Soldano SLO-100 v.s. Peavey 5150/6505

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
Ok, I love my Peavey 5150 tone w/ v30's ! Just brutal !!!!:hotjump:

I'm in the market to get another amp for live gigs (we have two guitarist).

I know that the 5150 is based on SLO-100 specs..... so, how does it really match? Tone for Tone ? Gain for Gain ?

I know that Soldano has a Lifetime Transferable Warranty.... so they must be pretty good..... I just wonder how close to a 5150, tone wise, it really is?

So what's it to be SLO-100 or 5150 ?? :worship:

well if you can afford one...or find one even, they are some kick ass heads. I have a friend that plays live thru a SLO with 2 Marshall Cabs...it's pretty brutal...and the bastard got it for only $800 USD off of Ebay. :worship:

Yes, the 5150 was based on the SLO. But to compare them is to compare a VW to a Porsche 911.

The SLO is an amazing amp and, IMO, is vastly superior to the 5150. HOWEVER, you can buy 4 or 5 used 5150s for the price of a used SLO.

What about the Porsche 411 turbo? It had a Volkswagen engine and drivetrain in it. :)

~006

The SLO is much more articulate than the 5150. It is much tighter than a 5150, and the basic tone, to my ears is not the same. I would think that if you liked the 5150 then you would love the SLO. Really though, try one out. If you are happy with the 5150, tehy are a lot cheaper than an SLO. If you just want the SLO to sound like a 5150, then save some money and get the 5150.

Soldano rigs are very transparent. They reveal every little mistake. I don't think they sound much alike though, the characteristics of the SLO are just different than the 5150. Like Matt said, its very articulate and tight compared to the 5150. SLO's need to be cranked to really get into that nice sounding territory and I honestly could never see using it at the proper volume to obtain that sound in a live situation unless I was playing large clubs or arenas.

I guess my bottom line would be, if you love the tones out of your amp, why buy something that is different for live use? I'd go find a good shop that has a variety of different rigs, test some out, and find out what sounds good to your ears. Or do the good ol' musicians renter method. If you snag a SLO it will cost you a lot of cash and if you get it and don't like it you're going to have to turn around and sell it again, possibly for a loss.

hmmm....well, I guess if I like 5150 then I shouldn't change to Soldano.

I just figured a Soldano would be like a super deluxe 5150.

But, I might be better of getting a FJA Modded 5150 than a Soldano SLO huh ?

i've only played an SLO once, thought it sounded really good...but not enough to shell out $3k for one

i have a decatone with the slo 100 transformer. People that have had a slo say it sounds very similar. I also play in a band with a guy that has the 5150 II. I'd say the 5150 II sounds better overall on the heavy settings, but has nothing on the clean channel to the decatone. It may be that the slo 100 sounds better than my decatone, but overall i'm gonna say a 5150 is a better metal amp overall, even though it's like 1/4 the cost.

i have a decatone with the slo 100 transformer. People that have had a slo say it sounds very similar. I also play in a band with a guy that has the 5150 II. I'd say the 5150 II sounds better overall on the heavy settings, but has nothing on the clean channel to the decatone. It may be that the slo 100 sounds better than my decatone, but overall i'm gonna say a 5150 is a better metal amp overall, even though it's like 1/4 the cost.

The 9 on the last digit of the year most be upside down where you live:lol: