By The Pain I See In Others?

radu123

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2008
So, apparently this a widely-hated track by Opeth fans?

What's the dealio?

I think it's great, the only let down being the long silence followed by that backwards talking.

It's a good song but it has some problems in the latter half of the song (they keep going back to the chorus and it's fairly disjointed). I like it but not as much as the other 4 complete songs on Deliverance. And considering some people haven't yet realized how badass the album is, they're probably not likely to love its worst song. If I did a countdown or something it would probably show up in the mid 30s or something.

It's a good song but it has some problems in the latter half of the song (they keep going back to the chorus and it's fairly disjointed). I like it but not as much as the other 4 complete songs on Deliverance. And considering some people haven't yet realized how badass the album is, they're probably not likely to love its worst song. If I did a countdown or something it would probably show up in the mid 30s or something.

agreed.

It's not a bad track, but the Deliverance album is a bit underrated overall i would say.
And since Åkerfeldt himself claims it to be their worst effort, i guess people don't listen to it that much. =/

there's another one i can't understand the hate for, the grand conjuration, i'd say it's easily top ten

indeed, it may drag on for a little too long, but it has a very memorable riff, not to mention:
THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONJUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Hm...I like BTPISIO as well. I agree it's a bit stretched/too repetitive towards the end but parts like "Rise to submission!" are very powerful.

its just overshadowed by the other tracks in the album
its not shit like porcelain heart or something but deliverence other tracks are just too good

I din't think it's a coincidence, that this kind of thread is brought up again every few weeks by different fans.
For me BTPISIO is one of the more interesting songs on the album because all the other ones are far more repetitive.
So in a way it's a standout track.

It has always been one of my favorites on that album. It just stands out for me for some reason.

It has a very evil sound & vibe. Deliverance as a whole is a Masterpiece IMO.
I bet this song has been the topic of more threads than any other Opeth song.
It seems like there's a BTPISIO thread 3-4 times a year...

We seem to discuss this song more than many (well, the other contentious songs like 'Porcelain Heart' and 'The Grand Conjuration' seem to come up a lot as well).

Personally I don't think it is as good as 'Deliverance', 'Masters Apprentice' or 'A Fair Judgement'. Can't decide between 'By The Pain...' and 'Wreath', but honestly, Deliverance is such a strong album overall. 'By The Pain...' has some killer parts and some interesting experiments, but overall I don't find it as cohesive a song as the others on the album.

Yeah, maybe a mid-30s song.

ah sorry, i should have just done a forum search before starting the thread, there are heaps of threads on the grand conjuration

still...

THE EYES OF THE DEVIL
FIXED ON THE SINNERS

I don't get why Mike changed his pick for "worst Opeth album" to Deliverance anyway (cuz it was Morningrise right?) - I mean cool he decided TNATSW was a masterpiece instead of shit overnight but they still don't play anything else off that album and you can see him dis Black Rose Immortal every other show.