BWBK 6 Pack Weekend 3 Update - Death Angel and Raven added

steelreign said:
Can it be that we are that spoiled now, what with a handful of true heavy metal festivals in the States, that we can afford to just start bandwagon bashing the ones that don't attract the cream of the metal crop year after year

Words to consider....

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
steelreign said:
Can it be that we are that spoiled now, what with a handful of true heavy metal festivals in the States, that we can afford to just start bandwagon bashing the ones that don't attract the cream of the metal crop year after year

Words to consider....

Glenn H.

Well said, Glenn. If you're not into a particular fest ... don't go. But, there's no point in bashing it. I'm sure the promoter of that fest would like to book better bands and perhaps that is what he is working towards. But for the time being, enjoy the fact that we have a good variety of Metal festivals to choose from. And be thankful for the handful of dedicated Metal Heads who create and put them all together. :headbang:

I totally agree with what steelreign said. I have been listening to metal for over 20 years and there was a time in the mid-ninties I pretty much gave up on new stuff. I still listened to my CDs but I probably only bought around 20 between 95-98. I liked some of the music out, but a whole CD worth of material never seemed to pan out. There were hardly any tours for metal, it was pretty grim here in the States. I kind of got reborn in 99 with Dream Theater's "Scenes from a memory" and the Internet has definately helped a lot. Now there is an underground scene again, kind of what it was like in the early 80's. I really don't want metal to implode like it did back in the early 90's.

There aren't many of these fests around, most of us still have to drive or fly many hours just to attend. I wish I could afford to go to the BWBK fest and Chicago Power Fest, but I can't. They both are having some killer bands. What are the chances anybody is going to like 10-15 bands at one show. I like almost any type of hard rock or metal and still wouldn't like somebody on the bill. More than likely I wouldn't know some of the bands. Hell, I only really know Strat and Therion so far for PPVI and I don't really care for either of them. I think Strat will be great live though. Either way we already have our room booked and will be there. Seems people bitch just to see what kind of response they can get. Remember these shows can go away real quick, there isn't a shit load of money to be made on them. I'm not saying there isn't some to be made, but I think the love of the music has a lot to do with it! :headbang:

Aggreed.... I myself never bashed on BwBk, I just said it's not enough to make me go... if they bring some bands that attract me more, I'll definetly go next year...

AngraRULES said:
Aggreed.... I myself never bashed on BwBk, I just said it's not enough to make me go... if they bring some bands that attract me more, I'll definetly go next year...
Same here !! I don't really know what prompted all the speeches and subsequent Glenn ass kissing. I guess you're not really allowed to express an opinion on a festivals roster without getting roasted by the holier than thou's out there. I think I'm entitled to bitch a bit if I want. I've been to 5 prog powers, two bwbk's, and will be attending Chicago Powerfest this year. I don't recall too many people ripping bwbk in this thread, it's just simply that the lineup doesn't interest some folks. I felt last years was a major dropoff from bwbk 1, and I think #3 is shaping up to be a dissapointement as well. It's just an opinion people, deal with it. I don't see the point in attending and supporting a fest when I don't like the lineup.

Britt

AngraRULES said:
I aggree that they are two different festivals... I do not see the reason for the comparison though, given that I've simply said that it's not enough to make me go... I don't see too much of a difference in the two crowds, given that most fans that go to ProgPower usually like and even go to see bands that play BWBK, and vice versa...

And Glenn does not base his budget on the amount of people that go to the festival.... at least not that I know it
Besides that you also said they should have had balls to get better bands than the touring package - that was the whole reason for the comparison to PP. Better bands usually equals more money (and better bands is all subjective ). I guess what I was getting at is PP has a lot more choices because they are a well known fest and have a bigger budget. Things take time to establish. The 1st year of BWBK was great year - almost sort of a fluke.
Whether or not you like the band selection it is still a well run and highly organized fest - and I am sure everyone will agree with that. And thank God there are some quality fests in this country unlike the ones that have given American fest such a bad name. I am a big supporter of the fest since it is in my back yard and I want to keep it here in Cleveland. If I lived in Atlanta I would be doing the same thing defending the fest becuase it is a good fest no matter what people's opinions on the bands are.
I don't mind a pleasant disagrement but when you have a guy on this thread that says the fest sucks because HE doesn't like the bands ( I guess BWBK couldn't get any female fronted bands to make him happy ) is flatout stupidy.

