Cover tunes by SymX?

Another one for Trogdor... man, even a Trogdor single would be killer as hell. Also, i got a few for newer bands out there... many of you will disagree, but fuck off :D
Sonata Arctica - My Land (the guitarist is excellent, and the vocals aren't that bad... though russ could make this song shine!!!)
Dio- Dream Evil!!!! (they woudl have to do ONE dio song, if not like... 50)
Billy Idol- White wedding or rebel yell
Iced Earth- I Died for you or Melancholy (holy martyr)

i'll think of more.

Hello lady of the O,fan address will appear on the board or can i get it thru my mail? Any way i would like to see Symphony x cover a rush tune and my fav song to let them cover is Tom Sawyer
jump3.gif

Scorpions-The Sails of Charon

It would take a Mike R. to do justice to the genius of Uli R.
And Russell's vocals would make the song take your head off. He could use a good combination of rough and smooth vocals.
Good thump and crunch and places for fun "extra" stuff from our bass and drum friends Mike L. and Jason.
The only problem is working the keyboards in there, but the addition could make it an even cooler song.

Man, just imagining it is getting me excited!

But, yeah, Trogdor would be cool too.
Track 1: Inferno (Unleash the Burninatin') :hotjump:

Of course it has the have the Symphony X touch to it right?

Metallica - Creeping Death, Ride the Lightning, or Four Horsemen
Fates Warning - Guardian
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Pearl Jam - Evenflow
Alice In Chains - I Stay Away
Guns N' Roses - November Rain
Rush - 2112
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Iron Maiden - Wicker Man

Pantera is an exelent choise. I only have Far beyond driven so it would be cool to hear Thrones of Objection (I think thats it's name?)

ok, I have a few now, so here goes. (these are diff.)

Genesis = Mamma

Styx = Criminal Mind

Queen = Princes Of The Universe

Moody Blues = Nights in White Satin

Dio = Man on the Silver Mountain

Scorps.????????? Any... Man this one was to tough, I couldn't pick just one so I would let the guys pick. But I would love to hear them do a Scorpions song.

thats my list for now.:D

ProgMetalFan said:
Here's a brief list I would like to hear re-done by Symphony X:

Tears for Fears - "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
Midnight Oil - "Beds Are Burning"
Morissey - "Everyday Is Like Sunday"
Erasure - "Chains of Love"
John Parr - "St. Elmo's Fire"
The Cars - "Drive"
Duran Duran - "A View To A Kill"
Duran Duran - "Come Undone"
Sting - "All This Time"
Zebra - "Who's Behind The Door?"
Blondie - "Union City Blue"
Billy Idol - "Eyes Without A Face"
Mr. Mister - "Broken Wings"
The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
Pet Shop Boys - "East End Boys"
Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"
Elton John - "Tiny Dancer"
Kate Bush - "Running Up The Hill"
Kim Carnes - "Betty Davis Eyes"
Kenny Rogers - "The Gambler"
Lionel Richie - "Hello"
The Police - "Don't Stand So Close To Me"
'Til Tuesday - "Voices Carry"
Tears for Fears - "Shout"
Coldplay - "Spies"
Hall & Oates - "Maneater"
Sarah McLachlan - "Adia"
Rod Stewart - "Forever Young"

I'm going out on a limb here, and if I'm wrong I'm sorry, but you're kidding, right?!!! Not one of those songs would be worthy of SyX dedicating any time to. Not because they aren't maybe decent songs, but they are so basic that there would be no point to using musicians as talented as the SyX guys to cover them. Give them something challenging that they can make better than the original.

Oh yeah, by the way, I don't know if you ever heard it, but Disturbed did a great cover of "Shout" by Tears for Fears on "The Sickness" album. Check it out if you haven't heard it. That's a great album.

Why are people suggesting that SyX cover songs by other prog bands who are still in existence? That makes no sense at all. I, for one, do not want to hear SyX do anything from Dream Theater. If you want to hear Dream Theater, then go listen to them. I've always said that there are only 2 reasons to cover a song, either to take it across musical genres (like Disturbed's version of "Shout" by Tears for Fears, or Judas Priest's version of "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez) or to update an good old song to a modern sound (like Van Halen's version of "You really Got Me" by the Kinks).

If you are just taking a song from another band who is similar to you, what's the point? Let the original band play it.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Hell yeah! awesome picks !:headbang:

Honestly, the one Judas Priest song I would love to hear them cover would have to be "Tyrant"! Of course, the "Unleashed in the East" version is phenomenal, but to hear those guys add some keyboard accents and rework it would be awesome!

I'm sure the guys would definitely include a Priest cover on any cover album they did as I know Michael R. always lists them as one of his influences. I loved them growing up and would definitely love to hear them do a cover of some old Priest tune. Leave the modern stuff out though, as Priest did them with good production value. Let them redo some of the older, unpolished stuff.

scanner313 said:
Honestly, the one Judas Priest song I would love to hear them cover would have to be "Tyrant"! Of course, the "Unleashed in the East" version is phenomenal, but to hear those guys add some keyboard accents and rework it would be awesome!

I'm sure the guys would definitely include a Priest cover on any cover album they did as I know Michael R. always lists them as one of his influences. I loved them growing up and would definitely love to hear them do a cover of some old Priest tune. Leave the modern stuff out though, as Priest did them with good production value. Let them redo some of the older, unpolished stuff.

Yeah but you wouldn't wanna hear them do some real pummeling tune off of Painkiller like All guns Blazing or something?

Personally, i don't think it really matters if the bands are still around or not... it's gonna sound like symphony x no matter what they do. If they covered DT it would sound different than DT. Though i think hanger 18 is an excellent choice. A Few more...

Prince- Purple Rain (seriously... it would be cool)
Winterfell- Winter is Coming
Queensryche- I Don't Believe in Love
Queensryche- Eyes of a Stranger
Pantera- Floods

Hey, i would flip out to hear a progresive metal band cover old progressive rock masterpieces, such as:

Roundabout - Yes
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
Watcher of the Skies - Genesis

you know... stuff like that. Hell, I'd love to get a Symphony X fanclub cd, regardless of what songs they cover.