Could someone help me out with this?

shreddster

New Metal Member
Oct 25, 2013
Hi all.

I'm experiencing a really weird problem with my DI.

I'm using a yamaha audiogram 6 with reaper to record guitars and I'm getting a significant (either soundcard, reaper or DI related) level of noise in my recordings. When I reamp it and distort the signal, there is a very prominent hiss. Could someone reamp this signal for me and tell me if there's a noticeable hiss?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1xjkl43vglf1up/gtr1.wav

Thanks guys.

It happens because Audiogram is noisy 16 bit shit.
You can have only -96 db signal to noise ratio at best case, probably even less, because specifications unknown.
Compared to inexpensive modern interfaces you have almost 2 times more noise, don`t mention difference to top interfaces.
-96 db and -117 db noise floor is a huge difference in noise level at reamping (even good -106 to -117 is significant difference).

If anything, reamping something that noisy will only make it worse. Short of buying a better interface, I'm not sure there's much you can do. ReaFIR (one of REAPER's bundled plugins) can accomplish some pretty dramatic noise reduction, even removing noise from within a signal, and I've had success using it to clean up the quieter fade-out chords of some noisy overdriven rhythm tracks. But with the level of hiss you're experiencing throughout the whole track it would take a huge load of CPU power and there's no way it would leave the guitar's signal untouched. Beyond that, if you aren't already, make sure you're getting the levels into your interface as hot as possible without clipping to maximize the signal to noise ratio.

Bummer. Thanks for the input, guys. I'll probably just end up borrowing an amp from a friend to do the guitar tracks.