I just started listening closely to the lyrics on 'Broken' and was wondering what others hear when listening to it. I'm guessing that it's talking about a relationship that's going bad and the person is in a 'no win' situation. They feel they can't leave it but at the same time they know it's not good to stay in it. I'm curious what this line means exactly:

"Murder one or suicide:
Which would be the greater sin?"

Now I could be totally wrong about the true meaning of this song, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Jay

Jay

From the mouth of the man who wrote the song

Hi Jay,

You are exactly right as to the meaning of that song. I wrote it sort of cryptically in case I changed my mind about the 'situation'.

Murder one or suicide? Well that just a hyperbole for hurting someone else or hurting myself. Since suicide has always been thought of as an unforgiveable sin(though I disagree) the implied answer to the question "which would be the greater sin" is suicide.

Anyway, thanks for paying such close attention. As an artist that's the greatest reward! Well, that and money.

Ted

jyng said:
I've been listening to the 'Wounded' album a lot lately while driving into work. I just started listening closely to the lyrics on 'Broken' and was wondering what others hear when listening to it. I'm guessing that it's talking about a relationship that's going bad and the person is in a 'no win' situation. They feel they can't leave it but at the same time they know it's not good to stay in it. I'm curious what this line means exactly:

"Murder one or suicide:
Which would be the greater sin?"

Now I could be totally wrong about the true meaning of this song, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Jay

Hi Ed,

I really appreciate the time you all take to answer our questions. You guys are the best!!! :)

Please tell Ted I said, "Thank You".

Jay