Brutal/Slam Death Metal

Widdly diddly and on occasion brutal when they can be bothered to remember they're a death metal band.

As far as I can tell slam is pretty opposed to tech death in the same way early Norwegian black metal is opposed to 90s death metal. It's a genre that gives the finger to slickness and complexity and is only concerned with immediacy. Fucking Cephalotripsy and shit. What the fuck does Devourment have to do with tech death?

Slam is just deathcore that hates being called deathcore

What?

As far as I can tell slam is pretty opposed to tech death in the same way early Norwegian black metal is opposed to 90s death metal. It's a genre that gives the finger to slickness and complexity and is only concerned with immediacy. Fucking Cephalotripsy and shit. What the fuck does Devourment have to do with tech death?

Nothing to do with what I said. You insulted technical death metal on the basis that it forgets that it's supposed to be death metal, a criticism that applies just as much, if not more, to slam.

Slam is just deathcore that hates being called deathcore
I like me SOME deathcore tbh even if there's a lot of garbage. But slam predates deathcore by quite a number of years. I do like how it seems to piss off many of the same death metal fans as deathcore though and shares many influences. The conflagration of death metal and hardcore in slam is probably musically connected with my love of 90s metalcore in some fashion. Fuck you metal purist pissants. Give me Zao, Despised Icon, and Haemophagia.

Reactions: Sophii
I like me SOME deathcore tbh even if there's a lot of garbage. But slam predates deathcore by quite a number of years. I do like how it seems to piss off many of the same death metal fans as deathcore though and shares many influences. The conflagration of death metal and hardcore in slam is probably musically connected with my love of 90s metalcore in some fashion. Fuck you metal purist pissants. Give me Zao, Despised Icon, and Haemophagia.

I love Zao and those early deathcore bands are really cool. The Red Chord especially. I even like The Acacia Strain, since they got all sludge influenced.

Nothing to do with what I said. You insulted technical death metal on the basis that it forgets that it's supposed to be death metal, a criticism that applies just as much, if not more, to slam.
Death metal is supposed to be brutal and ugly. Tech death often ignores this for slickness with ugliness being a lazy afterthought. Fuck. That. Slam death metal is just ugly and insists upon its ugliness even at the expense of being musical at times. That's exactly what death metal should be.

Death metal is supposed to be brutal and ugly. Tech death often ignores this for slickness with ugliness being a lazy afterthought. Fuck. That. Slam death metal is just ugly and insists upon its ugliness even at the expense of being musical at times. That's exactly what death metal should be.

You obviously havent listened to Brain Drill.

I love Zao and those early deathcore bands are really cool. The Red Chord especially. I even like The Acacia Strain, since they got all sludge influenced.
Hells yeah. Have to plug Ted Maul, a band nobody seems to know but had one single album that is the best deathcore album ever.

Kinda getting the urge to check for a deathcore thread now. It's not the greatest genre but it's definitely got gems. Even Bring Me the Horizon's first EP and full length please me.

Reactions: Sophii
Kinda getting the urge to check for a deathcore thread now. It's not the greatest genre but it's definitely got gems. Even Bring Me the Horizon's first EP and full length please me.
Yeah actually scratch that. It's been a while since I listened to early BMtH and it's not doing much for me these days.