Candlemass, Symphony X & Nevermore?

If this is true....so many brix would be shat. I would rather see SX headline but i have yet to see nevermore live. Jesus i can't even comprehend SX+Nevermore together....plus candlemass!

Ohhhhh hold up a gripe, would candlemass be headlining?

I can guarantee you if this happens Nevermore will be headlining. With the success of TGE, Loomis Schecter Signature model, Loomis GW Column. Warrels solo tour success and Jeffs solo album Success CM has to make them the headliner. If this goes to europe I can see it swapping. Nevermore is just much bigger at the moment then Symphony X from a ticket sales standpoint.

I've never heard Candlemass

say whaaaaaaaa

anyway i'm not crazy about nevermore/candlemass but i'd watch them too, seems like a decent show altogether, yeh

I can guarantee you if this happens Nevermore will be headlining. With the success of TGE, Loomis Schecter Signature model, Loomis GW Column. Warrels solo tour success and Jeffs solo album Success CM has to make them the headliner. If this goes to europe I can see it swapping. Nevermore is just much bigger at the moment then Symphony X from a ticket sales standpoint.

I dunno man. Nevermore hasn't headlined in the US since the Dead Heart tour. They didn't even headline on the TGE tour, and that album came out 5 years ago. Also keep in mind, Loomis has had a lot of success on his own, but that doesn't translate to Nevermore being known. Guitar kids see Loomis' name in guitar mags but that doesn't = they know Nevermore, cause most kids don't bother researching anything like that. Whereas Symphony X was able to do a headlining tour for Paradise Lost and sell out in more than one city. I can see co-headlining or Symphony X headlining, but I'd be shocked if Nevermore headlined.

Anyway, the real headliner should be Candlemass by seniority alone, but I'm well aware that doesn't count when it comes to ticket sales (re: Exodus opening for Arch Enemy).

Hopefully Symphony X will be headlining (or co-headlining). I could care less about Nevermore and I've never heard Candlemass, but Symphony X + 45 minute set = not cool.

This more than likely won't happen due to the nature of the industry. Nevermore and Candlemass will almost certainly be above the bill since this is symphony x's debut tour under Nuclear Blast. That said, NB is putting them with some bands that will help expose them to a larger crowd, so it can only mean good things in the future.

how the shit is SX being on nuclear blast and getting exposed to a larger audience necessarily a good thing? i'm usually not a fag who likes music to be more obscure just for the sake of it, but come on - SX is one step away from becoming a shitty power-metalo-death band that NB is infested with. it's not like perfectly good metal bands haven't totally abandoned the quality of their sound once they broke through (see: kamelot), and frankly with PL SX has already started to do that, so fuck it, my opinion is commercial suicide would be best

how the shit is SX being on nuclear blast and getting exposed to a larger audience necessarily a good thing? i'm usually not a fag who likes music to be more obscure just for the sake of it, but come on - SX is one step away from becoming a shitty power-metalo-death band that NB is infested with. it's not like perfectly good metal bands haven't totally abandoned the quality of their sound once they broke through (see: kamelot), and frankly with PL SX has already started to do that, so fuck it, my opinion is commercial suicide would be best

How selfish! This is about the band, not you!

I'm just kidding I kind of agree. Which is why I'm so anxious to hear about the next album. And listen to it.

How selfish! This is about the band, not you!

I'm just kidding I kind of agree. Which is why I'm so anxious to hear about the next album. And listen to it.

even if you are kidding, you have a point...and i don't deny my motivations being totally selfish, but then again it's not my band is it, and i'm not going to be the one grappling with the onset of commercial success. i'd just prefer if what the guys wanted happened to coincide with my selfish desires. life's too short to pay for shitty music! :kickass:

When Symphony X releases a CD with 10 tracks between 3:00-4:00 minutes long with the same ABABCBB structure and little to no solos or bridge composition, then you can say that, but as it stands, PL is a LONG way from sounding like Kamelot. Come on. Just because it gets to the point a little quicker than some of the other albums and sounds more aggressive does not make it a "sell-out" album that everyone is complaining about it to be. Symphony X was never a pure prog band anyway, and there is still plenty of good, non-conventional writing on that album.

