What do you guys think of Ibanez?

megamore

Aug 15, 2004
Denmark
Ok, I was supposed to buy a Schecter 007 Elite but they didn't have it and I couldn't wait for the order etc. So I bought an Ibanez RG1527 seven string guitar with Prestige neck and pickups instead! Please give me your honest answer - what do you think of this model and would you prefer the Schecter instead, if so, why? Also, what do you think of the pickups? Are the EMG pickups heavier? Meaning - do they produce a heavier sound?

First, I really do not like either brand, but I can see why they appeal to many metal guitarists. Second, I really do not like EMG's(in guitars), DiMarzzio's are decnt. emg's just push way too much crap. But, with the right amp, effects, etc. they sound killer.

Me, buy a Gibson Les Paul. The meaty sound is built right in, and when you change the pick-ups, it sounds that much heavier.

[edit] It should be noted that while I do play leads, I prefer rhythm, I am the rhythm monster, hence the Les Paul.

Not a big fan of Ibanez. The only Ibanez guitars I would consider buying at this point would be signature models, mainly JEM and Universe. But I could see how a prestige, if you got a good one, could be serviceable.

As far as EMGs, they can get a really good metal sound, but pretty much just the one metal sound. Whatever your amp and the wood of your guitar sound like, they're going to sound like EMGs now. Amp and guitar still have an effect on the tone, but its less of one, the EMGs really just take over. They've also been known to sound a little sterile, which doesn't bother a lot of metal players. I've been playing EMG 81s in my main guitar with my current band and I'm about to swap them out for Dimarzios because I couldn't get the same variations in tone I could with my other guitars. Still if you like how EMGs sound, they can be good pickups for the right music.

Hope that's helpful.

dead6skin6mask6 said:
BC Rich > Ibanez

I hope you were kidding :err:

at any rate, from what I've heard, high end Ibanez guitars are supposed to be really solid. EMGs I don't really care for. Schecter guitars have been some of the most comfortable guitars I've played. They usually have a good neck with low action too which is nice for shredding.

personally, I'm washburn guy. Fastest neck I've played and the stock pickups are awesome...I have no desire to change them.

but whatever feels best to you

I can't get used Ibanez or Jackson necks (which seem similar to me). The necks seem too "flat" some how, like they are to thin (not too narrow). I've peen playing the same damn SG for ten years, and every other guitar I try just feels really strange. I still need to try out a PRS though.

I love Ibanez but I think it's very much about what you prefer personally. The RG's have great playability, and the Prestiges are wonderful guitars.
I don't remember whether the RG1527 has split coil pu's or not but my RG has and the amount of sounds you can get out of it with a little tweaking is amazing. If you have a high gain amp you don't necessarily need EMG's.

>> Megamore: Hvor meget sku' du slippe for den?

Jackson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other guitar brand.

Ibanez make good guitars for just cheap practice instruments, although my friend has a very nice prestige series Ibanez that plays excellent.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Jackson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other guitar brand.

Maybe 10 years ago. Their quality has gone down the toilet. Sadly this is the same with most companies.

ESP Japan > all

(except PRS and the Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci model)

Custom shop Jacksons are still pretty solid too.

Oh and I haven't seen a REAL BC Rich (USA) in years, but when I did they were really good, but I've heard they've gone down the quality control toilet like most companies.