Call me crazy... but does the ISP Decimator Suck tone?

guitarded88

Jan 25, 2009
Waterloo/Brampton, ON
So I brought my 5150 Combo home from practice the other day... and was too lazy to set up my pedals so just plugged 'er in and played.

I cranked it up just a tiny bit... and ohmaifuckingawd u guyzzz... that beast came ALIVE!

So I assumed I'd test the pedals one by one to see what was causin tone suckage. I started with the ISP Decimator which I assumed would make no change. I plugged it in and without even turning it on my amp sounded more feeble, all those swells and sweet harmonics were completely gone. The sound seemed very lifeless. I turned it on, same thing... turned it all the way down. After going back and fourth a few times I'm positive theres a noticeable difference in sound.

So whaaat da fuuug mang. The pedal is supposed to be true bypass! I'm using planet waves cables straight into pedal straight into amp.

My idea is that the daisy chain im using (godlyke powerall) was fucking with it so tomorrow im going to try a 9v.

Thoughts?

true bypass is a subjective term. many manufacturers claim it but don't actually use real true bypass.

but yeah, the ISP stuff does suck a little tone regardless

Dunno, when I was bored I did some tests of my pedalboard (wah -> polytune -> decimator -> od808 )

The only conclusion I had was that the ISP sucks way less tone than the ns-2 I have, so that's already an improvement. Also the sound was better when I had the od-808 after the decimator and not before it, maybe it has problems when the boosted signal on the input is too hot.

Didn't make tests with and without the decimator in the loop... dunno, do some more testing, people are generaly pleased with this unit and so am I.

It sucks less than any other I have tried, most notably the NS-2.

It is subtle, but it does suck a little tone. Even rackmount ones do as well, just a bit, but you can still hear it. Leave it off for recording, gate manually. But live, I would rather sacrifice a little tone than have squealing uncontrolled feedback and noise.

Have you tried putting the Decimator in the FX loop to see if it affects the tone less? It will probably react differently depending on how you have the amp set, but it's worth a shot to see if it helps or not.

Have you tried putting the Decimator in the FX loop to see if it affects the tone less? It will probably react differently depending on how you have the amp set, but it's worth a shot to see if it helps or not.

I have to experiment with the positioning, but last time I tried it in the effects loop it did some weird ass stuff. If I remember correctly, I think the volume would swell and the gate didn't seem to open fast enough. I'll be with my amp later, so I'll try out a few things (sticking it before OD808, after OD808, in the FX loop, etc.) and report my findings.

yes it does. and every noise pedal/gate whatever sucks tone. believe me; I`ve had em all. my final decision was just to use the volume nob. and it`s perfect, seriously

Really? And you've gotten away with this live? I really wanna try a show without the noise gate but am scared shitless of the result!

Maybe I can record the differences for you guys. I'm going to put all my so-called "true bypass" pedals to the test. I'm just outraged that so many people blindly say that it sucks NO tone all across the web. Well shame on me for not using my ears I guess, and trusting what I read on the internet!

On a similar note with the opposite results:
Even when my boss EQ20 is switched off and in my FX loop my amp comes alive . So there it sits switched off !

I will chime in, I have used the G-String and currently have a ProRackG in my rack rig live (but not the standard decimator).

Best noise gates hands down ever made ever in the world by man. I would say they change the tone by 1%. If even 1%. I honestly think about .5% tone change.

I will never not have a live rig without one of these devices in my rig. That said, just to keep the signal pure, I don't use one when recording. However, if I did, I confident it would not make a difference.

I will chime in, I have used the G-String and currently have a ProRackG in my rack rig live (but not the standard decimator).

Best noise gates hands down ever made ever in the world by man. I would say they change the tone by 1%. If even 1%. I honestly think about .5% tone change.

I will never not have a live rig without one of these devices in my rig. That said, just to keep the signal pure, I don't use one when recording. However, if I did, I confident it would not make a difference.

+1, I got the G-String and it is AWESOME.

It takes literally less than a minute to set up to perfection and it works perfectly. If anyone thinks it changes the tone enough to matter in a live setting, they are delusional.

