Build a SymX Sampler

Do you really think it's best to give someone two full discs of material? You'd be giving them the band's strongest songs... don't you think you should leave some gems for them to discover once they're hooked?

I honestly wouldn't put ANY of their 10+ minute songs on there. This gives them something to look forward to when they buy the albums.

Here's some suggestions; I haven't timed them, but this would be my "pool" of songs to pick from:

Dressed to Kill
Sins and Shadows
Sea of Lies
Candlelight Fantasia
Smoke and Mirrors
Church of the Machine (live version)
Evolution
Fallen
Communion
Inferno
Accolade II
King of Terrors
Awakenings
Frontiers (yes... it's virtually unknown, but catchy as hell!)
Set the World on Fire
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost

What i would do is show them Accolade II.

If they hate it then they will hate most of SymX's stuff
If they think its ok then they will like some of SymX's stuff
If they love it then they will love most of SymX's stuff
:)

Redragon

Hey Jax!

I already got 2 persons (including my girlfriend) to like Symphony X just by making them listen to 'Awakening'.

I mean the music is just incredible for first time listeners (too much technical/complex stuff is probably going to confuse them. I wouldn't recommend long epic songs either, not before they get a bit familiar with the band's usual material), besides the lyrics touch almost every human soul.

Now I'd say start with something in their face (I believe 'Oculus' then 'Set the World on Fire' is the choice for that) but don't make it too long before you take them into something clearer and calmer (e.g. 'Awakening', 'Accolade II', 'Paradise Lost'...etc) then go back to something heavy but not as fast as at the first song.
(hmmm, I think it would be nice to include the Odyssey's version of 'Masquerade'.)

I'd also advise not mixing things up too much (V songs for example should better be listened to only within that album) and to rather concentrate on two albums or so.
I even think that one CD would be a lighter/more digestible and more teasing dose than two.

It's your choice though, hope this helps a bit.
Show 'em what music means!! :heh: :kickass:

Alright this is the perfect "first time listen" playlist.

Disc 1
1. The Walls of Babylon 8:16 (not their best song, but a fucken excellent opener if you ask me!)
2. Transcendence 0:38 (since TWoB is a fadeout track this sets the mood perfectly for the next song.)
3. Rediscovery (Part II) - The New Mythology 11:57 (if you're any good at editing, make it so that it goes smoothly from Transcendence into this. it's a prefect combination. really. just listen to it )
4. Egypt 7:05 (awesome track that has the perfect intro to "break away" from the previous 12-minute song. also, the piano outro makes for an excellent start for the next song.)
5. Paradise Lost 6:32 (it's gay with all the fadeout outros on Paradise Lost, but they're great when making mixed albums, because you can basically mix in any song following one of these)
6. Of Sins and Shadows 4:58 (just a great heavier song sandwiched between some softies)
7. The Accolade 9:51 (because)
8. The Serpent's Kiss 5:03 (again, just to separate soft and heavy with a good track. also it'd be nice with some more Paradise Lost if they'll ever see them live)
9. The Accolade II 7:05 (because)
10. Lady of the Snow 7:07 (soft)
11. Wicked 5:32 (heavy)

~80 minutes, cba counting but it's not more at least.

Disc 2

1. Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia) 9:17
2. The Divine Wings of Tradgedy 20:42
3. Through the Looking Glass 13:05
4. The Odyssey 24:07

less than 80 minutes aswell

I think this is very good. I'd only make some changes.

Cd 1:
1.Paradise Lost
2.Accolade 2
3.Evolution
4.Out OF The Ashes
5.Candlelight Fantasia
6.Masquerade
7.Through The Looking Glass
8.The Sacrifice
9.Awakenings
10.Revelation

Cd 2: