It's been a long time but I need some help finding an amp I'd like.

kylendm

Apr 18, 2010
NJ
Alright after a long search I can't find an amp to fix my exact tone spectrum. I've been looking for something CLEAR, tight as hell, and tons of gain on tap. I've been looking at the Fryette and VHTs for over a year of two now and I'm starting to think it might not be for me since I really don't like EL34s. I can't afford a UL though.

My Baron K88 is so close and I might send it out to get it closer to what I want but I'm a stereo kind of guy and two of the same amps is not what I want. I've owned a 5150 and an RM100 with custom mods but none of which have gotten me there.

I don't want something that's too smooth but I don't want that Marshall crunch. I can't find an amp that's in between. I play the Br00talz and it needs to be able to make a guitar and Drop A clear. Tube amps only. AxeFx just wasn't for me.

Should I stick with looking at VHTs or maybe move on to something else?

Suggestions?

This is the kind of tone I'm looking for. I realize it's next to impossible to get a studio tone but something close to this would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep saving! The VHT/Fryette Pitbull Ultra-Lead is essentially the very DEFINITION of clear and tight, moreso than probably any other amp I've ever used. You have to be a good player though, because it's not a forgiving amp. I really don't think anything out there can match it in terms of pure tight, clear balsiness.