Can Cubase 5 Essential open Cubase 5 projects?

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, OH
www.myspace.com
My friend got a laptop and i own Cubase 5 and we want to try to get matching systems to share projects or as close as we can.....

I know there are limitations on Essential but will it still open Cubase 5 project files? it will prolly just have some missing things that need checked and all should be good right?
im sure there is no problem opening essential project files in cubase 5.

Essential would just be used for Drum Programming and raw tracking.....then moved to cubase 5 for more heavier mixing...

cool any info appreciated

Project_compatibility_4.png

Yes ;)

This chart makes no sense. When you cross Cubase Ess. 5 (vertical) with C5 (horizontal) you get a NO, but when you cross Cubase 5 (vertical) with CE5 (horizontal) you get a YES.
Unless it means that you can open Essencial on Cubase but not Cubase on Essential.

This chart makes no sense. When you cross Cubase Ess. 5 (vertical) with C5 (horizontal) you get a NO, but when you cross Cubase 5 (vertical) with CE5 (horizontal) you get a YES.
Unless it means that you can open Essencial on Cubase but not Cubase on Essential.

Only the horizontal matters :) Don't read it too complicatedly.

From the left side, select which version you want to test compatibility-wise. So for example, Cubase 5 can open all files saved in the versions listed at the very first horizontal row, except the first 5 vertical columns (LE1, SE1, etc.).

It's not a matrix, so you cannot test vertically.

Cubase 5 can open Cubase Essential projects.

Cubase Essential can't open Cubase 5 project files.

I just ran into this since I was hoping to use AI4 with a Steinberg CI2 so I wouldn't have to carry around my dongle for my laptop. LE4/AI4, like Essential, can't open crap. Not even older Cubase stuff like SX3 and the like.

Essential only has the piano roll for drum programming, it doesn't have the nice drum programmer that the full version of Cubase has. I am not sure if it is in Cubase Studio.

In my working with other studios, even if we both are running Cubase, there are still issues with transferring stuff around. Plugins being one place but not the other, I/O being all jacked up. VSTi's not matching up etc.

So I would just use whatever you are comfortable with (Pro Tools, Reaper, Studio One, Sonar, etc.). Then export MIDI which will have all the drum programming, tempo maps etc. Then export stems with batch export, MEAP (http://www.meap.biz/), or bounce and pull it out of your audio folder.

Then you can import them to whatever DAW.

Other than that, you might find it easier to just carry the USB dongle around. Do drum programming and raw tracking in MIDI, then move it to the bigger machine for mixing. Sucks..but what can ya do.. short of buying two copies.

EDIT: My bad... LE does have the Drum Editor. Essential likely does as well.

Essential only has the piano roll for drum programming, it doesn't have the nice drum programmer that the full version of Cubase has. I am not sure if it is in Cubase Studio.

Cubase Studio has it, but that's total bullshit that Essential doesn't. That drum map feature is seriously one of the biggest things keeping me with Cubase over other DAWs.

All right thanks for the info....yeh i read a few places Cubase 5 won't open Essential projects which is a little weird....but it shouldn't really hurt anything.....one thing that does bother me is what aortizjr said "Essential only has the piano roll for drum programming, it doesn't have the nice drum programmer that the full version of Cubase has. I am not sure if it is in Cubase Studio."

Now that's messed up can anyone confirm this? i found this on the Steinberg site......it clearly says Essential has the Drum editor ?????

drum.jpg