Brutal/Slam Death Metal

I'm listening to Incisions of a Perverse Debauchery by Pathology right now. Not as good as the excellent Age of Onset but still high quality stuff. Probably the best CADM band after Disgorge imo.

I like a lot of Cali bands (besides Disgorge) more than Pathology:
Inherit Disease
Colonize the Rotting
Cephalotripsy
Condemned
Gortuary

Speaking of Inherit Disease...
Taken from the Unique Leader Records website:

After 3 years of touring and songwriting, brutal Californian death metallers Inherit Disease are ready to enter the studio to record their second full length release "Visceral Transcendence" on Unique Leader Records. With their most aggressive sound to date, they are scheduled to enter SeahorseSound Studios on February 27th, 2010. Album cover to be done by none other than Jon Zig!

Gortuary are fucking awesome. Probably (so far) one of the most consistently impressive Cali-slam bands. Insanely heavy, well-written, surprisingly well thought out stuff.

What do you guys think about?:
Brodequin
Liturgy
Cinerary

It took me so long to enjoy these bands, but I really enjoy them now.
Same with Disgorge & Defeated Sanity. I've always liked bands that had a lot of Devourment influence a lot easier.

Brodequin are uniformly pretty good, imo, but I remember hating them at first. Walls (drummer on first two albums) has more stamina for blasting than most guys in the business, and their breakdowns are consistently great. The vocals are weak, though, and fairly insubstantial. I find that to be mildly bothersome sometimes. In addition, Festival of Death has among the most ridiculous production jobs in brutal death metal. Methods of Execution, featuring Engman on drums as a note, is an improvement in production and a definite exercise in brutality if there ever was one (or many, as it were), but it's kind of unmemorable (first riff in "The Gridiron" is excellent though) and the outro (also by Engman, little known fact, as he's a noise/power electronics/ambient artist himself on the side) is a little too overbearing.

I never gave a good enough listen to Liturgy, and Cinerary are pretty great, though their mini album is way too short (even for mini album standards; the last track is only a few minutes long, not 6 like it thinks it is :p). Good material though.

Brodequin are really good, I always thought of them as a little more intelligent then most BDM bands, Especially on Methods of Execution.

edit : plus the self titled song is really trippy to hear when baked.

I have stayed away from Brodequin for the most part because of their production. Are there any albums by them that have passable production?

As for Cinerary and Liturgy, I checked out their Myspace tracks awhile ago, but have never gotten around to listening to their albums, even though I liked what I heard. What is the best album to check out by either (or both) bands?

I have stayed away from Brodequin for the most part because of their production. Are there any albums by them that have passable production?

I don't even find Brodequin's production bad at all. the only two albums I have (the latest ones) don't have crystal clear production, but its still all fucking good Brutal death metal. certainly not the worst production I've ever heard. My speakers play it just fine.

Oh thanks, I will check them out then.

V5, are you suggesting I check out the albums by Liturgy and Cinerary, or are you just pointing out that they have only one album each.

You asked which of their releases to check out, I was just pointing out that each band only has one release, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick what to hear by them :p

Cover.jpg

Serial Butcher - 2010 - A Crash Course In Cranium Crushing

Serial Butcher debut entitled "A Crash Course in Cranium Crushing" on Unique Leader Records to be released january 26th 2010 : "A relentless, blistering killing machine has been resurrected from the darkest depths of mankind, ready to evoke a new assault upon the realm of European death metal. Drilled to kill with there brutal pummeling grooves, fast paced artillery, melodic approach and yet obstructive dissonance that will arrest your mind! "The Album was recorded at famed Berno Studios in Sweden by Henrik Larsson (Amon Amarth, The Haunted, God Dethroned, Deranged, Driller Killer, Vomitory, ...)

Really diggin' this album atm :)