Call me crazy... but does the ISP Decimator Suck tone?

Haha, I love the thing, and it was cheap... but it does have a freakin crap-tonne of noise. So what is your alternative? No noise gate at all on a less noisy amp?

My last 5150 Combo stays at home for a practice amp.

I played a Revolution and was instantly hooked. This was about two years ago.
No gate needed.

Wish I had a solution for you. I use just a couple pedals, and everything is on a looper because I hate the tone loss of FET switching and God knows what else that happens within the miles of silicone of an effects chain.

Unfortunately all I can do is empathize with you. Sucks to be your sound engineer!
"Gaaaaaaaa! What's THAT!! (SHZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*click*) Okay - Remember to mute that guy between songs !!!!"

:lol:

I would suggest NOT relying on the sound guy to mute you between songs. I mean really, he's not there to baby your gear. I personally love what the ISP does for my tone. I notice a slight difference, but the tone just sounds cleaner without the clutter! But to say it DOESN'T affect the tone at all would be wrong IMO!

I have the stomp ISP Decimator. It's fine. Something else in your setup is causing this, I'm fucking certain of that. Poor quality cabling perhaps? My ISP Decimator doesn't do anything to my tone, and the pedal IS true bypass.

True bypass means when the pedal is OFF, the signal goes straight to the output jack. You can confirm this by unplugging the power to the pedal - it will still let the signal through when it's off.

True bypass is not a subjective term. Although in a complex rig it has consequences - some gear expects buffers, some gear doesn't.

I personally think the ISP Decimator doesnt suck that much tone at all, barely noticable...
but i've heard that the NS-2 sucks a bit more tone than the ISP so yeah.

I have the stomp ISP Decimator. It's fine. Something else in your setup is causing this, I'm fucking certain of that. Poor quality cabling perhaps? My ISP Decimator doesn't do anything to my tone, and the pedal IS true bypass.

True bypass means when the pedal is OFF, the signal goes straight to the output jack. You can confirm this by unplugging the power to the pedal - it will still let the signal through when it's off.

True bypass is not a subjective term. Although in a complex rig it has consequences - some gear expects buffers, some gear doesn't.

+1
I love my ISP, the benefit of this unit is much much higher than the negative aspect of sucking mini mini things of the tone, imo.
Maybe you can compensate this a little with your amp eq...

You guys are right,

Originally, I was surprised that it changed the tone at all, as it was said across the net to have zero tone suck.

But... once I added the tubescreamer and MXR EQ into the chain, I didn't notice the difference in tone as much with or without the ISP Decimator.

I guess there was also a part of me that loved the raw uncontained sound of no gate :)

I've actually decided to stick with the Decimator Stomp for now... as I came across this thread :

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2543265

Apparently, because of the way the 5150 effect loop is wired, it doesn't play nice with the G-String...

Just a heads up!:headbang:

I'm going to grab a Voodoo Labs PP2+ and hopefully it will clean up the signal a bit.

Thanks for the help!:kickass: