Calling Tech Geeks and Computer Nerds

The Don

Oct 29, 2004
Evergreen, Colorado USA
So I upgraded to Windows 7. Everything is fine except my entire music library of 60 gigs seems to have disappeared. When I click on My Music under my documents it says that the folder is unavailable and may have changed locations. FUCK. Can't do a restore either. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Also, I can't install iTunes because it says that the iTunes folder cannot be created and does not exist in the Music folder, which is funny because I can't go in and create it since the Music folder is unavailable.

yo don, i think i may have your answer.

in vista 'my music' is a shortcut to an actual folder. in windows 7 the 'music library' is kind of like...a conglomeration of shortcuts? so you can add folders to the 'music library' and it'll put them all under that one item for you without moving them. believe me, it did not delete yo' shit.

i'd just suggest doing a search for *.mp3 in the search bar in the start menu. you may have to click on 'view more results' or whatever to be able to see everything intelligibly. then right click on one of those bad boys (that you recognize as being something that was in your music directory) and do a 'open file location' - and voila, you've found where your music now exists. or did originally behind a facade. or whatever.

then you just gotta reset your itunes thing to point to that new folder to look for your music. it should preserve all your play counts and whatnot. lemme know if that works!

Thanks for the input but I've I'm aware of the location deal and have already done a .mp3 search on windows. It simply does not bring up a single song from my library. I can't find any of them. I know from simply upgrading the OS there is no way it would dump files. I did have a bit more free space on my C disk, but that's prob. just due to the leanness of 7 compared to Vista (not half as large as the space my mp3s would've freed up).

Here is the exact message:

C:\Users\Donsky\Documents\My Music refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Now before I upgraded I was advised to uninstall iTunes, so I did, but I still had all the music. I'm stumped. And I can't even run iTunes, like, I install it, but it can't boot because it's trying to create the iTunes Music folder in My Music, which apparently is corrupt or fucked up. It's not something you can change until the program is actually running.

edit: This is also important to note. My C:\ has about 35 gigs of 142 total free. Now, I checked every folder on the C and added up all the significant sizes and came up with that the whole drive only had 34.86 gigs used. Now 14 gigs for Upgrade + 35 gigs used = about 50 gigs total. When I upgraded I had about 65 gigs of music and 20 gigs free space. Thus if we add the 35 on C:\ now + 14 for upgrade + 20 free space = 70 gigs left, which is how much music I roughly have. It's on there somewhere, it's just hiding and I can't find it.

double edit: It also says (Empty) next to My Music directory...?

Hmm. Sorry Donnyboy, I usually assume people know nothing and spell out things as basic as possible. Now that I know you're awesome :headbang:

I am trying to figure out what the hell could have happened. It looks like the old way, when windows xp users upgraded to windows vista, was that all the old 'my documents' shit got shoved in a folder called windows.old. I can't find anything on the upgrade to win 7 but it might be similar.

I'd maybe do windows searches for the following: folders named windows.old, searches for the filename of a song you know you had (rather than *.mp3 - the filetype may have been modified for some odd reason), folders of a certain huge size, or files of a certain huge size (they may have compressed the old documents in some way and put them in a single file).

I do admit that I am a bit stumped...the hidden folders and drive space left seems weird.

Lol this is so convoluted and retarded. I wouldn't mind too much if I were able to run iTunes since I give my metal broskis in my house everything I come across. When iTunes installs, it creates the iTunes Music Folder in My Music, so it gives me the phrase "iTunes Music folder cannot be found or created", which leads me to believe that somehow the directory got like corrupted. Can't system restore either. I was running Vista and everything else transferred over with absolutely no compatibility issues.

Tried windows.old. nothing. No huge suspicious files to be found. Searched 01 Riders of the Plague (Absence song), knew I had it, doesn't find it. Funny thing is Windows Media Player has my entire library stored right up, but when I click to play, says file can't be found, and when I choose to show location, it gives me the same error message I typed earlier. I fear that I'm pretty much fucked.

In all seriousness, and in the event you are fucked and you end up re-downloading your library, I reccomend you shell out the extra dough for an external HD like I did. I paid 100 bucks for a 650 GB external and it was the best investment I ever made.

Hey Don,

If you go to your c:\Users\<yourcurrentusername>\My Music folder, what's in that bad boy? And did the username change from Donsky?

Well I got iTunes on the comp. Had to go into the registry and change the My Music true file path from the one that wasn't working (didn't exist) to c:\Users\Donsky\My Music. I believe in doing so though my precious metal is forever lost to the mystery of the new OS.

Gadlor, before I did this, the folder was empty, and the username did not change. Just wasn't in "Documents and Settings" filepath anymore.

That is really freakin' weird. I googled around to see if anyone had similar problems - I couldn't find anything. I am sorry Donsky :erk:

Yeah everything is back to normal OS wise now. I have permission of everything, and iTunes is running. 2 casualties: 1) Loss of 65 gigs of solid, rub my cock off metal. 2) Lost 65 gigs of my HD to phantom files. Other than that, my brosephone is coming over now and hooking me up with a couple thousand songs.

Thanks to all you nerd fucks that tried to help me. YOU FAIII11lLZ~!

Nah thanks though. Almost had the bastard. /Thread

Thread revival. So in between writing a nice 20 pager on Marx's theory of falling rate of profit and penning a lit review for my thesis, I decided to do a web search for "lost or deleted files recovery program", just for kicks. Downloaded first one I saw. It's 50% done, and apparently it has found 9,328 mp3 files that amount to 61.8 gigs....... Booyah.

edit: SON OF A BITCH FUCK YEAH COCK WIZARD!

Apparently the songs were in C:\$INPLACE

Not only was it a hidden folder, but when I clicked on it's properties earlier, it said it had only 3 files for 261 kb.

When I finally found the location via the program, it said I didn't have permission to open the folder. Well fuck that shit. 2 days ago I downloaded a program that bypasses that shit so FUCK YOU WINDOWS!

Good feeling.

edit #2: Whelp. 902 albums added, everything back to normal. Except I took some shots with my buddy in celebration and now I have to write 5 pages on the literature of non profit higher education firms regarding customers as production inputs and efficiency functions. FML

Yeah dude you had it right. What I did the first time was check the file size of the folder and it was minuscule so i disregarded it. You were right, though. *banana sticker*

Thanks to everyone trying to solve my life's problems. Biggest cock goes to Gums for actually being correct!