what pickups to get for my ibanez?

RobbM said:
um, I think it would be a bit more, MP-1 is about $200, a microtube would be about $150-$175ish, and just 1 2x12 will cost you about $200, plus dont forget about cables, and a rack case..

I've seen everything on my list going for about $100-150 each on many auctions (I keep track in case I can find a steal and I have a bill in my bank getting a little too ornery for my liking).

The 200-W MicroTube goes for about $175, but the 100 Watt model stays around $120-ish.

The speakers will get you on shipping, but I've seen many go for a bid price in the $75-125 range.

Add a G-Major to this list and you're kicking ass in any bar or small venue.

RobbM said:
I bet you $20 this amp sounds 1000x better than your keyboard amp..

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ATOR112

hey man whatever sounds good to me is fine, and this 120 watt keyboard amp I got is great for my playing. the Keyboard amp is also a PA. It's actually a Behringer KX1200, and I got it for more than half the price of that atomic amp, and hey it sounds good to me!

regular amps seem to color the tone of FX pedals. I really like my boss gt8 and the sound it comes from it.

tone is subjective

now onto the subject of pickups, are pickups really worth it for my ibanez? I just think if it works out right then I could live with a $100 bridge pickup for a while. It's just this guitar tends to get out of tune quick.

thanks for the suggestions!

RobbM said:
For its flexability and tone you really can't get much better than the older flextone series. The FTIII isn't a bad amp, but for $500+ you can get the older, more toneful ones (with less modeling junk in them that your not going to use, probably why it sounds better) and save a lot of money.

are you looking for a head or combo (1x12 or 2x12)

If you don't want all the modeling junk in it, you can try out a Carvin XV212 (all tube 2x12 combo) theres also the Mesa Boogie Satellite 60 (no real gain on its own, but great mesa tube tone if you have a POD or something to run into it) If your lucky you may be able to get a Mesa Nomad for around that price too, but there getting more popular and are getting into the 700-800 range. Theres also the Peavey XXX, head or combo.

Probably a combo.

is this the flextone II you talked about?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Line-6-Flextone-...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it doesn't look quite powerful, but a bit flat-sounding :confused:

Yes, the exact one..

"it doesn't look quite powerful, but a bit flat-sounding"

I don't know how you can come to that conclusion from a picture. Its 100watts, and 2x12 speakers, its loud, really loud.

bball_1523 said:
hey man whatever sounds good to me is fine, and this 120 watt keyboard amp I got is great for my playing. the Keyboard amp is also a PA. It's actually a Behringer KX1200, and I got it for more than half the price of that atomic amp, and hey it sounds good to me!

regular amps seem to color the tone of FX pedals. I really like my boss gt8 and the sound it comes from it.

tone is subjective

now onto the subject of pickups, are pickups really worth it for my ibanez? I just think if it works out right then I could live with a $100 bridge pickup for a while. It's just this guitar tends to get out of tune quick.

Well, if you replace the pickups the guitar well get alot better, but your ibanez is a low end model. I would get an RG then get new pickups. A 350dx, will destroy the guitar you have now.

War_Blade said:
Well, if you replace the pickups the guitar well get alot better, but your ibanez is a low end model. I would get an RG then get new pickups. A 350dx, will destroy the guitar you have now.

what about any other guitars for less than $400? Actually I saw an ESP at a guitar shop that has some kind of duncan pickups and it sounded great and the low end was nice

Theres tons of guitars in that price range, both new and used. I always suggest getting a used guitar, you usually end up getting a better guitar for the money. Who cares if it has a few dings or scratchs, your just going to make them in a new guitar eventually anyways. Plus, buying a new guitar is like buying a car, as soon as your drive it off the lot, it depreciates in value anyways.

Ibanez makes tons of great guitars that can be had used for under $400 such as the RG350DX, the RG 320FM and the older RG570's.

Jackson has a few good ones under $400 like the DK-2, and the lower end Kellys and King V's and rhodes.

ESP has some good ones like the ESP M-200FM..I'm not crazy over their necks though, a little thick for me.

