Any pro sounding mix with Zombass or any other bass VSTi?

I think it's not on me to decide whether they sound "pro" or not but I produced these using trillian for bass:

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand drum VSTis - they simplify a complicated task of micing up a kit, much cheaper than the hardware, and enable bedroom wonders to have a decent drum track.

But bass VSTis? Really? Isn't it easier to play a bass line than to try and sequence the MIDI for it? Where is the value in these?

Not so inconvenient if the band is showing up with everything in guitar pro files. Midi bass and drums means only tracking vox and guitars. Not saying that's good but it is certainly done.

I understand drum VSTis - they simplify a complicated task of micing up a kit, much cheaper than the hardware, and enable bedroom wonders to have a decent drum track.

But bass VSTis? Really? Isn't it easier to play a bass line than to try and sequence the MIDI for it? Where is the value in these?

The cost of a decent bass sucks, string replacement costs for basses suck, most bass player's playing sucks, most guitarists who try to track bass lines themselves have little to no understanding of the instrument and wind up tracking something that sucks.

There's a plethora of reasons why one would choose a bass vsti over the real deal, same thing the other way around. As with every choice ever made in a studio setting, it all boils down to circumstance.

I can totally see a need for a bass VST. I use it all the time since I have no real bass myself... Zombass 3 costed me 20$, and it does the job fairly good. For an equal-goodsounding bass I would have to lay out hundreds of dollars, plus change strings every time I wanted to record. Heck, even just new strings is more expensive than Zombass 3 was.

And let's just face it - Many bassists do suck. Now, with a good player with a good bass with good strings, what the bass adds to the mix is invaluable and is in no way inferior to the guitar as an instrument. But really, many bassists are just that guy that was too bad to play the guitar. I can totally see both bands and engineers just saying "fuck it" while listening back to the original recording and program the damn thing instead.

I can really see people blending programmed and real bass too. I think Zombass 3 has insanely tight, focused and punchy low-end, so programming it and just using that portion is an option, and keeping the "swing" of the real bass in the grit/dist tracks.

i'm not fucking rich to go arround buying a lot of basses
Almost worth a quote in a (my?) signature. Totally agree.

I think it's not on me to decide whether they sound "pro" or not but I produced these using trillian for bass
I think both sound great! But why did you use trillian and did you have to use it? Did one or both of them fire their bassplayer just before recording started or did trillian just sound better? Don't get me wrong, I'm using Zombass, too. I'm just curious. Beste Grüße in Hessens Süden.

Have a nice weekend,

Downy

Zombass makes literally no sense to me.

Superior drums or Slate SSD? Yeah because it's cheaper than buying a nice drumset, a nice room, and a nice set of mics. Even if you had all that, odds are superior or slate will still sound better.

Piano shit? Of course who has the money or space for a grand piano in a home setup.

But a bass? It doesn't sound nearly as good even when compared to some cheap $150 or less basses.

I mean whatever for all of that, but this one has me scratching my head the most because of how bad it sounds to me.

I think it's harder to program bass playing to sound realistic compared to drums or piano. That may be the only downside IMO.

I think it's harder to program bass playing to sound realistic compared to drums or piano. That may be the only downside IMO.

As with piano-samples, a velocity-sensitive midi-keyboard is a huge help for better timing and "natural" sound. But it's still a lot of work from tracking it this way (speaking of fret-sounds, slides, slaps, ...).

Almost worth a quote in a (my?) signature. Totally agree.

I think both sound great! But why did you use trillian and did you have to use it? Did one or both of them fire their bassplayer just before recording started or did trillian just sound better? Don't get me wrong, I'm using Zombass, too. I'm just curious. Beste Grüße in Hessens Süden.

Have a nice weekend,

Downy

Gruß zurück :)

In one case I had to use Trilian because the bassist didn't have the time to learn all the songs and we had a tight time schedule (it was my own band). I had the choice to play the bass by myself (I normally play guitar) but then I tried Trilian and was very pleased by the results. The band I recorded after that loved the production of my band and when I explained them how I created the bass tone their bassist decided to use programmed bass as well (he's a great bassist actually and tracking wouldn't have been a problem).

I wouldn't recommend programmed bass for all genres but I think it works very well for these particular styles where everyhting has to be as tight as possible. One of the biggest advantages is the very consistend lowend and you don't need a lot of midi programming to make it sound realistic. If there is a band with a great bassist and great sounding bass (very rare combo) I'd always prefer to record the real deal, but in all the other cases I think Trilian leads to better results (for me at least).

For me it's quite the opposite. I think it's much more work to get a "realistic" drum kit or piano. But I can only talk about Trilian, never used Zombass (only heard the examples and for me they sounded way too fake compared to Trilian).
I actually prefer to use programmed bass over programmed drums because bass isn't as noticable in the mix. Both examples I posted are real drums btw.

Hey everybody! My band used Zombass for its first release and since we have yet to find a bass player we will be back tracking it live. Zombass has been a ton of fun to use and the creator Alex is a great guy to communicate with. I have not used Trillian but with a $250 price difference Zombass is definitely my go to product for Midi bass. Check out our Single, it is straight up heavy, downtuned progressive metal and IMO Zombass excels in this genre. All bass was written in Guitar Pro, imported into Reaper, sent through Kontact 5/Zombass, then bounced down to an audio file and reamped through a DarkGlass B7K! Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. :headbang:

Cheers!

- Peter Zawalski

I did this entire album with Zombass II

The guitars are actually a mix between Electri6ity and Shreddage II as well

Sounds pretty good to me lol :headbang:

I did this entire album with Zombass II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGq_CFlzDQ

The guitars are actually a mix between Electri6ity and Shreddage II as well

Sounds pretty good to me lol :headbang:

:worship: Sounds godly.

Did you use the Zombass 2 DI and process the shit out of it or used the other processed ones? I bought the Zombass 2 DI only and can't get a good sound with it, but it's because I suck and bass processing.

:worship: Sounds godly.

Did you use the Zombass 2 DI and process the shit out of it or used the other processed ones? I bought the Zombass 2 DI only and can't get a good sound with it, but it's because I suck and bass processing.

I just processed the DI.
Split it up into three parts.
First one is HP at 60 and LP at 200, just lots of thick bass to carry the mix
Second layer it HP at 200 and LP at like 6K I think. Mid range grind
The top layer is HP at like 1K and LP at around 8K. I basically just distorted the balls off it to make the bass more prominent in the mix