Building an Soldano SLO (SLOclone build pictures)

ttrentt

Dec 26, 2009
IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

I know you guys dig these DIY builds. I must say, this amp is a badass. Special thanks to Wolfeman on this board who got me into wanting to build an amp. I was not aware of the SLOclone at that time. An extra special thanks to Baron Amps for advise on modding this amp. He recommended some mods and I did them today.

This has been the first amp I ever build, and I wanted to build as much as I could from scratch. I do a lot of welding/painting on the side so I decided to just go for it. I built the chassis/cab, did the patina on the chassis, and covered it The only thing I didn't do was make the green boards.

After building this amp, I definately see why the 5150 was modded after this amp. It is a grainy, middy, badass machine. My live amp is a Cobra, which is modeled after a 5150, but very compressed/smoothed. This amp is between that. It is gritty and grainy (good way) as hell, but more compressed and smooth. Tone controls are very responsive (almost as much as a dual rec) and the depth mod really adds to the punch of this amp (the SLO is very high-middy/trebley).

I must say and I am sure people are asking, I built this amp for about $600.00. It looks unique, and sounds unique. So stoked.

Nice man, now I'm really interested too haha. One thing though, you forgot to add a handle!

I also wanted to ask if you don't mind telling us where you found the info to make this, parts list?, etc.

Nice man, now I'm really interested too haha. One thing though, you forgot to add a handle!

@006: I didn't want to put a handle on it. Also, search for the SLOclone forum. All answers to your questions are on that forum.

@Brandon: It took about a month overall, total time from scratch, probably 50 hours. Considering a real SLO is $2500 used and $3750 new, I am pretty stoked. It also helps I have a massive amount of $$$$ tools from when I used to work in the automotive industry. These really shaved a lot of time. Being able to weld and fabricate also help. It also helps I had 12ax7s sitting around, and a set of Wing C 6L6s sitting around. That shaved some cost off.

@rofl: clips as soon I have time to explore the amp under a mic.

Great job. Any problems with ground noise or oscillations on first startup? I was lucky enough to not have any issues with my first build. Other than reversed OT wires but that was an easy fix :)

Get some clips!

Great job. Any problems with ground noise or oscillations on first startup? I was lucky enough to not have any issues with my first build. Other than reversed OT wires but that was an easy fix :)

Get some clips!

Yea I had some issues...at first I didn't have the two 1OHM bias resisters hooked up right and I had zero output. I didn't put two of the LDR's in correct. So the channel scheme was messed up and it was noisy/buzzy (OD master worked on clean, and no gain channel). Then I had the OT wiring messed up and the LDRs were only getting half voltage, so they wouldn't switch. Once I fixed that, wham! This amp rocks!

After that she was quiet! I did decide to do Elevated Heaters, which lowered the noise floor even more. This thing is WAY quieter than my Cobra, makes me think something is wrong with my Cobra! :(

Clips real soon.

You were right about this being a solo amp (in that other thread).

Thanks for all the help bro, I owe you a beer out here in SD :):worship: