Can we talk drumsamples?

No luck yet finding the thread where Karl Sanders explains that he does not mind sharing his older samples... :(

prowlergrig said:
and the snare was nskit blended with ghost reveries (baying of the hounds i think) and this godless endeavour (the first second of the album :p).

prowlergrig said:
I used the pantera kick a couple of times.. recorded nothing with it though.. too clicky for me.. also, the snare of "far beyond driven".. i used that in a song as well..

Where the hell did you guys get Pantera and Opeth samples from? Are they the same exact sounds that were used on the albums?

pantera kick - album: far beyond driven, of the song "5 minutes alone".. right in the beginning..

pantera snare - far beyond driven as well, song "good friends and a bottle of pills".. somewhere around 0:28..

opeth samples? no idea..

in flames snare - album: reroute to remain, song "minus" right at the beginning.

mnemic kick - album: mechanical spin phenomena, song "wild boys" at the beginning.

nevermore snare - album: this godless endeavor, song "born" at the beginning.

anyone got some more tips/songs?

I don't sample replace all the time, but I have the Dan's House Vintage Sampes kit for Drumagog and it's really nice.

Despite the "vintage" tag, they don't sound dated (most of them) by any means. The drums are very well recorded and hold up to lots of processing, so you can pretty much get any tone you want out of them with some tweaking. I've never had a problem blending them in with what I've recorded.

I like that they're pre-gogged, because I'm not much of a sample librarian.

http://www.drumagog.com/buy.htm

The Farview sample kit is allegedly really good, too. Probably better suited for metal.

Thanks for the NSkit link, Kazrog. I'm happy to support them by downloading the free version. :)

I'm trying to use the mnemic's kick in my new song..it's powerfull, but unfotunally it has a lot of reverb.
I'd like to try hatesphere's last album kick, but I haven't found any song with a dry kick sound :\

Really?

Wow.. funny how different all our mixes are sometimes eh?

I mean, the mnemic kick could never fit in a mix i am doing right now.. it sounds way, way off.. same goes for the in flames snare.. i love it on their record, but applying it to one of my mixes? not a chance in hell.. it really contradicts with the other drumsamples..

I still think Andy's samples would work best for me..

Andy should put together a sample library and sell it! It's a win-win situation. I recently got turned onto his samples (and this site) and they are so far, the best samples to use in my kind of music.

Just found another one.. a big one with lot's of verb on it..

Kick on Samael's album: passage.. track 6 first second or two.

I use the Bodom and Pantera kicks, with filtering (usually to cut the highs) for the metal stuff. I use a set of snare samples created by Machinae Supremacy that holds up pretty well if you verb it up and boost the highs. The toms on DFH, with some processing usually do the trick for me.

I've yet to find good cymbal samples, and I've yet to get into using a sampler other than Battery, which is making the whole randomizing velocities thing a bit of a tedious nightmare.

I'd much rather just be able to run and afford DFHS.

Speaking of that. Do you know whether Battery 2 makes the process any easier? I'd much rather stick to modules that deal solely with drum/rhythmic samples. Don't really like overcomplicating the process and all that.