As I understand, the band is still writing the songs themselves, although we don't really know anything about the writing and recording process yet. I assume that there isn't some dark, nefarious dude from NB telling them "cut out this bridge section, it's too long and will lose the goth kids' attention!" They're not competing with Nightwish in Europe. I don't think we should be that worried and I really don't understand where all the anxiety is coming from. Seriously, the band is finally getting some well-earned respect on the bigger stage and now the "troo" fans have to tear them apart for being too "power metal" or whatever and not putting out another DWoT.

never said PL was as bad as say, ghost opera, because they still have several advantages over your run of the mill band, but it does lack a lot of the complexity of previous releases, and though the band and most of the fans will deny it to their grave, it's a step toward the predominant sound of today's metal, simple as that. no band will ever admit that - why would they? i see no reason not to call it like i see it - my point was they're in *danger* of becoming like kamelot. and as for predictions in relation to the label, well, i'll just let time do the talking. if i can say i told you so i will; if you're right, then i will admit so and also be very happy that SX maintains their quality.

and i don't give a shit about being a troo fan, like i said above my desires are totally selfish, i want a good album to spin and enjoy myself to, simple as that. personally, i wish Nuclear Blast *weren't* a gravity well, but that's wishful thinking. there arent enough good things in life, music included, and i see no reason to defend a band to the death regardless of whether i actually deeply enjoy the stuff or not.

Well, "complexity" can mean whatever you want it to. I don't see anyone weeping over the "loss of complexity" now that the band doesn't do things like 6:45-7:40 in "A Lesson Before Dying" on the s/t album...nobody listens to that album. Their writing has gotten tighter and more to-the-point, and yeah, the timbre of PL got a little more crunch-driven and darker, maybe things shared in common with nu-metal, but there are clear reasons for why the album came out that way which have been talked about a lot. It's not "denying to the grave" or anything like that...there's so much stuff on PL that totally blows me away. Personally I dig the new wetter mix and the older albums sound very under-produced and dry in comparison. The Odyssey is awesome but I think it's a closed book and I would really prefer they not write another album just like that one.

I've seen bands go south and have been disappointed by it plenty of times, even bands that controlled their own writing and publishing. I don't see why it has to be all about the label, and I really doubt the label is exercising some veto over the writing process or anything. And maybe I overreacted to what you said but it just sounded like how troo people cry "sell out" anytime a band starts to get a little bigger than their previous niche...Apologies for the accusation if that's not what you are...I don't think the guys will let us down and I personally don't feel they let us down at all with PL.

Symphony X could not and would not ever fully sell out. They're not Metallica for christ sakes. I have heard Romeo mention and stress the importance of having full creative control. And yeah, with PL they flirted with slightly more commercial sounding material and trendy heavier-than-hell sonic production; but many of the compositions are still so much better than what any of these pennyanny upstarts produce.

Nuclear Blast has left a bad taste in my mouth multiple times. They would be wise to cash in on SX's talent instead of the other way around. I just hope that Romeo & Co. stop giving a fuck about the teenage bandwagon and just fully commit to doing what they love. Because their musical strength knows no bounds.

I don't see anyone weeping over the "loss of complexity" now that the band doesn't do things like 6:45-7:40 in "A Lesson Before Dying" on the s/t album...nobody listens to that album.

I listen to that album...

And I'm just done trying to act like my musical heroes are infallible - the fact is their downfall is totally a possibility at this point. I would not shed a tear if the entire Nuclear Blast label imploded right now. They're part of the cancer killing metal and music in general.

HATERS WILL HATE!

I don't see anyone weeping over the "loss of complexity" now that the band doesn't do things like 6:45-7:40 in "A Lesson Before Dying" on the s/t album.

While the bass "groove" was cool, that section was always way too DT-ish for me (needlessly complex for the sake of complexity). Some of the stuff after it was awesome, though.

By the way, Postulate, I completely agree with you about Kamelot. I loved Karma, Epica, and Black Halo, and when Ghost Opera came out I was like "what?!" Even the few decent songs on that album sometimes have the same dull vibe as the rest of the album.