Can anyone reamp for me?

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Im in the process of learning about getting a good DI signal and it looks like Im getting there but need your guys' help. I have to turn my volume to half way on a jackson with Emg 81 to get a signal that resembles the DI's on this forum (I was recording way 2 hot before!). My fireface DI is turned all the way down.

I am placing two DI guitar wav files this is the fixed di http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/2de4992208602

Can anyone take some time to reamp these with a mesa dual rectifier and a 5150? In the process can you please let me know if my wav files are decent quality by being recorded through the fireface di and my volume being on half on the guitar?

The request for a Mesa Rectifier is because I am thinking about buying one. If it is direct out with impulses Im fine with that! :headbang:

www.yousendit.com

You should not be clipping with the DI input at 0 on the interface...that's not normal.

I can reamp into a Dual Recto -> Mesa 4x12 (V30s) -> SM57 -> 8Pre or Saffire Pro once you get the files straightened out. But I would prefer that you have your volume knob on your guitar all the way up. Your DI tracks should be peaking at -3dB at the most. To get your peaks to that point, do palm muting on the guitar while adjusting the gain on the interface until it's hitting -3dB, everything else will be fine after that.

~006

The fireface di has a lil gain knob in the front that i have turned all the way down...i dont believe its close to clipping but just need an idea if my wav file is where it should be?

I fixed the link at the top as well!

The DI's are quite low in level, peaking around -10 (from a quick check), nowhere near clipping. I raised the level of them a bit which in turn raised the noise also. Used a noise gate and made a quick couple of tests. No post processing at all.

If you raised the level I think they would be definitely useable. The best DI's I have reamped were close to the 0 level.

Windows firewall can report a blocked popup when you try to download from the links below. The popup file is the mp3 file to be downloaded. It's safe, trust me :err: :lol: (I have used this host many many times without problem).

Version1
http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/1904022207697

Version2
http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/b8307f2207703

Click the "Download File" button in the middle of the page. I have just tried it, it works fine.

Guitarhack and hoehlentroll thanks so much! I like the less gain versions of both of yours. What exactly are you guys using? Settings? Are they amped or impulses?

GuitarHack can you post version 2 as a wav if you have a chance?

Poidabi, yeah that would be awesome I would love to hear both of those amps!!

Now for my noobie DI questions:
You guys all agree raise my levels?
Does my DI guitar become distorted on the peaks? And what do I need to do to prevent that? Or pretty much what does this mean below....
---Got this response from Shadow Walker "Seems the stronger peaks are distorted a bit. Check your mic preamp level, adjust it so that even with strong attack it doesn't clip."----

Also should I use a tubescreamer on my original DI or only when reamping?

thanks. I used rev III with 6505+. Impulses were poidaobi engl pro higher presence. keep the di at -3/-4 db. that should prevent it from clipping. but clipping wasn't an issue with the track imho. if you record it with ts you're loosing flexibility.

Weird I just got this response ^^Yeah, I think it's clipping. Don't worry about the level so much, just make sure it's not clipping. I can adjust the gain later.

What I dont understand is how is it clipping if my levels are so low? Is that my DI? (because my guitar is at half volume and my DI has no gain)

I used Wagner Sharp + Impulses. Both versions had the same settings, just a different Impulse was used on each.

Will upload the WAV tonight if you still want.

Im gonna swap out the 9v battery tonight and test. Hopefully thats it.

Guitarhack thats a amp sim too!! (free wagner) could you post ur exact settings and what impulses u used please?!

Could someone do real amps and see what the difference would be?:kickass:

Yep. Free Wagner. If you record some new DI's I will reamp through my Rev and 6505 tonight or tomorrow night. I will give the Wagner settings later. As for the Impulses, I could tell you the names, but you don't have these Impulses.

Nice GuitarHack!
The only problems with your impulses were the pumping low-end and the fizzyness on the >10000Hz area... now seems that you've solved both...
Great work!

hoehlentroll thanks it was the 9v going low...replaced that and a new meaty sound and volume came out of my guitar....:loco:

my fireface di is completely at the bottom at 1, turned my guitar up all the way and input on cubase is peaking at -3...is that going to be ok? anyone else use the fireface di?

i am going to rerecord the guitars tomorrow and post again, hopefully they are amp worthy after!