Djent

Death Aflame

voice of dissent
Feb 1, 2004
Any thoughts on this emerging genre/fad? My understanding is that is basically Meshuggah style guitar techniques (staccato, palm-muted polyrhythms, odd time signatures) and a particular guitar tone. The term 'djent' is derived from the latter aspect: it's supposed to be onomatopoeia for sound achieved when combining the guitar tone and playing techniques.

Bands who play the style include Textures, Sikth, and Tesseract. Of those Tesseract seem to be doing something quite interesting with the sound. Check out this song:

Last edited by a moderator:
Succinct and to the point.

I realize that this topic will probably get nothing but hate from the regulars here, but I really do like Tesseract's combination of pop, atmospheric metal, and djent.

Interesting. The song was ok I guess but the vocals seemed really out of place though.

Thoth and Mort should work for Congress lol. Quick and simple decision making, I like it.

Tesseract sounds like Messhuggah + Linkin Park. Yuck. Djent seems to be an unnecessary sub-genre, as Messhuggah's sound is so limited. It's just as ridiculous as when there ware several brutal/technical death metal bands with Egyptian themes a few years ago (Coffin Texts comes to mind). Sub-genres are usually started by one band, yes, but the band has to play a style than has potential for a lot interpretation and variation.

I approve of Meshuggah, but I don't approve of this new bunch of clones and the stupid sub-sub genre title. The genre seems to consist only of bands that sound like Meshuggah but with more annoying commercial elements, and total Meshuggah clones, like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
The singer of Tesseract is similar to Chester Bennington in tone, no doubt about it; I'd say he's much stronger melodically when compared to Bennington though. The contrast of his vocals to the instruments is what gets me with this band, I find the sound unique and think it works extremely well.

They have yet to release a full-length album, but their lone EP Concealing Fate is good if you enjoyed the song I posted.

Tesseract sounds like Messhuggah + Linkin Park. Yuck. Djent seems to be an unnecessary sub-genre, as Messhuggah's sound is so limited. It's just as ridiculous as when there ware several brutal/technical death metal bands with Egyptian themes a few years ago (Coffin Texts comes to mind). Sub-genres are usually started by one band, yes, but the band has to play a style than has potential for a lot interpretation and variation.

Coffin Texts released one album like ten years ago.

yeah Coffin Texts released their album in 2000 and it was pretty decent actually. Sounded like a better version of early Nile.

anyway, this whole djent thing sucks.

I love progressive and technical shit, but this "DJENT" thing does not belong to extreme metal. The vocal usage is mostly clean and annoying. Its like post-hardcore meets progressive metal. Ill stick to Meshuggah for extreme progressive metal for now.

I'm not really a Meshuggah fan. But, on the other hand, I am a Textures fan. I guess it's the slight variations that I find more enjoyable. The "genre" as a whole though is full of fail and abortion.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the term 'djent' sounds like it comes straight out of some sort of African jungle language.

I love progressive and technical shit, but this "DJENT" thing does not belong to extreme metal. The vocal usage is mostly clean and annoying. Its like post-hardcore meets progressive metal. Ill stick to Meshuggah for extreme progressive metal for now.

I don't think it is meant to belong to the extreme metal genre, but labels really are secondary here.

Tesseract's approach is certainly more pop-oriented, but I don't know if it is the dominant trend. Periphery is poppy, but less outright when compared to Tesseract.

Sikth, on the other hand, take the sound and add a significant does of schizophrenia.

Anyways, I like some djent, most of you don't like any. Definitely called that one.