Can you help me find this tone?

MaxDistortion

New Metal Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hi everyone :) I'm new to the Ultimate Metal forums, so this is my first post. Before I ask my question, let me add a little context to my situation so you guys can get a better understanding of where I stand in terms of guitar/tech knowledge.

I've been playing electric guitar for nearly 4 years now, and also been playing acoustic for about a year and a half. Done a fair bit of theory, I know a lot of the techniques used during practice and things like scales (although not many by heart). I understand basic chord nomenclature and in terms of guitar setups, I could probably tell you differences in things like string gauges, tuning setups, pickups and bridges, but probably couldn't tell you much about things like how to adjust intonation.

My main problem is that I'm not very good with guitar tech. I own a Line 6 Spider IV 120W amp with a Line 6 FBV express footswitch, and a Boss OC-3 octave down pedal. On top of that, I also own a copy of Amplitube 3, and I use a guitar to USB cable to connect my guitars to my computer.

As for guitars, I own 5, but the most relevant one to the question I'm going to ask is an Ibanez RG8, 8 string. Currently got the basic strings on it that came with it (gauges .009 - .065), and it's tuned to drop E :)

Now to the crux of the matter. I've been listening to a song recently that was composed by Mick Gordon for the new Doom game soundtrack, and I've really wanted to try doing a playthrough of it. This is the song:

Now I've been trying to use Amplitube 3 to put a tone together to get my guitar to sound like that, but I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I'm doing with it lol. I wanted to ask if anyone would be able to help me please? I've tried Googling for a while to see if anyone else had asked a similar question on other forums, but all I could find is that the song is played in drop E on most of the cover videos. Got no idea how to use any of the settings on Amplitube, though there's a massive selection of pedals, cabs, amps and other different things I could use, as well as download :)

Last edited: