Can we talk drumsamples?

Jun 2, 2005
Yes.. another sample thread.. but in this one, i am really curious where you guys actually get your samples from...

I used the pantera kick a couple of times.. recorded nothing with it though.. too clicky for me.. also, the snare of "far beyond driven".. i used that in a song as well.. just one sample though! but it worked, just not 100% happy with it so far...

Hmm.. let's see.. i use the samples Andy posted all the time in combination with DFHS.. i love those samples.. and i use the kick the most..

How do all those people in the metal production scene get their samples? do they create them themselves? nick em from an album of a band? or are these samples on a CD somwhere.. like bob clearwater's samples cd?

Really curious about this, and while there has been numerous threads about this, there is still no real explanation how someone get's their samples.. it's a bit mysterious, you know...

So spit it out! :tickled:

I've been wondering this as well.

The Rock Drums Volume II that you can order from the drumagog page is okay.. the kicks are usable, the snare have too much high end (sounds like they cranked the bottom mic) and the toms are a little.. meh. But for 100 bucks it's not aweful.

I also am wondering the same thing....The samples that andy offered up are great but I am wondering if he or anyone else actually use 1 kick hit or 1 snare hit in a whole song.....

No no no, you definitely want multiple samples, and if you're good enough (which I am not) you want to use samples of the same kit you're recording, not say from a drum machine...though I think adding little fake kick sample is a good idea, especially on the low end.

I usually just record my snare samples from scrap, the difference between that and the live drum tracks being that I can tune, mic, and isolate the snare exactly how I want it, and it still matches up with what the overheads are hearing. I'd say just find a drummer friend or something, bum the best sounding snare you can and record/process the snare exactly how you want it. You probably won't get a sample that sounds exactly like the one ringing around in your head until you make your own samples.

I've been hooked up with some secret samples from some of my studio/producer connections, but I've been using a mix of all kinds of stuff lately. Cymbals from my own sessions as well as DFH, kicks from Andy and a secret source, snares from the same secret source, toms from yet another secret source.

There's lots of commercial sample libraries on the market, but very few of them sound good for extreme metal.

i use nskit as a basis...

on my last project, the kick was nskit blended with a bit of chemical wedding (from king in crimson) and smth i don't remember :p ; and the snare was nskit blended with ghost reveries (baying of the hounds i think) and this godless endeavour (the first second of the album :p). the rest of the kit was mic'ed (very poorly, i might add :p)

lately, i've incorporated andy's samples and i'm always on the lookout for good samples, in music or on the internet.

I read somewhere that Karl Sanders from nile did give away some of his older samples... anyone ever heard of this before?

i've been recording samples from drummer's in my local area and i gotta say it's not that hard to get a great sample that is comparable with DFH with the right isolation and combination of mics ( usually double micing top and bottom and overhead ) and learning how to blend all the mics together without eq .

however something like DFHS still rocks and i would still buy it because of the variety of choice of drumkits and that sweet plug in that comes built in with it.

:p i'm stuck with a shitload of recording work so i havent' had time to sort out all the samples i've recorded , did a whole multisample collection of 3 snares and toms . it is a lot of work sorting out L1 R1 L2 R2 hits !!

Does anyone has a particular favorite kick sample from DFHS? I bought the thing, picked up a few samples to use on soundreplacer but I wasn't particularly happy with them...

It'll save me time if someone could point out a few...

... and I'll appreciate it!

As far as DFHS samples, I sometimes use the DW kick with the wood beater.
The thing about using those is that it is totally unprocessed and needs to be tweaked just as you would a normally recorded kick drum. With a little eq and compression they really sound good.

Yeah about Karl Sander's his samples, i think read it on his forum.. in the history backup pages though.. let me see if i can find it again..

gomez... i use the sonor 22" kick the most in DFHS.. i believe that's the best one for metal.. at least, it is my favorite.

also, don't forget to put a plastic or wooden kicker in front of it.. sounds better and more metal then felt...