C7 Hellraiser: Mahogany wood feedback on low B !?!?

stargazer7

Apr 21, 2008
Ok... this is very annoying.

I just got a C7 Hellraiser. (my first 7 string). I so want to keep it, but it produces a very high pitched acoustic feedback (Pitch is a super high "F") when hitting the low B string (The note B). On my JVM, which is a fantastic amp btw, it is very noticable on the high gain settings, and sounds like a light saber after I mute the string.

I want to know if this is normal and/or common with 7 string mahogany guitars.

Any "feedback" would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks...

put a hair band around the strings between the tuning pegs and nut, also shove some cotton wool in the trem cavity

Thanks for the suggestions but I tried some of that already. I tried to dampen the strings at the nut. I cant put wool in the trem cavity because it is a tone pro bridge, not a FR.

Besides the resonance is coming from the body mainly, not the headstock., or a trem cavity.

have you tried dampening the bridge side of things? have you also tried a different guitar through the JVM?

Look... my man.... I think you need to research the guitar Im talking about here a little before gicing these suggestions. Do you own this guitar ? - You can't dampen the bridge, its a "tone pro" bridge. Look it up.

i own a hellraiser FR im just merely offering suggestions of which you asked for to do with guitar oriented noise! and you can easily put dampening on the tone pros bridge on that schecter!

Please tell me how to dampen the tone pro bridge aside from palm muting. Im just saying that it aint making much of any difference...

wrap a scarf or put a sock between the bridge and the part where the strings enter the body, once you have done that and the hadstock thing and the issue still persists change the B string, and try another gtr thru the amp, also maybe change the EMG battery

wrap a scarf or put a sock between the bridge and the part where the strings enter the body, once you have done that and the hadstock thing and the issue still persists change the B string, and try another gtr thru the amp, also maybe change the EMG battery

Well noted. However, again, this resonance feedback occurs "acoustically". I want to know if this is common among 7 string guitars with mahogany bodys. Specifically the low "B" note on the low B string. It feedsback at a high pitched "F7" which is picked up by the pup's.

BTW, I have several guitars that I use consitantly with my JVM (as well as other amps) - I know my gear pretty well, Its just that I am new to the 7 string experience.

Hey Jonesy,

Thanks for your help. I think the thing was that it was a new string that still needed to be stretched a bit through the bridge and thru holes. I did that, and changed the battery. The resonant feedback is still of course there, but now it isnt piercingly obvious (and at that high frequency), and more natural. Pardon my assumption with the TonePro bridge. I should have known that the string part btwn the bridge and thru holes also vibrate and gets picked up by the body. Dampening that part helped as well. As a matter of fact, I believe it was that section in particular that was the frequency culprit. I think I got it under control. Again, Im new to 7 string guitars, and am not used to those kinds of feedback frequencies.

Thanks again, and excuse my intent focus on the wood, primarily.