AngraRULES said:

That's cool...
Just curious - what bands would you be interested in seeing next year?

Obviously this year is the line up is pretty much done (I would think ).

Dude, How can you not like Trouble (to me the highlight of BW&BK I), Jag Panzer, Death Angel, and MY favorite, RAVEN!!! WOO HOO!!! Man, you know that I am not dissing your opinion, just really saying that Kat and I will be missing you if you don't make it... And yes Zine, (John), that goes for you too!!!

By the way, having Raven on this bill puts this festival right beside ProgPower in the class area. Yes they are that good... NWOBHM at it's best!

I feel like Bryant now but my band is Raven instead of Accept... Now if either fest gets Accept... WOW!!!!!

I don't think I've ever said that I wanted any female fronted bands... if anything, I don't care to see a band fronted by a girl any more than any band fronted by a guy. What makes me interested in seeing the band is the actual music and the show... Not the fact that it's a girl....

I totally aggree with you man, regarding that it's a very well run festival and I believe you. I've never been to BwBk, all I did was saying that I don't have interest in the festival because I thought the line up wasn't the strongest. I like some of the bands, but again, not so much to the point of making me go all the way to Cleveland to see them. That is my ONLY point... It's a matter of personal opinion..... I think it's great for the US to have more than just ProgPower as far as metal festivals go, but do me a favor, and respect my personal taste, dude, I've never bashed on BwBk.... My comment on having the balls to get bands outside that touring package is that if people are looking forward to the line up of the fest, which is hundreds of miles away and they fiind out that many of the bands will be playing in their city or close by, I guarantee you that these people may NOT attend the festival.... I just think it's good for the festival to get bands that are not touring at the time, it does not make sense! I think you got me wrong man, however, I think it's a matter of accepting people's opinions and musical tastes....

Narcosynthesys68 said:
Dude, How can you not like Trouble (to me the highlight of BW&BK I), Jag Panzer, Death Angel, and MY favorite, RAVEN!!! WOO HOO!!! Man, you know that I am not dissing your opinion, just really saying that Kat and I will be missing you if you don't make it... And yes Zine, (John), that goes for you too!!!

By the way, having Raven on this bill puts this festival right beside ProgPower in the class area. Yes they are that good... NWOBHM at it's best!

I feel like Bryant now but my band is Raven instead of Accept... Now if either fest gets Accept... WOW!!!!!

Kent,

Jag Panzer and Trouble interest me, but I don't think any of the other bands do. I don't like Soilwork, DT, Mnemic, and Hipocracy. I knew a little bit of Raven's stuff back in the day, but I haven't listened to a Raven tune in 15 years. I also don't understand the Accept love either. That band was never big among me and my friend growing up. None of us liked them because we thought Udo stunk.

Who knows man, maybe the last four bands will knock my socks off and I'll feel the need to attend. It's just that I'm not much into the novelty throwback bands like Doro, Flotsom, Raven, etc., or the death metal bands. I liked the first one because it had quite a few current progressive and power metal bands. The last two have slipped several notches based on my tastes.

Britt

thesungoesdown said:
That's cool...
Just curious - what bands would you be interested in seeing next year?

Obviously this year is the line up is pretty much done (I would think ).

When it comes to attending a festival, I would rather see bands that I don't see every year in the United States. I'm NOT syaing that there's any bands on the roster that tour the US every single month.... (Even though Dark Tranquility, Soilwork and Hypocrisy toured here not too long ago...)

