Any good totally ITB productions?

You don't call it a studio if it's just a garage; you can't call yourself an engineer if all you do is edit and program MIDI.

(I'm aware this wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to chime in for a moment)

I use Superior Drummer, along with a ton of samples I just find around. I tweak the crap out of everything. I've spent the past 5+ years slamming my head against the desk trying to understand the intricacies of EQ and compression, and all the many tricks of the trade. I feel I've come a long way in quality since I started, but I remain humble.

I've never recorded anyone but myself and have never claimed to be a Professional in this field, but I do take issue with those who would say that I'm NOT an Audio Engineer and my home studio is NOT a studio. Granted, the term is rather ambiguous, but I think what I do is close enough to be worthy of the title.

(I'm aware this wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to chime in for a moment)

I use Superior Drummer, along with a ton of samples I just find around. I tweak the crap out of everything. I've spent the past 5+ years slamming my head against the desk trying to understand the intricacies of EQ and compression, and all the many tricks of the trade. I feel I've come a long way in quality since I started, but I remain humble.

I've never recorded anyone but myself and have never claimed to be a Professional in this field, but I do take issue with those who would say that I'm NOT an Audio Engineer and my home studio is NOT a studio. Granted, the term is rather ambiguous, but I think what I do is close enough to be worthy of the title.

Sorry but a home studio still remain a home studio.
If your place is more than that call it project studio but unless both control room and live room are floated room, designed by a real pro...etc, it's not a studio.

Larrabee, Ocean Way, Record Plant, Conway, NRG, Hit factory criteria...etc are studio.
Andy place was designed by RA acoustic group just for give you an example...

Mikaël-ange;10629497 said:
Sorry but a home studio still remain a home studio.
If your place is more than that call it project studio but unless both control room and live room are floated room, designed by a real pro...etc, it's not a studio.

Larrabee, Ocean Way, Record Plant, Conway, NRG, Hit factory criteria...etc are studio.
Andy place was designed by RA acoustic group just for give you an example...

If you want to get into details, an apartment that's only one room is a Studio. I understand that there's a difference between my Studio and the ones you mention. Professional and Amateur. Mine would be the latter, but it's still a Studio nonetheless.

The same way Andy Sneap is a way, way, way, way (+100 ways) better Audio Engineer than I am, we still are both Audio Engineers nonetheless. Just because someone has more (experience or gear) than someone else, doesn't give them the right to revoke the title from those with less.

I, and many others, have spent years learning and struggling to make ourselves better at this, and for you or anyone else to say that we don't even do it at all is disrespectful.

In a certain way I agree with you Mickaël-Ange about using the term "studio". A home-studio is definitely not a pro recording studio. Period. But I also see it as a generic term to describe a place where some music is recorded and produced. Easier to present yourself here and there even if we talk about someone with only a few years of experience working in a small place with just a few recording gears and plugins (although the term "home-studio" is very understandable too ahah!) Yeah semantic is important...

In other hand, if a "real" "pro" studio means everything you said (acoustic treatment, etc.), Tue Madsen's Antfarm for example is not a studio?? I mean this guy works at home and his facility doesn't look like the golden studios you mentioned but he delivers top notch productions! So what word could fit in that case?

I also see a guy working in a really good studio with tons of great gears (because he's got tons of money!) and the result was just horrible.

This home studio vs. professional studio reminds me of the stems vs. raws argument. :lol:

Yes, there's a difference, but is it thaaat big of a deal? haha

I'm pretty sure that there are top notch sounding recordings coming from bedroom studios and crap records from "real" ones too. This studio fight thing is old.

If you want to get into details, an apartment that's only one room is a Studio. I understand that there's a difference between my Studio and the ones you mention. Professional and Amateur. Mine would be the latter, but it's still a Studio nonetheless.

The same way Andy Sneap is a way, way, way, way (+100 ways) better Audio Engineer than I am, we still are both Audio Engineers nonetheless. Just because someone has more (experience or gear) than someone else, doesn't give them the right to revoke the title from those with less.

I, and many others, have spent years learning and struggling to make ourselves better at this, and for you or anyone else to say that we don't even do it at all is disrespectful.

We spoke about recording studio, don't go the apartment way please:lol:

Dave Pensado and Dylan Dresdow have really awesome place at home... Both call thoose project studio not studio.
Once again you can compare a multi million facility like Larrabee to a home studio/project studio. This is not the same thing so why use the same therm?

And this is have nothing to do with who you are (Grammy winning engineer or almost unknown).
I don't question your skill or the fact you are/aren't an AE.
For me you are an AE when you are paid for doing it. Period.

In a certain way I agree with you Mickaël-Ange about using the term "studio". A home-studio is definitely not a pro recording studio. Period. But I also see it as a generic term to describe a place where some music is recorded and produced. Easier to present yourself here and there even if we talk about someone with only a few years of experience working in a small place with just a few recording gears and plugins (although the term "home-studio" is very understandable too ahah!) Yeah semantic is important...

In other hand, if a "real" "pro" studio means everything you said (acoustic treatment, etc.), Tue Madsen's Antfarm for example is not a studio?? I mean this guy works at home and his facility doesn't look like the golden studios you mentioned but he delivers top notch productions! So what word could fit in that case?

I also see a guy working in a really good studio with tons of great gears (because he's got tons of money!) and the result was just horrible.

