Bulb/Periphery were the founders of "djent"?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
wat?

200337_10150138401499533_506719532_6498252_6706158_n.jpg

Ok, so he might have coined the phrase "djent", but he didn't create this style of music. What about bands like Meshuggah, TesseracT and Sikth and all the others? I'm not flaming Misha/Bulb for this, but just the fanboyism that whoever wrote the article had annoys me. Uggg.

^ agreed to both comments. But it's annoying that they give him credit for "creating" the genre. I think Misha is an amazing guitarist and has definitely had a HUGE impact in bringing this music to the forefront, but I don't consider him creating the genre. lol. Sorry just had to find something to bitch about today. Bad day. No offense Misha. Congrats w/ the article btw tho.

Ignorant writer aiming to ignorant readers. It's a pity that false facts like this turn into history.

There's no question that Misha is getting sucess and media is selling his image in a very crazy way. In any case, I'm really happy for him. His career is going really well and he is becoming a star very quickly. He's talented and I think he deserves this in the same way that I think that many other unknown musicians deserve the same prestige. It's a pity that there aren't enough pieces of the cake for everyone.

I've never even heard of Periphery until this thread. And I still don't know what it means when someone says "djent".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=djent

1. Djent
Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated.

2. djent
Guitar noise onomatopoetia.
The sound you get when you palm mute with razor tight, high gain tone.

it's just music press bullshit, they obviously never have noticed Meshuggah's forum is called ...." Tandjent..." or Tesseract years before Periphery were around.

Indeed there is a very strong Tesseract influence in Bulb's music - but I still like it!!! it's all good.

Honestly saying a band has created a genre is ridiculous, to me the "Djent" sound is spawned from all sorts of bands/albums - too many to mention but Sepultura's Chaos AD album was groundbreaking in it's use of Downtuned riffing (Low at the time) use of "noise" and "discordant" intervals as a melodic device in place of a solo -

Morbid Angel also popularised the 7 string sound ... "Where the slime live.." heavy ass riffing!!! years before the whole "downtuned" thing came to the fore.

I've never heard of Periphery except on this board but I wish them the best as they are very talented at what they do and Misha is a great dude, but , let's just realise that they have NOT created a damn genre!!!

I don't think anyone has ever created a genre. It's all fucking interlinked... music journo's are often just bitter twisted failed individuals whose last resort is to claim they know the truth about what is good and what is shit. Fuck them, and fuck everything they stand for. I hope they all die in fucking gas chambers.

Er.... please review my new CD mr journo....

bulb and tesseract are the only two that could be credited with anything, the reason you're seeing this article now is because it took this fucking long for either one of those artists to put out a full-length album

not only is this the only genre i know of that spawned from mp3 trading, it's also the only one i know of that died as soon as the genre's first album came out

"ugh sick of those vocals/production/axe/tappy shit/etc"

america is so entitled to shit that we're sending a revolution back because it isn't revolutionary enough

Oh, and sorry for posting this in the main forum, guess I forgot to click off-topic instead. Feel free to move it or delete if necessary. lol