what pickups to get for my ibanez?

RobbM said:
Tone Zone..which is funny because it's one of those hidden jem's in the neck position, since it was never designed for anything but the bridge, but it shreds in the neck.

yea i was wondering about that. The Tone Zone alone is a very dark pick-up.
MJR makes it sound very smooth and creamy in the neck position, but would this be the avergage result for anyone else who tries it?
considering they have some skill on guitar of course.

yea i was wondering about that. The Tone Zone alone is a very dark pick-up.
MJR makes it sound very smooth and creamy in the neck position, but would this be the avergage result for anyone else who tries it?
considering they have some skill on guitar of course.

was my next question...

I don't have a very clean sound yet (for the first 2 1/2 years of having a guitar I didn't have an amp, and my amp right now sucks balls so I just play unplugged 90% of the time... So I'm not used to playing on an amp without having feedback and stupid noise coming out..) Would it be a good or bad idea for me to get a tonezone for the neck?

Yeah but I was just using that as an example, I'm gonna buy a Line 6 Spider II during summer. I meant it as in I suck at playing clean, would it sound even worse with a TZ on neck?

oh oh oh, we thought you mean't your amps wern't clean or somethin, I see what your your saying now.

I think it would. The more powerful the pickup, the more sounds it will pick up, so yes, it will amplify your shitty playing technique. :p

You could also look at it from another point too. You get this, put it in, and it does just that, it makes you sound worse because of your technique. This pisses you off enough to seriously pay attention and perfect your technique and you become the next MJR...:heh:

SO get to it and practice, practice, practice...

ABQShredHead said:
Amen to that, Brother!

Spend your money on your amps first, then upgrade your guitar.

I just got myself a boss gt-8 and soon will be getting a 120 watt keyboard amp for it, so I'm set in that department. I just need a good sounding guitar unless my guitar makes the chug riffs sound more better than I think.

You could also look at it from another point too. You get this, put it in, and it does just that, it makes you sound worse because of your technique. This pisses you off enough to seriously pay attention and perfect your technique and you become the next MJR...

haha my guitar has more excess noise problems than most other guitars I've tried, so I guess that helps me in my practice routine? lol

As we are talking about amps...

Does anyone know if the LINE 6 FLEXTONE III amps are good?

They have a lot of sound possibilities, but do they have enough power
and are they able to prevail in a band and on stage?

They suck actually. When my buddy and I went shopping at GC for a new amp for him, we tryed out the FTIII and it was mediocre at best, it lacked a lot bottom end (he was using a 7 string) and tone, then we tried out a old beat up Flextone II 2x12 which was less than 1/2 the price of the new flextone III, and it kicked some serious ass. I told him if he didnt buy it, I would have, so he snatched it up on the spot.

and its LOUD @ 100 watts..

can you recommend some other great amps in that price class around 500-600$, with a large amount of tones?

For its flexability and tone you really can't get much better than the older flextone series. The FTIII isn't a bad amp, but for $500+ you can get the older, more toneful ones (with less modeling junk in them that your not going to use, probably why it sounds better) and save a lot of money.

are you looking for a head or combo (1x12 or 2x12)

If you don't want all the modeling junk in it, you can try out a Carvin XV212 (all tube 2x12 combo) theres also the Mesa Boogie Satellite 60 (no real gain on its own, but great mesa tube tone if you have a POD or something to run into it) If your lucky you may be able to get a Mesa Nomad for around that price too, but there getting more popular and are getting into the 700-800 range. Theres also the Peavey XXX, head or combo.

I think you can find a bunch of stuff off eBay, or even a local used store. I'm still a big fan of the old ADA stuff, because, like Robb pointed out, I'm old. Hook an MP-1 through a MicroTube into a pair of 2x12s and you are ripping hard with large tonal capabilities. Total cost, about $450.

eBay is the solution to all the world's problems, except for the existence of high school spanish class. You're guaranteed to find something great on eBay.

ABQShredHead said:
I think you can find a bunch of stuff off eBay, or even a local used store. I'm still a big fan of the old ADA stuff, because, like Robb pointed out, I'm old. Hook an MP-1 through a MicroTube into a pair of 2x12s and you are ripping hard with large tonal capabilities. Total cost, about $450.

um, I think it would be a bit more, MP-1 is about $200, a microtube would be about $150-$175ish, and just 1 2x12 will cost you about $200, plus dont forget about cables, and a rack case..

RobbM said:
Keyboard amp?!? :lol: They have like NO bottom end whatsoever...

I did some research on what amps sounds best with multi-fx processors and found studies done by people saying that keyboard amps with a flat range frequency were the best because they gave the clearest sound on all the frequency ranges.

I just got my keyboard amp today, and plugged my gt8 in, let me tell you, it has bottom! Sounds just like any other amp with my gt8. I'm pretty much set, now I just need to see if my ibanez is good enough or if I need to upgrade.