My problem (and it's the same for many other people) is that today, most young artist and musician don't know the difference between both.
A guy with a mbox in his bedroom have a studio in popular word.
Same thing for many A&R, label executive...etc

Antfarm is a project studio.

For your last point, don't blame the tool instead of blaming the guy behind;)

You can have a really fast car and doing a race again Michael Schumacher driving a clio. He will still make you cry like a baby at the end.

Andy Sneap mix still sound like an Andy Sneap mix no matter what he have for do the job.
You can do terrible mix working at home studio, project studio or studio like Record Plant.
It's the guy behind, not the tool...

My "business" is called a recording studio, however when I let people know I have a studio, I always refer to it as a "small project studio". That way they don't get their hopes up to see some grammy nominated engineer running a SSL console lol. They are usually really impressed with the results in said "small project studio" regardless of what it physically is. And mine is at a commercial location.

Mikaël-ange;10629805 said:
For me you are an AE when you are paid for doing it. Period.

If I had a dedicated facility with real drums/amps/vocal booths/SSL console etc, but only recorded myself, never having clients, I still wouldn't be an AE, by this definition.

My stab at what an AE is:
Someone who takes the time to understand the complexity of the frequency spectrum and who can manipulate and mold it properly. Someone with above average knowledge of the tools and techniques needed to create an audibly pleasing piece.

A person should be judged by their merit, not by how much money they make.

Great, then you're an AE. You might be a really shitty one who's devaluing both the worth of your peers work and the quality of audio in general, but at least you can call yourself one. That's all that matters, right?

Well, definition speaking.... normally an "engineer" is a real status proved by certificates after many years of school or something. Either it's in audio stuff or other stuff. Let's think about a "nuclear engineer" to make it clear...

In the same idea, many many bands and musicians call themselves "artist" or "composer" and to be perfectly honest, I do believe that a (real)artist or a (real)composer is WAY more than the most part of these guys are or do!! (e.g Frank Zappa was a composer, Dali was an artist...) But that's another story :)

Fuck it after all, I think the result is more important than words actually. And if someone can live with his business or simply does great things, that's all good!

EDIT - I just realized that this thread was absolutely not about this! Ahah :)

Great, then you're an AE. You might be a really shitty one who's devaluing both the worth of your peers work and the quality of audio in general, but at least you can call yourself one. That's all that matters, right?

As I said, I record only myself, I'm not one of the kids taking clients away from people with big studios. I'm talking about what defines an AE, not who's end result is better. If I was ever asked to handle a band's project, I certainly would not do it myself, that's a job for you guys.

I understand that you're pissed that people at home are throwing out shitty recordings and people like you are losing business, watching audio quality rot. You have a good reason to be pissed.

People like me, simply don't have the time or money to record in big studios and get a quality product. I'm a musician first, and an AE second. Should I just keep all the music in my head until i save up $13000 to pay a professional, so I'm not "part of the problem"?

So you're a home-studist, just like me (home-studiste in french, so I assume it's the same in english)

So much of what I read in this thread are guys who are more guitarists ect than they are engineers/producers and people who talk about big studios but have never stepped foot in one. Sigh. It's frustrating to see so many home studio guys calling their crap shoot place a "studio" while I work in Blackbird Studios and other great places. Ok, I still work on edits/mixing at home for cost but I still have a large format console rolling. Do I have a Bachelors in this stuff? Yes. Is it useless? Yes. I digress....I still say using amp sims and Superior drummer isn't engineering. Someone else already recorded that for you. Meanwhile, I'm going through a locker of a million mics spanning nearly a century of time using many large beautifully tuned rooms which I have to walk around to find tone spots. While I am still learning and always will, THAT is engineering to me. That said, there's no shame in starting from the bottom ect. We ALL started there.

You're a musician with a home/project studio who is a hobbyist in audio engineering. You basically just admitted that you're not an audio engineer.

Yes. What you're saying is doing the work of an audio engineer doesn't mean I'm an audio engineer?

If I had a dedicated facility with real drums/amps/vocal booths/SSL console etc, but only recorded myself, never having clients, I still wouldn't be an AE, by this definition.

My stab at what an AE is:
Someone who takes the time to understand the complexity of the frequency spectrum and who can manipulate and mold it properly. Someone with above average knowledge of the tools and techniques needed to create an audibly pleasing piece.

A person should be judged by their merit, not by how much money they make.

I write this because on the other end some peoples think you need to have a degree for be an engineer...
CLA, TLA, Dave Pensado, Manny Marroquin and many more have no degree in that field and are engineer.
Some are really technical and so other aren't.
Fine line between PT operator and AE imho.

So much of what I read in this thread are guys who are more guitarists ect than they are engineers/producers and people who talk about big studios but have never stepped foot in one. Sigh. It's frustrating to see so many home studio guys calling their crap shoot place a "studio" while I work in Blackbird Studios and other great places. Ok, I still work on edits/mixing at home for cost but I still have a large format console rolling. Do I have a Bachelors in this stuff? Yes. Is it useless? Yes. I digress....I still say using amp sims and Superior drummer isn't engineering. Someone else already recorded that for you. Meanwhile, I'm going through a locker of a million mics spanning nearly a century of time using many large beautifully tuned rooms which I have to walk around to find tone spots. While I am still learning and always will, THAT is engineering to me. That said, there's no shame in starting from the bottom ect. We ALL started there.

100% agree with you