Bulb/Periphery - Rerecorded "Light" for fun! Up on Periphery myspace!

bulb

Jan 4, 2007
Hey guys, so in preparation for the Periphery album i rerecorded the song "light"
The drums were programmed by Orbo so this is how he is going to track them.
Used the Axefx for rhythms and s2.0 for drums, and pod for bass, cleans and leads (though not all the layers are there because i just got too tired of sitting in front of the computer haha)
Anyways you can hear it here:
http://www.myspace.com/periphery
or
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7044899

enjoy!

can't wait to hear the Periphery album... AMAZING stuff, Misha! Everything sounds AMAZING in your mix. Drums and rythm guitars particularly!

I'm gonna have to go against the flow here. There's something not quite right with it but I can't place my finger on it. I thought at first the drums were too loud, but they aren't THAT bad, although they could come down a bit. Maybe its that the rhythm guitars are too soft. Each element sounds great I think its just a matter of adjusting the levels a bit, but it doesn't sound quite right to me.

man this sound is huge!!!
tell us your drum tricks - what vst, what settings and everything!!

cheers

thanks so much guys!
its pretty much hours upon hours of tweaking internally in s2.0, there is so much potential, i mean the only external vst im using is a c4 to bring everything together slightly

I also can't wait for the album. You've coined the term djent, but now we need something to name your ultra punchy drum sound.

Guitars could probably do with a tad more bite.
And yeah I'm gonna agree that the drums are a tad too loud.
Sounds fucking great already though. One of my favourite tunes of yours too.

It seems to me that the rhythm guitars are missing some mids that are preventing them from really cutting through. Maybe it's my speakers, but they sound a bit scooped.

Maybe the guitars sound too quiet and dark, drums too loud. But tonewise drums are amazing ;)
I'm digging the song :p

I agree, drums are just a tincyyyyy bit too loud, but damn, the song is amazing, when you guys release your album, im so buying

thanks a lot guys!
yeah i found that by turning the rhythm guitars up a tad, they naturally gained a bit more bite, and the drums sit better now!

i would really like to hear the aux guitars up a bit more, they are almost too quiet to hear. I can understand a atmospheric vibe that is given by them, and having them in the distance really works well, it would just be nicer to hear them a little bit better and not have to focus on those parts, just let them sit in the mix, loud enough to be heard without any "searching". Its those small ornate things that really make the essence of a song, don't hold them back, let them shine, they don't have to be dominate, just felt.

the rest of the mix is great, i wouldn't change anything, the louder drums is what help to make them punchy, the djent of the guitars is more than enough to help them cut through even if the are turned down a lot, which they aren't.

i would really like to hear the aux guitars up a bit more, they are almost too quiet to hear. I can understand a atmospheric vibe that is given by them, and having them in the distance really works well, it would just be nicer to hear them a little bit better and not have to focus on those parts, just let them sit in the mix, loud enough to be heard without any "searching". Its those small ornate things that really make the essence of a song, don't hold them back, let them shine, they don't have to be dominate, just felt.

the rest of the mix is great, i wouldn't change anything, the louder drums is what help to make them punchy, the djent of the guitars is more than enough to help them cut through even if the are turned down a lot, which they aren't.

yeah dude you are absolutely right, i actually spent about 10 minutes doing the layers because i was burnt out, and i didnt finish all of them which is why they arent leveled right or even complete in some places, the final version will not suffer from that, hell i didnt even use the axefx for the layers because i was too tired to go and make a patch on there, so i just used the pod