buyer's remorse

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
let's talk about stupid shit you've bought and subsequently regretted, or things that you invested too much money in for the small returns you're getting -- OR talk about things that were SO FRIGGIN WORTH IT.

i spend most of my money on unnecessary things, i guess, but i don't like the experience of spending money. every time i buy something for more than $50 i get all "bleeeh this sucks, i hate having to spend money" so right now i'm feeling like i probably shouldn't have bought that camera yesterday, even though i'm sure i will love it, use it a lot, and even though it will cost me almost nil after selling my old one.

not sure why i bought my playstation 2 a few months back, i have certainly had some fun playing it but most of the games i have are terrible timesinks like final fantasy xii that i had to play for something like 55 hours before realizing i'm wasting my life with pointless shit, so yeah, i'm considering selling the ps2 again because i don't need to pay to have my life drained away by japanese anime garbage

i love my drum kit and all the cymbals i've bought but unless i start getting more involved as a drummer with serious bands that rehearse often it's gonna feel like a rather stupid purchase because it's going to be played by others, not me

so all of these are borderline, things i enjoy and/or have use for but that i feel i still need to justify to myself because i spent (for me) a lot of money on them and i don't necessarily feel i've gotten my money's worth yet. it's not like when i bought tiamat's "a deeper kind of slumber" for $15 in '98 and then got about 5000 listens (so far) out of it. now that's value! it probably has saved my life repeatedly, too

Oh man, if I tried to list all of them... :lol:

My XBOX360. I have a few games such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, GTA4, Bioshock and they have brought me a great deal of fun over the couple of years I've had them, but mostly this machine serves as a $400 DVD player.

This Ebow I picked up is a lot of fun and produces some interesting effects, but I don't think I'm using it to its full potential and its probably mostly a waste of time.

Half of my music, books & movies which I'll probably never have any interest in again, and when I die they'll go to some other jerk who won't give a flying fuck about them.

I've refrained from buying durable goods to a large extent unless it is to replace something absolutely needed (to me) that runs out of order, like PC, hi-fi or camera. And then it is only to replace it with something of comparable features and quality (having in mind the unavoidable technological advances), no overexpensive, fancy bullshit if I can avoid it. I can perfectly relate to the buyer's dilemma discussed here, it is something I've been pondering over a lot, say until 3-4 years back, but at the present time I really own close to zero non-cultural stuff that is actually dispensable - except that mp3 walkman I will not even replace when it dies.

But if you consider "unnecessary" travel/week-end away expenses as included in the thread's scope, then I throw a lot of money out the window.

recently, the Mazda3 i owned for less than a year. but otherwise been spending money on only things I need and honestly bought so much shit "want" stuff in my 20's that I really don't even covet much stuff nowadays.

I am dreaming about a Gallardo though. :loco:

oh yeah and I NEED a 24" monitor for my PC for work, but I am such a cheapskate nowadays that I can't bring myself to justify it as I already have a 22" ...