Any good totally ITB productions?

Colby Wedgeworth is "The Producer" here in Sacramento. $3000 a song that he stretches across 2-3 weeks. Pod and S2.0. I think he's good but don't think HIS time is worth that much. He works did Lydia's newest album and he's definitely got a Sturgis like thing going on with the Rise-core bands he works with.

Just had a pop-punk band shaft me for doing preproduction for them because I said it would cost them $300 for two days for me to do the grunt work. But they can cough up what I'm assuming is 6k for two songs with him but can't spare 60 bucks each to have it put together by me. Hmmm.

Anyway- look up Colby. He's all itb.

There's nothing wrong with doing everything ITB, if you know what you're doing.

Thanks! Yeah ITB mixes just sound different, less deep sometimes and whatnot but I don't think that's always "bad". Imagine a dimmu album with no sample replacement and shit, that wouldn't work at all lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Search around here, it's a Sturgis mix. Nick Sampson is the mastermind behind the band, tracked all instruments, programmed drums+bass. Trilian, Sturgis drums, PODfarm is all I really know.

I really like Devin Townsend's Ziltoid

well, listening to it HOLY SHIT, that sounds amazing. great music and production.

any idea what was the guitars and vocals? did he mix everything him-self?

Guitars on Ziltoid were a PODxt Live and vocals were SM7b -> UA6176 pre.

You guys can't really think it sounds that good, though? It's certainly not bad, but it sounds sterile as hell and distinctly fake.

@JeffTD thanks man. where did you've read this? any information about what amp/cab settings? i really dig this kind of production. it's really easy-listening and not harsh to the ear. the dynamics are great and the mixes are well glued. DFH sounds really good by default so why should he process it? The drums sounds really good balanced. I might start using it again on productions. The album shows what you can do with minimal gear really well and not having high-end equipment isn't our problem. I've heard amazing albums with just a guitar, a POD, EZ Drummer and a cheap condenser...

edit:
http://www.discogs.com/Devin-Townsend-Ziltoid-The-Omniscient/release/3111883
ESP Guitars and Basses, Mesa Boogie Amplification, Toontrack EZ Drummer, Line 6 PodXT, Digidesign ProTools 7.3, Ableton Live 5, J DI Direct Boxes, Roland GP100, M-Audio Keyboard Controller, Intune Guitar Picks, Planet Waves Cables, D'Addario Strings, Maxxon Pedals, Universal Audio

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/20441164880

That's actually what he did on the first record he used DFH on (it was the original DFH kit), completely unprocessed. I wouldn't be surprised he still does it from time to time.

On a side note, god, I'm so grateful for that $20 SSD Ex deal. It did totally worth it.

OK, so theres been a couple of metal/rock mixes posted. There's some incredible mixes from the VERY top mixing engineers for a completely different genre than was asked. Serban etc smash it, but its different to these mixes. they aren't based on "real" musicians as such. its a different angle to what rock/metal is going for.

the devin stuff sounds OK, but its not amazing. likewise with the other mix. they sound fine, but if that's what people are aiming for then the future is very bleak.

but if that's what people are aiming for then the future is very bleak.

even in the past there were guys that was doing things "wrong" or "the other way", and it's happening now, we're using computers and technology for everything music related. everybody should find the balance between "real" and "computer" based on what he wants to create. for me it's much more "computer" than the other one. there was always trash music and will always be, but there are defiantly many artists that use technology as their advantage and make good music.... so it's not like the future will be bad or anything. it's on our hands to what we will create. not as much as musicians but as engineers, to give bands the opportunity and the help to create something good.

all im saying, is as professionals we should be aspiring to make it sound the best we can. using programmed bass and drums in 95+% of rock and metal productions is being done as a compromise.

fair enough if its done as a stylistic choice, and pushing boundaries. that's not what I hear though.

this forum has a rotten bunch of people who have no aspirations to improve as engineers or to leave their own bubble. they're happy to settle for programmed everything, and digital everything else. I'm not saying they don't have their uses, because I use them a lot. but for a serious recording? no thanks.

all im saying, is as professionals we should be aspiring to make it sound the best we can.

this forum has a rotten bunch of people who have no aspirations to improve as engineers or to leave their own bubble. they're happy to settle for programmed everything, and digital everything else.

I'm not proud to say that competition has made me use programmed drums, digital amps, heavily processed DIs and vocals and loud masters. That's what people want and other studios here can't offer it so it was an opportunity for me to get a good client base. My favorite albums were recorded to tape and have minimal editing and no samples or digital amps. Once in a while I'll get a good band and leave everything untouched but for the majority I'll edit it to fuck. And that, if it doesn't mean improving as engineer, means improving as a product-maker, making a good salary, doing a good job, and mainly having fun. So for me, it's a win.