RobbM said:
Theres tons of guitars in that price range, both new and used. I always suggest getting a used guitar, you usually end up getting a better guitar for the money. Who cares if it has a few dings or scratchs, your just going to make them in a new guitar eventually anyways. Plus, buying a new guitar is like buying a car, as soon as your drive it off the lot, it depreciates in value anyways.

Ibanez makes tons of great guitars that can be had used for under $400 such as the RG350DX, the RG 320FM and the older RG570's.

Jackson has a few good ones under $400 like the DK-2, and the lower end Kellys and King V's and rhodes.

ESP has some good ones like the ESP M-200FM..I'm not crazy over their necks though, a little thick for me.

I'm used to my ibanez gax70, which has a higher action than the majority of guitars I've tried at GC with super low action. It also has medium sized frets and 22 frets total, but I want 24 frets!

I don't are about scratches or dings, I'm worried about the electronics and the intonation being in tact. My current guitar has intonation problems, because for some reason the guitar sounds out of tune when I already have it in tune. (F Maj/min chords sound awkward).

I'll definitely check the used section.

bball_1523 said:
I'm used to my ibanez gax70, which has a higher action than the majority of guitars I've tried at GC with super low action. It also has medium sized frets and 22 frets total, but I want 24 frets!

I don't are about scratches or dings, I'm worried about the electronics and the intonation being in tact. My current guitar has intonation problems, because for some reason the guitar sounds out of tune when I already have it in tune. (F Maj/min chords sound awkward).

I'll definitely check the used section.

Thats why you always bring your guitar to a good tech and have him go over it and set it up proper, and bring your guitar back every 3 to 5 months, or else it will continue to get worse and worse. And you need to have him show you all the basic stuff like intonation.

RobbM said:
Thats why you always bring your guitar to a good tech and have him go over it and set it up proper, and bring your guitar back every 3 to 5 months, or else it will continue to get worse and worse. And you need to have him show you all the basic stuff like intonation.

how do I know who's a good tech or not? Can I learn how to set up a guitar on my own?

Take it to a place like Guitar Center or a large retail chain like it. Ask the tech if he's certified by Fender or Martin, or look for certificates from The Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans (A.S.I.A.) or the American School of Lutherie.

Your more likely to find these people at larger chains than mom & pop stores.

You can learn on your own, theres plenty of books and online tutorals that explain everything, but its a lot better to have someone show you than to learn from a book. Plus it helps to have a guitar you don't care about to work on, incase you fuck shit up.

Just thought I'd chime in a bit about the guitars/gear stuff.

When life was good, I had Mesa boogie that was God-like and a pile of real nice guitars to go with it. Well, the bottom fell out of the IT job market, and I ended up selling EVERYTHING to make ends almost meet. I was gear-less for a little over a year. I was a die-hard tube amp guy, my first purchase with limited funds was a Flextone II XL 1x12 with Floorboard. E-bay cost on the amp was $225, the board was like $80. I then purchased an RG320FM for $250. I can NOT stop raving about the Flextone II. It's a jack of all trades rack in a box. There's not a lot this amp CAN'T do. The sound patches and the tweakability of this amp are amazing. The RG320FM was bought because it had a (shitty) locking trem, and was pretty much as low down on the product line I wanted to go. The STOCK pickups in that guitar are wonderful.
Yes, the guitar is made in Korea, but it sure seems like I at least got a "good" one. As for your wanting to replace pickups, the EMG reccommendations are great for balls and chunk, but for vesatility, I really like the Dimarzio PAF Pros.
There's just something about those pickups......

John W

Are you sure it was only a 1x12? Because the XL was only available in a 2x12 config. Well, either way, its a kick ass amp for the money, and has more tone and balls than the III. Throw in a Tubescreamer and a Bad Horsie in front and your all set.

My bad, it's a 1x12 FlextoneII Plus (not the XL) it has the XLR outs for recorsing or live into a PA. Heh, I still wish I had my old original tube screamer
that got sold too, for about 3 times what I paid for it 20 years ago or so. That pedal was the key to my "sound" with the old Marshall, didn't use it at all with the MkIV.. I thought it was a great deal too, and actually was a buy it now purchase

J-Dubya