Bulb/Periphery were the founders of "djent"?

Wow, I wasn't aware that TesseracT had been around that long (2003). Good to know. We're they rocking the style from the very beginning? I say so because while Periphery are not as old, Bulb really influenced people as "Bulb" through his soundclick account (via forums like sevenstring.org and the Meshuggah forums) well before there was a Periphery. Either way, it's kinda interesting how the internet has allow a style/scene to evolve outside of regional confines. This is just they way of the world now.

Honestly saying a band has created a genre is ridiculous, to me the "Djent" sound is spawned from all sorts of bands/albums - too many to mention but Sepultura's Chaos AD album was groundbreaking in it's use of Downtuned riffing (Low at the time) use of "noise" and "discordant" intervals as a melodic device in place of a solo -

Morbid Angel also popularised the 7 string sound ... "Where the slime live.." heavy ass riffing!!! years before the whole "downtuned" thing came to the fore.

Sevens appeared on on 'Covenant' actually, and I'm pretty sure Crowbar predated any of this so far as "baritone" low tunings go in metal.

I don't think anyone has ever created a genre. It's all fucking interlinked... music journo's are often just bitter twisted failed individuals whose last resort is to claim they know the truth about what is good and what is shit. Fuck them, and fuck everything they stand for. I hope they all die in fucking gas chambers.

Honestly...I couldn't agree more :lol:

pretty sure i saw misha say in an interview that fredrik thordendale came up with the term. i don't know if that's necessarily the genre he created, but just thought i'd mention that.

I don't think anyone has ever created a genre. It's all fucking interlinked... music journo's are often just bitter twisted failed individuals whose last resort is to claim they know the truth about what is good and what is shit. Fuck them, and fuck everything they stand for. I hope they all die in fucking gas chambers.

Er.... please review my new CD mr journo....

Well, at the end of the day even the worst abortion that crosses a reviewer's table still has more artistic merit than the accumulated body of reviews he will do over his entire life.

It's a job where someone prolifically passes judgment, driven by highly subjective criteria, with no qualifications or insight into the subject being explored beyond their hobbyism.

When I get bored late at night I like to google reviews of CDs I've worked on to get a good laugh. The amount of things most get entirely off-base is hilarious.

Oh, and yeah, Periphery.... lost me after djent was turned into a self-recycling gimmick machine that completely lost the plot behind why it was created in the first place, including the minimalist groove, ambiance qualities which originally drove it.

If I were in Meshuggah I'd be pissed off. Then again if I were in Meshuggah I'd be too awesome to even give a shit, and instead just spend more time really djenting out.

Well, at the end of the day even the worst abortion that crosses a reviewer's table still has more artistic merit than the accumulated body of reviews he will do over his entire life.

It's a job where someone prolifically passes judgment, driven by highly subjective criteria, with no qualifications or insight into the subject being explored beyond their hobbyism.

If I were in Meshuggah I'd be pissed off. Then again if I were in Meshuggah I'd be too awesome to even give a shit, and instead just spend more time really djenting out.

I've saved this post offline, as it is one of the finest pieces work literature I've ever read on this forum. I'm also going to pass it along so my 'friends' who think they're journos and ask ME how to describe a band so they can catalogue it into a genre.

He never created it, simply took it and finger banged it into submission. Then everyone else wanted a turn.

Yep.

Misha Mansoor and Periphery single-handedly created the progressive djent rock revolution

This is what the the article says. It's a fact that there wouldn't be million fanboy djent projects and bands today, if it weren't for the efforts of Bulb and Periphery. Opinion on that being a good or bad thing is obviously subjective. I'm just trying to point out that the article isn't stating that Periphery was the founder of djent. You know, Che Guevara was a pivotal character in the Cuban revolution, but he certainly didn't found Cuba. Exactly the same case as in this article.

Is your name Anton Egon by any chance? ;p

Misha is a fucking sellout.
</grumble>

Bring back the days of soundclick and the guy playing in his bedroom at 4am purely because it made him happy.
Now I get to see his mug plastered all over every music magazine in existence.

The only "djent" album worth mentioning is Meshuggah's Catch Thirty-Three anyhow, and I'm not sure I'd ever refer to it as djent outside of this post because it transcended that bullshit "genre" and all its gimmicky trappings about a thousand times over.

somehow this really doesn't annoy me at all,
while its certainly not true that bulb invented the muisic style called djent all by himself, people make generalisations like that all the time
death invented death metal, slayer invented thrash metal, venom invented black metal, ... people also say hendrix invented rock, and old blues listeners get offended hahaha

am i the only one who doesn't read that the same way? to me, the writer is saying that they created the 'revolution' not the music style, genre, whatever.

Sad that a new sound in heavy metal is getting bashed so much. I think djent will be a big influence on future bands. It's much more interesting than to listen to even more metalcore bands or numetal bands. Always happy for new stuff.

Everyone on the forum should check their posts for grumpy old man ramblings before hitting submit.

Djent seems like it's good in theory.
I've never liked stuff like glam and hair metal, all that image based crap, just really watered down garbage metal really.
Really liked how thrash metal and death metal were the total anti-thesis of that. More about pushing boundaries, than just playing it safe with catchy pop choruses that even the most stupid people could relate too.
It seems like in theory, djent should be the total anti-thesis of all that gay 'eye liner-core' style metalcore with the stupidly tight jeans and gay hair, being more concerned about the image and competing for title of "Who has the most testicle constricting jeans?" than actually practicing and improving on your instrument and style.

But the actual execution of djent means that in practice, it just fails anyway.
Somehow that irritating commercialization made it into the genre, so instead of being something about pushing forward and exploring new ground, it's just become a genre where everyone has to have the same kind of guitar, the same kind of amplification (a modeler, typically).
Every kid wants the 'djent' sound. They don't want their own sound, they want what Bulb has or whatever.

It seems like as society becomes more homogenized in general, that when 'new' sounds do come along, they become homogenized sounding way more quickly than ever before.
Until we can get the young generation to understand that and to wake the fuck up, I sure as hell don't see a very good future for 'djent' as far actual creativity and artists finding their own sound goes.
This so called 'revolution' has pretty much stagnated and is on its last legs before it even begun.

I'm with a couple other guys on this... The article gives him credit for the Djent REVOLUTION. Where do they make any claims that he created a genre?

but Sepultura's Chaos AD album was groundbreaking in it's use of Downtuned riffing (Low at the time) use of "noise" and "discordant" intervals as a melodic device in place of a solo -

Morbid Angel also popularised the 7 string sound ... "Where the slime live.." heavy ass riffing!!! years before the whole "downtuned" thing came to the fore.

Black Sabbath, anyone? :) C# tuning anno 1971 with Master of Reality :worship: And if I remember, there was also some other hippie group that had very low tunings and distortion too, maybe in late 60's?

...the total anti-thesis of all that gay 'eye liner-core' style metalcore with the stupidly tight jeans and gay hair, being more concerned about the image and competing for title of "Who has the most testicle constricting jeans?" than actually practicing and improving on your instrument and style.

I really like tight jeans. very much. I do not like core or eyeliner. have you ever tried to wear one of those? It's like everything sits perfect. awesome stuff.

About that Misha thing.... I think a lot of people are jealous. Really. He fucking deserves it. I don't like his music since they have a vocalist but thats another thing. I would sign those contracts, too. I mean... I would do the exact same thing in his position. Okay, the toontrack-presets are really shit and maybe some of you think he's a bad producer because everything he does sounds the same. But it works.