Buy: Drums for recording metal ?

Skyweaver

Shred or Die !
Jul 9, 2005
Australia
www.luthor.info
Hi Guys,

What is the recommended buy for metal drums used for recording/rehearsal ?

I've got a tiny studio and thinking of buying a second hand set of drums so I don't have drummers lugging their gear in and out.

Will do some pre-production recording and rehearsals etc

Any suggestions would be great.

Sonor/DW/Yamaha/Pearl work great. Used prices can vary but most sets under 1000USD new aren't that great. Anything above or around that is definately usable though. Just a general rule though. You could also buy a shitty set and just get some good samples to trigger it with.

In my experiance, both in recording bands, and in listening to other people's results, I like DW and Sonor. Pearl get's a good rep too, though, so i'm sure you could do well enough with such a kit.

Pretty much what everyone else said, but I'll add Ayotte, Tama Starclassic, & Pork Pie to the list.

I've recorded a few Pork Pie snares that were, quite frankly, just plain amazing.... especially for the price.

-0z-

Hi Guys,

What is the recommended buy for metal drums used for recording/rehearsal ?

I've got a tiny studio and thinking of buying a second hand set of drums so I don't have drummers lugging their gear in and out.

Will do some pre-production recording and rehearsals etc

Any suggestions would be great.

the drums heads are also a big part to the sound,
dont use stock heads, dont use pinstripes from my experience
use emperors, they wll do the best job, and make sure you know how to tune a drum

id say def. go for a DW first and foremost, they just seem to be the easiest to tune and get soudning great, ive heard good things about sonor. Ive never like an pearl kit ive ever played, unless u can get a masters set. They all felt really cheap and thin sounding. I myself own a yamaha stage custom. Its probably the best kit u can buy for the money. It comes in around 1000USD new and it sounds great and is great quality. But id say dw, sonor, and yamaha are where to start looking

^ more specifically , Coated Emperors for Toms and Coated Ambassadors for snare gets my vote !
dude no
my mistake was getting coated
theyre meaty as fuck but they arent picked up well by mic's as much as clears are
more specifically talking about overheads here
clear! for toms and coated! for snare

A lot of people use te clear Emperor toms heads on top and the clear Ambassador ones on the bottom to get rid of any resonance. The Powerstroke3's are good for kick/snare. Remo's stuff is just kind of hard to ge set in.

I used an Aquarian snare head the other day, I forget which but it was basically all kevlar and it recorded really great surprisingly. The drummer was hitting it extremely hard though. It was a Yamaha Stage Custom snare I think, one of the best sounding I've ever recorded, so much "crack".

Any kit that can hold tuning, new heads, exhaustive tuning, trial and error mic placement and a great drummer

seriously

that being said, I love recording yamaha recording kits (whatever they call em)