Can you guys hear this, or is it just me?

Mm1066

Mediocre metal maker
Dec 18, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hey there guys.

So I'm working on a mix, I'm happy with it but there might be more to do, but I think I'm hearing a sort of 'woo' sound in the guitars, somewhere in the lower mids. I don't know how to explain it than it sounds like a kind of low pitched whistle. I'm asking you because I've been working on it for a while and I have a feeling that my subconscious is making me think these things and be more overcritical than I should be.

Anyway, here's a sample of the ending http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4855778/Extract.mp3

If you answer this, I'll either feel better, or go more insane. But whatever you can say will help me.

Cheers

hmmm... now that I concentrated on hearing a "woo" sound, I think I heard one... I think
maybe the frequency you're hearing comes from your room resonance or from your specific set of speakers

georg_f said:
hmmm... now that I concentrated on hearing a "woo" sound, I think I heard one... I think
maybe the frequency you're hearing comes from your room resonance or from your specific set of speakers

So, what exactly can I do about it? I don't have a treated room, or any access to one unfortunately. I've checked it out on other systems but it translates fine and I can't hear any obvious frequency spikes that shouldn't be there.

ubrsyntx said:
Try listening on different sets of headphones... alternate between them... and keep tweaking it to your liking.

That's the thing though, I can't hear it on headphones. I have the Sony MDR-V6 for Digital, and also some Bose noise cancelling headphones. I also tried the awful Apple headphones.

Yea I think I hear what you're talking about. It's right around 420hz. I'm not sure what would be causing that tho. Some kind of buildup

guitardude570 said:
I don't think it really bugs me tho. It kinda suits what's goin on in the music in a weird way

Now I remember. I used the Colin Richardson EQ as a starting point and must have boosted 400Hz on all guitars to make the notes more defined. I don't think it is that noticeable unless you really listen out for it, so I'll just leave it.

Yeah that's just a basic starting point man. If you added some boost at 400Hz and it makes it sound worse, then take it out! Every guitar chain is going to require eq in different areas.

I'm sure you know about it, but in case...

If the sound gets on your nerves, take a good EQ and surgically cut the offending frequency after singling it out with a sweeping technique. Simple as that and I do it all the time.

Wait, you used someone elses EQ for another track of guitars for your guitars?!

LOL WAIT U STUPID? No need for that attitude really, he´s done as pretty much all of us have done which is take into consideration and try out tips given by pros. Maybe now he realises it doesn´t suit well his particular mix, but this forum has proven specifically that tip seems to work quite well most of the time so it´s perfectly fine to try it out

the "woonk" haha, is definetly a resonating thingo, not a PROBLEM though. It's quite cool if i dare to say! I think taking GTR's a bit back, notching a bit out at 500hz adding some low to bass and kick will make it purr and be less of a bad boy.