Can we have a live album, please?

Feb 15, 2004
Prussia
en.wikipedia.org
Because Amon Amarth is such a great live act with massive intensity, I think it would be awesome to release a live album. I read somewhere that Johan Hegg said that he doesn't like live albums because the sound quality sucks, but that's not true. Slayer's Decade of Aggression has better sound than most of their early albums, in my opinion at least, and I just downloaded a video from Wacken of Pursuit of Vikings and the sound quality was awesome!

I just like to take this opportunity to ask all the heathen maidens at this forum what they think of the role of women in the Asatrú society and if they would be willing to live like them.

your question about the role of heathen women in society reminds me of an interview with Varg Vikernes in the book Lords of Chaos. he says women are extreemly important because men who like them want to be what they like in men. so if many women are heathen, this will considerably help Asatru.

anyway yeah the sound quality of the wacken pursuit of vikings is really good. i'm not really into live CDs, but i admit it would be cool if AA did a live CD, especially for Johan Hegg's comments. but somehow i dont picture AA doing live CDs. i dont imagine this to be in the band's mentality, imaybe thats cause had read that interview of Johan too.. :p

I don't really like extreme Metal live cds/dvds and I don't think that the Amon Amarth live dvd is really good, the camera angles just suck etc. The thing with them is that the crowd usually doesn't sing along and so the live performance doesn't sound so special on cd.
I really like normal heavy Metal live cds though, best example probably is Blind Guardians Live CD and their DVD(which for me is the best live DVD ever), because the crowd just goes wild. The choruses sang by the crowd just sound magnificent and when they do some slow songs to cool off they are almost completely sang by the crowd. For me at least, that's what makes live cd's/dvd's different from normal studio albums.

when i was at the AA gig the crowd sang along so so much. the song The Fate of Norns was practically sang all the way by the crowd.. but cause its not singing but growling, the crowd does have some difficulty being heard. but still.

Celtik Militia said:
when i was at the AA gig the crowd sang along so so much. the song The Fate of Norns was practically sang all the way by the crowd.. but cause its not singing but growling, the crowd does have some difficulty being heard. but still.
That's what I meant by that, you practically can't hear or understand anything of what the fans are singing, you might just hear some screams or so and half the fans are anyway singing it wrong ^^. I remeber when i saw AA in October, many sang "It's the age of fortune", in the song bloodshed :/
But anyway it's just my opinion, I simply feel an extreme Metal Live cd is nothing special, you cant really hear the fans except for before or after a song. Death's Live in L.A. sure is great, but its more a best of cd than a live cd for me :) . I rather like hearing some heavy metal live cds, like live cd's by Saxon or Manowar or Blind Guardian, you just feel the atmosphere more...
If you've seen the Blind Guardian(don't know if you're into them) live DVD you might know what I mean, the choruses by the fans just let a chill go down your back.

I tell you it's a must buy, and it's totally worth the money. Sadly i just heard that one of my fav. drummers, thomen stauch has just left blind guardian :(

I've been told it's pretty easy and I don't believe a Live CD will ever be released by AA, and if something may be released it will only be a bootleg. And at least in Switzerland, as long as you only rip the sound for yourself and dont sell or give it on it's legal :)

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Because Amon Amarth is such a great live act with massive intensity, I think it would be awesome to release a live album. I read somewhere that Johan Hegg said that he doesn't like live albums because the sound quality sucks, but that's not true. Slayer's Decade of Aggression has better sound than most of their early albums, in my opinion at least, and I just downloaded a video from Wacken of Pursuit of Vikings and the sound quality was awesome!

First of all I agree that Slayers Decade of Aggression is a great Live Album, no doubt about that. Probably one of the best ever released, but most live albums suck big time! It would be like releasing a "Best of"-album, but with crappier sound, and that would be a waste of peoples money in my opinion.

However, that's not the only reason I don't like Live "albums". A live show is more than just the songs. It's the stage performance, and the connection between band and fans, and you just don't get that on a "Live Album". To me it makes more sense to make a live DVD instead. That way you get the sound and the performance.

i dunno. blind guardians live album was quite impressive. you hear alot of remade type stuff like bright eyes in electric instead of the acoustic one and stuff like that. but at the same time thats a different genre. also you can realy pick up the connection on that one cuz the fans sung along with alot of shit and shit like that. but thats the way power metal is.... =\

but dont make a live album for aa. that would totaly suck nuts because you guys never play fury divine live :/ however a big dvd would be pretty cool. like from the big shows where you play like 2 hours or something like that. and dont make it limited release. but dont sell out with em like six feet under. can get there fuckin dvds at toys r us. and dont release one til you have atleast 4 more albums out so that it will be one big spectacular release. =]

DemonsAndLies666 said :
"and dont release one til you have atleast 4 more albums out so that it will be one big spectacular release. =]"

VAT?! that would be much too long of a wait! shit i'm looking forward for an AA DVD.. and that means in the next couple years to come! not in 10 years thank you very much! :p i'd say they should release one more album, make some videos and then the DVD with live performances, all the the videos, documentaries about the band..etc..