Cable Snakebox to live room - no phantom power??

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
Anyone else ever encounter this?? I have a 16x4 20 foot long snakebox going from my control room (bedroom) to the live room (basement) and it wasn't the most expensive known to man kind ($89 new) so it's a little clunky. The main and most important issue is that I can't get phantom power downstairs!! In my old studio, there was a hand-assembled wall plate going from the live room to the control room and that couldn't send phantom power either.

i've confirmed that is DEFINITELY the snakebox causing the issue...as i've been forced to use battery powered c1000's for drum overheads :puke: and other condensers work fine going straight into the board in my control room (without the snakebox in between.)

Any of you guys dealt with this before?? Should I...

A. have someone who knows electronics take apart the box and check the solderpoints

B. buy a more expensive snakebox

C. buy some sort of phantom power box to sit in the live room, and if that's the case could anyone recommend the most practical method?? i could live with only 4 channels of power as i doubt i'd ever have more than 4 condensers set up at once down there.

My guess is that the ground is disconnected. To test it you need one of these, its one of the better Behringer products, they cost about $25 new:

CT100_P0133_FrontTopPerspective_web.jpg

It's a cable tester, not a phantom power box. Strange it doesn't work, I would return it (and if you have no warranty, try to find out if it's connected the way it should be).