Jag Panzer is a good band, Trouble is a good band, Soilwork is awesome, Hypocrisy as well... I'm just not enough of a fan of those bands to go see the festival all the way to Cleveland.... If it's gonna involve a good amount of money from my pocket to go, I have to consider carefully and make sure it'll be worth it.... I don't live right outside Cleveland, so unfortunately my expenses won't be short..... If you consider renting me some square feet of floor in your house so I can sleep, I would definately think about it though... hahaha =)

As far as bands that I would like to see in a future BwBk festival... I don't want to base my choices on what ProgPower brings to the US because I know that BWBK's budget is smaller than PP's. There are some awesome bands out there though that are still not that huge in terms of popularity (and I assume would not ask for much to play).... Imperanon is a great new band from Finland, I would DEFINETLY go see them at BwBk if they were to ever come... Other names I could cite are Dragonforce, Avec Tristesse (Brazil's Opeth), Nevermore which would probably cost less for being from the US... Persuader, from the Netherlands, Magnitude 9 from the US, After Forever, Labyrinth, Mercenary... Those are some very good bands that would definetly make me go to BwBk !

I'm certainly not bashing the festival, Mark and Tim have done one hell of a job bringing metal to the US in a festival that in my opinion compliments PP. My disappointment is solely the quality of bands this year. They are all worthy of being on a festival roster, however outside of Jag Panzer and Trouble they really don't appeal to me. No disrespect intended to the organizers or the festival. Chances are I'll go to the Saturday show since we can buy tickets to the individual days.

AngraRULES said:
I don't think I've ever said that I wanted any female fronted bands... if anything, I don't care to see a band fronted by a girl any more than any band fronted by a guy. What makes me interested in seeing the band is the actual music and the show... Not the fact that it's a girl....

That comment wasn't directed at you.
If you look at an earlier post - a guy says he has 0 interest in the fest. Go to his profile and click on his link and he appears to be a fan of female fronted bands ( and Katatonia ).

I have no hard feelings at all towards you. I have no probalem with pleasant disagreements...

thesungoesdown said:
AngraRULES said:

If you look at an earlier post - a guy says he has 0 interest in the fest. Go to his profile and click on his link and he appears to be a fan of female fronted bands ( and Katatonia ).

I have no hard feelings at all towards you. I have no probalem with pleasant disagreements...

No problem man, I didn't know about that... I thought it was just a random comment... No hard feeling at all towards you either... =)

thesungoesdown said:

Yup, female fronted bands and Katatonia are the only things I like.

I forgot to take that link out of there since its only crap I have uploaded to my web space.

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/1792001 this gives a little better look at what I like. I like tons of bands but none of them are playing the BWBK Fest. I think the line up sucks, but thats just me, everyone else can crap themselves over the line up and go and enjoy it. Dark Tranquillity is the best band on the line up but they will be here so there is no reason to go. Last year I went to see Katatonia, which was amazing. Lilitu were also very good. Other than that it wasn't my cup of tea. I have the right to complain about the line up just like anyone else.
I might be going to Progpower just to see Orphaned Land. I would go for Therion too but I will probably see them a few times around here. I don't like the other bands on the line up so far for this year but I can see that its a good line up.

Narcosynthesys68 said:
I must be the only person alive wants to see Raven. I have loved this band for years and never had the chance to see them live... I am stoked beyond belief!!! I was the only person that even mentioned this band for this fest... I think I did the first two years also! Woo Fucking Hoo!!!

I would love to see Raven again. Saw them a few times back in the 80's. :headbang:
But time and money is not on my side so BWBK is gonna have to go on without me. :cry:

