Can anyone recommend a GOOD power-metal band?

tedvanfrehley said:
I'll take a stab at this one for the fun of it!

KOTIPELTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

also symphorce or edguy

bet that blew some of y'all balls right off! haha

Kotipelto solo stuff is great! Although it doesn't really sound too power-metal, especially the last one. I think his first album is a must have, it has classic heavy metal influences, plus Michael Romeo playing guitar.

Kamelot (especially "Karma")
Hollow
Helloween
Seven Witches
Warmachine (but they're quite Iron Maidenish, which isn't bad at all)

Abryl said:
Kotipelto solo stuff is great! Although it doesn't really sound too power-metal, especially the last one. I think his first album is a must have, it has classic heavy metal influences, plus Michael Romeo playing guitar.

Agreed! Beats the hell out of anything Stratovarius has produced since Destiny.

TheGraveDigger said:
Indeed, I was blown away when I saw them at the BWBK 6 Pack Weekend II in Cleveland, Ohio last June. I was right up against the guard rail in fornt of the stage losing my mind. Andy was so shocked that people in America know of and listen and love Brainstorm. It was overwhelming for the band and I am sure the responce was just the same if not better in Atlanta. I have some amazing pictures of him hoping off the stage and singing right into my face. I need to load them online soon and post pictures.
They wer truely Magical in Atlanta :) the whole band was trying to all Serious and metal but couldnt due to the crowd reaction .... I do believe they cried after their set .... With that said Brainstorm is Great but Symphorce is better :)

Like many others here, I recommend:

Tad Morose, Brainstorm, and Angel Dust. I also recommend Balance of Power (though they have two distinct eras) Metal Church and Pagans Mind (touch of prog in that band, but still heavy stuff and not too wanky)

Bryant

Ok, thanks to everyone's advice, I d/l some samples last night.

To these ears, I think Tad Morose is most promising. There's a clear Sava-influence, however. I really like the sound of the vocalist & there doesn't appear to be too much cheese (if any at all). I might pick up the latest record this weekend.

Brainstorm also sounded quite strong, but I'm not sold yet. Need to hear more...

Blind Guardian was piss-poor.

thanks for the advice, so far!

SoundMaster said:
Way back in the late 90s, when Hammerfall burst onto the scene, I picked up their debut after reading all of the glowing reviews. However, I found it to be boring & dull, lacking in originality & emotion. I know it was "retro", but the songwriting just....lacked.
Whaaaaa-?! Noooooo! Hammerfall are class...their albums get progressively better and catchier (or commercial, depending how you see it :p). And I'd still recommend A Night At The Opera by Blind Guardian regardless of what you think :loco:

Helloween is essential, both Keepers albums! DragonForce and PowerQuest are classy new bands. Edguy are cool, only listened to 'em once though. None others spring to mind right now! :oops:

As far as I know, Tad Morose isn't classified as "power metal" as Soundmaster requested in his original post on this thread. But then I am still kinda confused about today's "classifications". In my heyday, Helloween was "speed" metal. Now it's considered "power". Ehh, what does it matter anyway?

I am glad you singled out Tad Morose, Soundmaster. Their album Matters of the Dark is godly, and the new album Modus Vivendi will whomp your ass too. And if you like that, definitely get Cage - Darker Than Black. It's in the same vein: really heavy, upper mid-tempo, very hooky, and somewhat progressive.

SoundMaster said:
Ok, thanks to everyone's advice, I d/l some samples last night.

To these ears, I think Tad Morose is most promising. There's a clear Sava-influence, however. I really like the sound of the vocalist & there doesn't appear to be too much cheese (if any at all). I might pick up the latest record this weekend.

Brainstorm also sounded quite strong, but I'm not sold yet. Need to hear more...

Blind Guardian was piss-poor.

thanks for the advice, so far!
Tad Morose posts floated around this forum for months (quite a bit of it started by me) because of their style and sound. Their vocalist, Urban Breed (his real name btw) is flat out awesome as is the twin guitar attack is outstanding as well. My suggestions are getting "Modus Vivendi" and "Matters of the Dark." No matter what you want to categorize that band as (power-metal is certainly fair) they rip !! There is enough "in your face" thrash style to give them plenty of "oomph" but they also have some good slick production and heavy harmony vocals to give them an ethereal touch as well. Great band.

Bryant

Tad Morose is another band that has 2 Distinct Eras The first 3 albums had a different singer that resembles Tony Martin vocally in ways and the music is far more Proggy and Keyboard Heavy Not that that is a Bad thing ... but they are much Better now :D ... Try and Hunt doen the song "Way of History" it is their Best song from that era IMHO .... and for those who Follow Wuthering Heights Tads Former Singer Did the vocals on the Second WH Album called "To Travel For Evermore"

wdiv said:
Agreed! Beats the hell out of anything Stratovarius has produced since Destiny.

Absoultely. Tolkki became too obssessed with orchestration and it seems so pretencious, especially the Elements CDs. So boring, with the exception of Eagleheart, Fantasia, I Walk To My Own Song, Awaken The Giant and Dreamweaver. From Infinite I really like Glory Of The World, but that was written by Jens Johansson :D

zeppelin said:
Try Dream Evil, they're great as well,
I'll be damned. Zep you can feed me to a lion, I forgot Dream Evil in my list :OMG: