Building a recording PC, anyone got any tips?

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
Gonna be building a recording PC in the next 2 weeks, anyone got any tips on what I should be going with? I'll be running PT8LE for the most part. Definitely want an XP based machine.

TI-chipset firewire card (not that mine has been any better than VIA-chipset)
4GB RAM
At leats 2 separate HDs, one for audio, one for windows/programs
maybe an Intel i7 cpu

Is the Intel i7 really worth it though? I haven't done enough research on them yet.

It's a great CPU. Do you mean price-wise? I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't buy it at the usual/standard price, which seems to be $279. There's a store I know around here selling it for $199 though, so that's how I tend to think of it.

if you have to build it now, i'd still take core2duo over i7

These are the specs I'm looking at for a PT rig like the OP. I gotta see if I can get better than 4x1GB RAM so when I upgrade, I don't have to throw away RAM, also must make sure the mobo can take more for when Digidesign eventually go 64bit. If anyone can suggest any other improvements, I'd love to hear them!

CPU: Intel Q6700 2.66GHz QUAD CORE
COOLING: 120mm CPU cooler and exhaust fan
MAINBOARD: Gigabyte P45
RAM: 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz Corsair
HDD1: 320GB OS drive
HDD2: 500GB Audio drive
PSU: 500W Seasonic
GPU: HD3450 ATI dual ouput silent cooling
OPTICAL: DVD R/RW
FIREWIRE: 2x Texas Instrument firewire ports
CASE: 19" Rack case with acoustic insulation

These are the specs I'm looking at for a PT rig like the OP. I gotta see if I can get better than 4x1GB RAM so when I upgrade, I don't have to throw away RAM, also must make sure the mobo can take more for when Digidesign eventually go 64bit. If anyone can suggest any other improvements, I'd love to hear them!

CPU: Intel Q6700 2.66GHz QUAD CORE
COOLING: 120mm CPU cooler and exhaust fan
MAINBOARD: Gigabyte P45
RAM: 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz Corsair
HDD1: 320GB OS drive
HDD2: 500GB Audio drive
PSU: 500W Seasonic
GPU: HD3450 ATI dual ouput silent cooling
OPTICAL: DVD R/RW
FIREWIRE: 2x Texas Instrument firewire ports
CASE: 19" Rack case with acoustic insulation

That's similar to what I had in mind, except a 500gb system drive and a terabyte for project/audio. I'd love to put it in a 19 inch chassis, if I can find one.

Specs look good..

I recommend Seagate HD's.. Ive used them for years and there has never been
a single issue, crash or other problems with them..

Make sure you buy fans that are as quiet as possible..

Thank you for your help guys! Now I just have to price this out. My budget isn't huge, but I have a buddy who builds custom PC's for a living, and his isn't far from those specs, he did it for $600...so maybe....

if you can afford it stick a SSD drive in their - o.s boot in like 2 seconds ..you will never look back

i just finished my computer last night and it is fast as fuck and everything booted up right away. i put in an amd phenom II x4 955 processor with 4 gigs of kingston hyperx 1666 ram. and im going to put four more gigs into it once i get another 80 bucks ;). the fucking computer screams and it is so quite to.

Really?

I havent bought a new one in about two years or so..

What happened?

Lots of drives malfunction after a short period of time. Also....

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200-11-failing

http://forums.hexus.net/thecus-care-hexus/158903-beware-seagate-drives-defective-drives-normal.html

Also, those exploding Macbooks; weren't they using Seagate drives, and wasn't it down to the drive getting too hot? I can't quite remember.