Have you compared the Pro-Rack G to the stomp box? If it is that much better I would readily sell my stomp and order one today.

I don't claim to have the greatest ears by any means, but there was definitely a difference greater than 1%, when I went back and fourth between the decimator and without. I would never be able to notice a difference of 1%.

It was like the difference between an average 192 mp3 version and the CD version. One sounded good... but the other sounded alive. It pierced and swelled (in a good way) and was just exciting to listen to.

Have you compared the Pro-Rack G to the stomp box? If it is that much better I would readily sell my stomp and order one today.

To me the ProRackG and G-string sound exactly the same. The only reason I am using the ProRackG is that I got one for $150.00 and I already have a rack that has my tuner, wireless and power condition in it. I paid like $200 for the G-string so I sold the G-string. The ProRackG is cool, because in the end, it has more adjustments, however, Buck (the designer) designed the G-string well. I found it actually easier to use with its single knob and wouldn't have switched if I didn't score the ProRackG. You do have to make sure you have it setup in your chain correctly, a lot of people don't know how to use these products and make stupid claims.

At least with the G-string and ProRackG it HAS to be the VERY VERY VERY first thing in the chain directly after the guitar as it tracks the guitar signal totally pure to operate correctly.

To me the ProRackG and G-string sound exactly the same. The only reason I am using the ProRackG is that I got one for $150.00 and I already have a rack that has my tuner, wireless and power condition in it. I paid like $200 for the G-string so I sold the G-string. The ProRackG is cool, because in the end, it has more adjustments, however, Buck (the designer) designed the G-string well. I found it actually easier to use with its single knob and wouldn't have switched if I didn't score the ProRackG. You do have to make sure you have it setup in your chain correctly, a lot of people don't know how to use these products and make stupid claims.

At least with the G-string and ProRackG it HAS to be the VERY VERY VERY first thing in the chain directly after the guitar as it tracks the guitar signal totally pure to operate correctly.

I should have been more clear, I'm currently using the ISP Decimator Pedal, not the G-string. It was my understanding that all decimator units used the same closed loop technology, and the major benefit of the pro rack g and g string models ove the regular pedal was it's ability to eliminate noise in the effects loops, and to eliminate the problem of having to change settings when you change volume (or go from distorted to clean etc.)

Since the g units (lol) use the same inside loop system as the Decimator Pedal, wouldn't they suck just as much tone as the Decimator? Or are the Pro-rack G and Gstring more transparent than the pedal as well?

Anything in your signal chain is going to effect the tone, you need to dial in your gear with your processers as opposed to trying to sound exactly the same as direct. Seems like there may be something wrong with your unit though if you are noticing such a drastic difference.

I gigged with 5150 Combos for about a dozen years, sponsored.
Trust me, I know exactly what you're experiencing!
Best solution is to click to the Clean channel between songs.
Just too noisy at idle, too much unintended feedback sometimes.

One of the reasons why I dumped Peavey.
Their people and support are outstanding... but time moves on and the competition improves.

I gigged with 5150 Combos for about a dozen years, sponsored.
Trust me, I know exactly what you're experiencing!
Best solution is to click to the Clean channel between songs.
Just too noisy at idle, too much unintended feedback sometimes.

One of the reasons why I dumped Peavey.
Their people and support are outstanding... but time moves on and the competition improves.

Haha, I love the thing, and it was cheap... but it does have a freakin crap-tonne of noise. So what is your alternative? No noise gate at all on a less noisy amp?

Do you have a fresh battery in there?

Joe

I'm actually using a godlyke powerall (daisy chain power adaptor). But this thing sucks tone even when switched off, which is what really got to me. Gotta try a 9v to see if it's better... but apparently these things rape batteries.

I should have been more clear, I'm currently using the ISP Decimator Pedal, not the G-string. It was my understanding that all decimator units used the same closed loop technology, and the major benefit of the pro rack g and g string models ove the regular pedal was it's ability to eliminate noise in the effects loops, and to eliminate the problem of having to change settings when you change volume (or go from distorted to clean etc.)

I have never used the normal pedal. If I were you, I would dump the decimator pedal, order a G-string and call it done. Case closed. Done. Nothing else needed.