cabinet question

maxxkagato

New Metal Member
Sep 17, 2007
Greetings, long time reader, 1st time poster.

I've spent most of my recording time recording various amplifiers (Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, VHT Deliverance, 5150, Framus Cobra) through my Boogie 4x12 slant cab w/ V30s and the common theme I find is that there is always this annoying peaky resonance around 2.5khz. Now, a sharp notch EQ can take care of a good portion of it, but is this normal amongst speaker cabinets?

I recently recorded a Epiphone Valve Jr through a Valve Jr cab and found that there is also the same annoying frequency emanating outwards, so I think that part of making a quality guitar amp recording is to place the mic in a spot that minimizes that resonance while still being clear and balanced.

Any thoughts?

are you hearing the same anoying frequency before you record it? (if yes, tweak it 'tll it sounds right)
what mic(s) are you using? (if you're using a 57, well i've never NOT had to notch out a narrow Q around 3 kHz with a 57)
what position do you mic? (try moving out of the center 1 cm at a time and recording a bit every time, see where it sounds best)

You have these fucking frequencies because there is no acoustic foam inside these cabs.
A technician said me you can hear some resonance only with a little hit in the speaker (with no amp or guitar connected) if there isn't foam inside.
The next week I'll finish my 2x12 cab and I'll record some sample with different level of foam (no foam, with foam in the back panel, with foam everywhere)

well my jcm800 lead 1960 cab has that peaky shit too. actually every amp I've ran through any cab has had that peaky resonance around there. I've tried different mics too but every fucking one has it. usually around 2450-2550hz. sometimes it has a "friend" at 3,3khz too. depends on the sound a bit. But even with clean guitars it's a bit spiky. No matter where I put the mic... it's ALWAYS there. even if I lessen the gain a alot...

My cab is from the mid 80's if that could be a factor...(but I've had the same problem with newer cabs as well)

I just got rid of an Englv with celestion v 30 speakers because I was getting dead highs around 12k which i kept having to boost around 10db with post eq. I also got this horible mid horn type sound I couldnt get rid of aswell. So I got a VHT deliverance cab instead and have 0 problems with this thing.
I use a 6505 so the problem wasnt a head related issue this cab just sucked ass, on foaming ! i did open the engl up and noticed the whole back panel was plastered with foam, i checked the VHT and there was no foam, no idea if the Engl would have sounded different or better without it actually.

In my experience, it's not uncommon for any type of guitar recording to have a peak at about 2,5kHz. I've heard this from so many mixing engineers and also mastering engineers and they've come to the conclusion that it's just something to do with the whole chain, not just the cabinet (or the guitar, or the pick-ups, etc..).

I usually hunt down these peaks with a really tight EQ and notch them down a few decibels. Then the mastering engineer does this also... :loco:
Sometimes there are annoying peaks in around 3-5kHz. Waves Q EQ is ok for taming these, since you can get pretty narrow cuts with that. Find where it whistles and cut it down. Four notches usually do the trick.

This has the danger of losing some impact from the sound, but another EQ to maybe bring that presence back with a wide boost (2-3 dBs) helps. Sometimes. :)

It's just one of those things to deal with. If someone has a 'trick' to get rid of these while recording, I'd be more than happy to hear it!

I find this with different chains. One of my chains has a peak around 2.5 and another around 3.9...wierd. But I always notch them out and it clears up magically.

Thanks for the replies. I posted this same thread on gearslutz and got absolutely zilch.

Are you hearing the same annoying frequency before you record it?

Yes I do, but if I use the knobs to minimize it, I lose a lot of the sound that I like.

What mic(s) are you using? sm57

what position do you mic? pretty close to the center, I think almost dead on. I tried moving all over the place, I really like the clarity and balance I have going on now and it sounds like I lose that when I try any other spot, even though it does tone down the peakiness a bit.

Ditch the boogie and get a deliverance cab my friend.
A friend is bringing over a Basson 4x12 that has Eminence Legends in it. I've never used it before, but hopefully it'll be similar to the Emmince P50Es in the VHT cabs.

I found ENGL cabs with V60 to have less of this "notch". Also, the older and more abused cabs are the less of this "notch" they seem to have too. Treat your speakers like shit and they will sound better, kinda...

I like to move the mic a little more more to the center of the speaker and turn down the treble control on my amp rather then oposite...seems to give a "nicer" "notch".

I mailed celestion and they actually told me to "store my cabs in a moisty garage" to reduce the fizz in the elemets.....