Brian you seem to have the right attitude toward all of this. I remember in '83 seeing Black Sabbath with Gillan on vox and the same year seeing Dio, and even Motorhead, and there was leather clad people everywhere (including many ladies), then a few years back I go to see Motorhead and there's zero leather anywhere in the hall. Point being that, yes metal has had a rough way to go here in the U.S., and now we actually have 2 good festivals yearly. So yes I am very pleased. And for those who write off BWBK this year, just remember I said this, that festival is a BLAST. It isn't just the bands, it's the atmosphere, and just like PP, there's plenty of it to soak in. And while I'm on a streak here, BWBK I and II were BOTH great. I don't see how anyone could bash BWBK II as a letdown. Hell, they had Primal Fear, Brainstorm, Grave Digger.... come on.... how can you say that's a letdown? These forums are great to share ideas, but I do agree with Brian, there HAS to be a limit on this bashing biz, and if the basher doesn't think they're bashing then they need to wake up. Yes I would be happier with less death and more power metal at BWBK III, but I still give credit to them for even putting the event on, and I know I will have a blast there, so I am very pleased and very thankful. :worship:

steelreign said:
As a supporter of BW&BK (the mag) since their very first issue and all 3 of their festivals (yeah, I already got my tickets) as well as being a so-called "veteran" of metal myself, I feel I should say a couple things about this.

It seems as though too many of you want to immediately start bashing on festivals like BWBK because perhaps it doesn't secure every one of your favorite bands, whoever is popular at the time, or (insert name here) isn't playing. I find it somewhat disheartening to see this type of attitude, maybe because I suppose I am a little more open minded than some at this site. But that's fine - everyone has a right to their opinion. What I don't understand is how you can complain about the band selection when a mere 6 or 7 years ago, there were ZERO metal festivals of any worth at all in our United States, and the best you might be able to do was a half-assed Metallica tour or whatever. Can it be that we are that spoiled now, what with a handful of true heavy metal festivals in the States, that we can afford to just start bandwagon bashing the ones that don't attract the cream of the metal crop year after year - especially fests that are still in their infancy? Man, that's pretty harsh. Maybe we would all be better off if grunge came back, or better yet, hip hop got even BIGGER and more widespread than it already is...

I am just trying to remind some of you that may not have been around for the lean years of metal here in the U.S. when you couldn't find a festival to attend if your life depended on it. It would be refreshing to see true metalheads at least try and respect the people who are doing their best to bring true metal back in this rap/alternative/garbage music plagued country, and support them for all their hard work. It's not like the ones who do all the legwork are making millions to compensate for their time, research and efforts. I am sure Glenn would echo these sentiments exactly, as he knows firsthand how much work goes into making these things happen.

I, for one, embrace the comeback of such bands as Trouble, Jag Panzer (yes, they came out originally in '81), Exciter, Death Angel, and Raven. These bands embody what real heavy metal is, was and always will be about. Maybe they are not your cup of tea, but does it really do any good to say that they "blow" or "don't do anything for me?" If you don't want to go, that's fine - just please don't be so quick put down some of the forefathers of metal. I think that bringing some of these bands back is great for metal because it enables many younger (and older) fans to have the chance to see what started it all, and for that I am grateful. Just two years ago, I was able to see Candlemass and Trouble, two bands I had always loved as a teen, but never had the chance to see live. This year, I get to see Raven, Death Angel and Exciter, three of the one time "giants" on the Megaforce roster in one place. I think for that type of nostalgic value, we should all be grateful.

If you really can't stand the bands at the festival, that's fine. It's not like you pay for your ticket before the bands are announced, so where's the problem there? (oh yeah, and I've been a gold badge holder for this festival for 3 years, by the way, where it's my PLEASURE to pay in advance for such a great endeavor) All I am saying is let's not bring it down by bashing it just for the sake of bashing, because it's not to your liking. Metal needs all the help it can get in this godforsaken, media force-fed country. Flame away if you must, but this type of attitude just pisses me off so I had to vent my opinion. Thanks for listening...

Brian

I'm going this year (it will be my first BWBK), and as far as I'm concerned, this year's lineup kicks the crap out of last year's lame lineup, where Ion Vein was the only band worth seeing IMO. It's been a few years since I've seen Jag Panzer play (one of my perennial favorites), and I'm psyched as hell to finally get to see Soilwork and Mnemic. Not to mention Chris Caffery, another one of my longtime favorite guitar players.

You all can stay home if you want. Then again, I suppose living in Cleveland works to my advantage to get to see this fest.