Buying new amp, need some help

Carlsman

Jul 6, 2007
Sundsvall, Sweden
Hello!
I'm going to buy an amp for recording purposes and I don't really know what to get.
I'm thinking about getting one amp that can do many different genres or getting two amps, one for metal and one for rock/punk/punkpop stuff.

I've been looking at the Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp or the Dual Rectifier if I'm gonna buy one head.

I'm also considering a 5150 and a Marshall JCM 2000, or some other Marshall, if I'm gonna get 2 heads.

What's your opinion? Do you have any other suggestions about amps?

I would really apprieciate your help on this!

The sound I'm after is
Metal: In Flames, Killswitch Engage, 36 Crazy Fists, Bullet For My Valentine, something along those lines.
Punkpop: New Found Glory - "Catalyst", Yellowcard - "Ocean Avenue", Green Day - "American Idiot", something like that.

Engl invader for every thing or krank rev jnr for metal + orange tiny terror for rock stuff. If you have the money i would get the invader

Thanks for the quick reply guys! The Engl Invader looks very interesting!
I also found the Engl E570 Preamp on their website. What do you guys think of that? I'm thinking of using that with impulses. Or would the Invader be better?

The e570 is the preamp section of the flagship engl head the Se which ive heard great things about (never played it though) again like the invader it would probably cover all the ground clean crunch and metal and cover it very nicely.

If it was me though id prefer to get the head put it through a good 4x12 and throw a mic in front of it but if you cant do that using the preamp with impulses will still get great results as can be seen from numerous threads on this board.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I'll go with a head instead of a preamp. I almost forgot I'm in a band, and I don't want to have rackgear when playing live.
But does the Invader have a Preamp out or something I could use with impulses? I would like to have the ability to record quiet, but it's not necessary.
By the way, do you have any samples recorded with the Invader?

the fireball has the option to run it in standby mode and still being able to take the signal out if the send fx. could be that it's possible with the invader too

I've heard a lot of negative reports on the Invader though; because it's new, it's a lot less proven than the SE, which is a tried and true motherfucking beast (Dimmu's "In Sorte Diaboli" was an SE slaved through a Savage power section). I really wanna try the Invader (specifically the Invader 100, not 150), but the IMO safer bet is definitely the SE.

Yea SE for the win for sure but its kinda expensive (€3,000) If you are on a budget Invader might be better (still not cheap)(€2111) still better value than a duel rectifier (€2,555)

aewhaiuhipeghaeiugheeg;oahego a Dual Rec is more than an Invader where you are?!?!?! Christ, I always knew they were expensive in Europe, but that really puts it in perspective - here, a Dual Rec is $1700, and an Invader 100 is $2850 ($3000 for the Invader 150), and either SE is $4,000

ha its cheaper for me to buy a european made amp in usa thats fucked up €3000 = $4,716.62 america rules for buying gear you even get our gear cheaper than we do :cry: Btw getting my 2 channell duel rec tomorrow super excited thank god for step down transformers

If you're looking for versatility look at a triple xxx or JSX, they will do rock, metal, punk, clean very well.
If you have to cover a lot of genres with one amp the xxx does it convincingly.

Thanks for all the replys. This forum is such a great place!
The SE is way too expensive for me. I live in Sweden and it's quite expensive here. I looked at the Triple XXX and the JSX at first but I was afraid that they couldn't cover that many genres. But if you had to choose between a XXX and a JSX, what would you go for? I need it to be pretty good at modern rock/metal/punk and have pretty nice cleans.
I don't have any musicshops near me that have good amps to try out, they only have cheaper models.
Thank you guys for helping me out! I really appreciate it!

JSX = killer cleans, great rock/punk tones and it can do metal pretty damn well. I had one for quite a while and I have no complaints other than I couldn't get it to sound raw enough for certain projects. It always sounded polished, which is not a bad thing at all, except if you're trying to get a raw-ass tone, haha. I decided to sell it and get a XXX clone, Bugera 333, and now I'm more than happy because I can get raw sounding tones easily, or I can polish it up. It was just a matter of options for me. The XXX is the predecessor of the JSX. Peavey took the XXX, sat down and tweaked it a little to Satriani's taste, but the amp is pretty much the same. The cleans on the XXX are good too. I would say between the two, just to have more "options", get a XXX.

~006

As already mentioned, the 570 basically is the preamp section of the SE, so if you ran it through the power section of an SE I'm sure it would be close to identical. The preamp voicing will be the same, but the power section you run it through will make a difference on the overall sound, obviously. Shane (Kazrog) is more than happy with his 530 :)

~006

Have someone ever tried the Marshall JVM410H? It looks very interesting. 4 different channels and 4 modes/channel.
I think I'll go with the Triple X, JSX or the JVM410H.
Thanks for all the info and help guys!