Bulb/Periphery were the founders of "djent"?

here's a link to an interview in which Misha (and Veil of Maya guitarist, Marc) talk about the origin of the word.

http://www.guitarmessenger.com/interviews/marc-okubo-veil-of-maya-misha-mansoor-periphery-interview/

at about 3/4 of the way through...

"MM: Then there’s this Djent thing…
MO: That’s all you, man. [laughs]
MM: I get blamed for this. I didn’t even come up with the word. I’ve said this a million times, but Fredrik from Meshuggah came up with it. I used to post on the Meshuggah forum, and that’s where I picked up the word – people were describing guitar tone. It’s just a palm mute that you pick really hard, and I really like the way it sounds. It sounds metallic – it’s like: ‘Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent!’
MO: Is that the one where they stack the power chords with four notes?
MM: Yeah, where you play four notes on the power chord. [link to video lesson here]
MO: I remember reading that now.
MM: That’s where the term originated. I was looking for gear that was djenty. I was like: ‘Are these pickups djenty?’ For some reason it caught on, but completely in the wrong way, because people think it’s a style of music and they think it’s a style of music I play. There’s a misconception, because low-tuned open-note syncopated riffs are now called djent riffs, even though it has nothing to do with it. A lot of djent bands don’t even play that djent chord or even do that sound, so it’s very ironic how that worked out.
MO: You just blew my mind right there, I just had a vivid memory – you know None by Meshuggah, that EP? It has a song that’s like: ‘Da-da-duy-da-da-duy-da! Da-da!’ There’s one part that’s like: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ He’s playing a guitar solo over it, and it sounds like he’s saying ‘djent.’
MM: Do you know the song ‘Aztec Two-Step?’
MO: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [laughs]
MM: It’s like: ‘Listen. DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [To audience] Do you want to hear what djent actually is? That is what it actually is.
MO: [To audience] Get None by Meshuggah right now. [pretty sure he means 'Nothing']
MM: Which you should have anyway, if you have a pair of ears and a soul."

I really like tight jeans. very much. I do not like core or eyeliner. have you ever tried to wear one of those? It's like everything sits perfect. awesome stuff.
I agree, tight jeans are great :D (Maybe a bit OT...)

here's a link to an interview in which Misha (and Veil of Maya guitarist, Marc) talk about the origin of the word.

http://www.guitarmessenger.com/interviews/marc-okubo-veil-of-maya-misha-mansoor-periphery-interview/

at about 3/4 of the way through...

"MM: Then there’s this Djent thing…
MO: That’s all you, man. [laughs]
MM: I get blamed for this. I didn’t even come up with the word. I’ve said this a million times, but Fredrik from Meshuggah came up with it. I used to post on the Meshuggah forum, and that’s where I picked up the word – people were describing guitar tone. It’s just a palm mute that you pick really hard, and I really like the way it sounds. It sounds metallic – it’s like: ‘Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent!’
MO: Is that the one where they stack the power chords with four notes?
MM: Yeah, where you play four notes on the power chord. [link to video lesson here]
MO: I remember reading that now.
MM: That’s where the term originated. I was looking for gear that was djenty. I was like: ‘Are these pickups djenty?’ For some reason it caught on, but completely in the wrong way, because people think it’s a style of music and they think it’s a style of music I play. There’s a misconception, because low-tuned open-note syncopated riffs are now called djent riffs, even though it has nothing to do with it. A lot of djent bands don’t even play that djent chord or even do that sound, so it’s very ironic how that worked out.
MO: You just blew my mind right there, I just had a vivid memory – you know None by Meshuggah, that EP? It has a song that’s like: ‘Da-da-duy-da-da-duy-da! Da-da!’ There’s one part that’s like: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ He’s playing a guitar solo over it, and it sounds like he’s saying ‘djent.’
MM: Do you know the song ‘Aztec Two-Step?’
MO: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [laughs]
MM: It’s like: ‘Listen. DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [To audience] Do you want to hear what djent actually is? That is what it actually is.
MO: [To audience] Get None by Meshuggah right now. [pretty sure he means 'Nothing']
MM: Which you should have anyway, if you have a pair of ears and a soul."

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/None-Meshuggah/dp/B000000H0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1301427733&sr=8-1]Meshuggah - None[/ame]

And if I remember, there was also some other hippie group that had very low tunings and distortion too, maybe in late 60's?

It was always the hippy groups man.
All the guys taking a shitload of acid and smoking a ton of weed and going off on one for an hour, getting lost in the music and doing it for the love of pure creativity, that's a beautiful thing.
Djent gives me none of that feeling anymore. Totally fucking watered down nonsense for the kids that are too scared to imbibe something of questionable legality and (shock horror) put the settings on their amp to something that their favourite musician isn't currently using..

meshuggah, meshuggah, meshuggah.
thats all im gonna say here.
mesh - fuckin - shugar.

also a huge + 1 to ermz post.