Brutal/Slam Death Metal

Very true. Funny thing is, Necroharmonic (label who released WTC's album) also released Dripping's best of thing and I'm pretty sure one of the Dripping guys runs that label...or maybe you were making that connection.

Didn't Necroharmonic specialize in re-issuing old school death metal albums before Waking The Cadaver? If so, that's pretty ironic.

i'm not sure if i've posted this already and i'm extremely late on this but i just gotta say, in here someone recommended Degrade - Lost Torso Found and honestly, its fucking sick. i can't believe i didn't pay much attention to it back then.

Lost Torso Found is the rare release that most of my non-bdm-lovin buddies enjoy (and me for that matter...)

...but it's just like a lot of slam. How can you enjoy just Degrade specifically and not stuff like Poppy Seed Grinder, Necrotic Disgorgement, Human Rejection etc. etc.?

I think a lot of slam just gets held back really really bad production. I don't understand why so many of the same production issues are so wide spread in the genre. Do all these slam bands actually think that thin high pitch drums that are way to low in the mix, and thus drowned out by the muddy guitars, sounds good? Slam is also home to some of the worst(IMO) death vocals. Too many pig squeals, breebrees, and the like.

That being said, when slam is good, it's fucking good!

Yeah, a lot of the production problems come from low budget studios, the fact that it's not very marketable at all (since when are slam/brutal bands on labels like Century Media?...never!), and that a lot of the bands play in their garages and record shit on 4-tracks. But I've gotten really used to shit production in slam enough to rate it objectively on how it contributes/ruins the albums instead of just writing off muddy production. Same kind of thing as BM.

yeah I think production is the issue here.

the vocals are also of a pleasant gutturalness without being 100%... froggy.

I can usually overlook a less than stellar production if the music can stand on its own, but I can't overlook vocals I don't like.

gg12.jpg

GG Allin: more fucking metal than fucking metal

RIP Scum Fuck!

I don't mind bad production as I tend to like fuzzy or buzzy sounding guitars and the loud drums. I like vocals that are gross and disgusting sounding and the brees fit this well. You are right though when a slam band avoids these things, as in the case of Infernal Revulsion to name one, it is amazing.