Soldano SLO-100 v.s. Peavey 5150/6505

did this thread just got necrobumped 3 years past creation and THEN AGAIN 2 years later, so this is a 5 year necro, can we have a gold medal in here?

on the flip side you could try to get your hands on a Soldano avenger, which is jus a high gain singl channel head, does high gain and high gain only, cheaper and is sick as fuck. i can't comment on the Soldano cleans, so i dunno if you'd be missing out by not getting the slo-100. but for sure the cleans suck on the 5150

if i were you i'd just go with the 5150

Better yet, Soldano has provided his circuit designs to Jet City amplifiers. Although they are manufactured in China, the circuits are the same. The JC100 HDM is the same as the SLO-100 with Depth Modification, while the JC 100H is apparently the SLO-100 design. Both of the Jet City 100 watt amp heads clock in at under 800 dollars, and can be found for even less if you do a proper search, so if you are looking for a solid sounding SLO/5150 high gain option at an affordable price, these might be the ticket.

As for the 5150 vs SLO-100 (mod'd or not), one must remember the 5150 has TWO input stages, Normal and High. The 5150 High Gain Input will not allow you much versatility, HOWEVER, if you use the Normal Input, you will will find you can get a WIDE variety of tones similar to a SLO-100. If you plug into the Normal and set the Rhythm Channel Pre to around 2, you will get a very nice chimey clean tone. You can then set the Lead Channel Pre to taste, with setting it at 10 will give you a great SLO-100 sound. Anyway, that's my two cents to keep this thread going... :D!

d7e3be54_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

I wonder how many stuff has to be changed for the jcm 800 2203/2204 circuit to get close to both SLO and 5150, since I suppose the 5150 is based on SLO and SLO is based on the jcm

*facepalm*

FWIW, I thought my SLO was a cool amp, but not nearly worth the price tag. I ended up trading it for a Diezel Herbert, which was a much better amp... then I sold that and bought a Kemper, which I enjoy even more. If I were to buy a Soldano again, it'd be the Hot Rod 50 or the Avenger. Both are just as good, if not better than the SLO IMO.