Building Kits ITB?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
This is mostly a drumkit question.. though..
Just for clarification, I know the importance of a real, live recording..
But..
There's some of us that are forced to work ITB, with ampsims, IR's and samples etc..

I'm wondering if you guys create your own "virtualkit" from samples etc.
I've been building my own kit that I'm hopefully gonna use on an upcoming album of mine.. in about 2045 when I'm finished with the songs..

I have a somewhat clear idea of how I want the songs to sound with the guitars, vocals etc..
So, having that in mind, making the kit is easier (not easy).

So..
Do you:
Have a finished preset?
Make kits before the guitars (or anything) are recorded?
Wait until the day of mixing?

Basically I just thought that maybe I'm wasting my time.. :D
Would be interesting to know how people handle the whole sample world..
Feel free to share an example of your kit.

Here's the kit, not mixed, the midi is from SSD:
http://min.us/mEFdRcMiW

Haven't really started with the Cy's, yet..
But I'd appreaciate feedback!

Pick out the samples you plan on using. Start from there. Program all the drum hits.
Add guitars, bass, etc.
When it's time to mix, you can go back and chose different samples or you can keep the ones you started with and just tweak them with compression, EQ, reverb, etc.

Pick out the samples you plan on using. Start from there. Program all the drum hits.
Add guitars, bass, etc.
When it's time to mix, you can go back and chose different samples or you can keep the ones you started with and just tweak them with compression, EQ, reverb, etc.

That's a good workflow.. good stuff!
Unfortunatly I haven't got a real good PC.. so making a kit before adding guitars saves a lot of CPU, though I have to jump back and forth between projects to make changes to it.. :/
I use SSD as the "base ingredient"..

I love to tweak new samples and stuff I got, but I hold in mind what kit peace I liked best.
And when I come to mixing I put kit together and than add other instruments.
P.S. What is that kick drum, I'm stoned!

I love to tweak new samples and stuff I got, but I hold in mind what kit peace I liked best.
And when I come to mixing I put kit together and than add other instruments.
P.S. What is that kick drum, I'm stoned!

Nice!

The Bd is from SSD (EX + all expansions) and from this forum.. and I've done some tweakage.. it's 2 SSD (my custom made kit) and 1 sample..!