Candlemass

I never heard Chapter VI or Dactylis Glomerata,or whatever it is called.

I do have FROM THE 13Th Sun, and do like it a bit.

It just isn't classic CANDLEMASS though still, ya know?
I think what they are doing with Rob now is more in line with the classic Candlemass sound.

Now, when I say this, I'm not claiming that it's a deadringer of an example. With that said, Chapter VI reminds me a bit of Tony Martin era Black Sabbath. I'm not sure why, but that's just the vibe I get from it.

I haven't heard any of the albums to be honest between when Messiah left and when Messiah came back, though I have listened to the two new ones. I think those definitely have a classic vibe or at least King of Grey Islands does. I just haven't been able to get into Death Magic Doom.

I actually prefer Rob more than Messiah. That may sound like blasphemy but I find Rob has a more clear and a stronger voice to boot. Messiah's vocals sound a bit goofy to me sometimes.

I don't really prefer one over the other, but Rob is a great fit imo.

I'm not too big on Rob in Candlemass. He's amazing with Solitude, and one of my favorite singers, but I just don't like his voice on a lot of the Cmass stuff.

Ouch...I think Rob could sing for Pain of Salvation and I'd like it! :lol:

~Brian~

Now, when I say this, I'm not claiming that it's a deadringer of an example. With that said, Chapter VI reminds me a bit of Tony Martin era Black Sabbath. I'm not sure why, but that's just the vibe I get from it.

Cool, I love Martin era Sabbath, esp TYR and HEADLESS CROSS.

I think From the 13th Sun is VERY Sabbath-y.

CANDLEMASS! Definitely an old skool favorite of mine from way back in the day! I LOVE Nightfall! I bought it on cassette back in 87! I LOVE Messiah's vocals! What a badass singer!!!:kickass:
Although I never unfortunately gotta see the great Messiah Marcolin w/ them! :cry: I always wanted to see him do my all time fave Candlemass song, "Demon's Gate" live! :erk:
Epicus, Doomicus, Metallicus is also a fave as is Ancient Dreams & Tales Of Creation! I loves me some CAMDLEMASS!!:headbang:

What surprises me though with that first video is that VH1 in any form would play a Candlemass video.

Yeah, no joke! I thought the very same thing after Pate posted it.

...by the way, if you by chance haven't ever heard Black Sabbath's The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, and TYR...then run like hell to the nearest computer to order them!

~Brian~

Yeah, no joke! I thought the very same thing after Pate posted it.

...by the way, if you by chance haven't ever heard Black Sabbath's The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, and TYR...then run like hell to the nearest computer to order them!

~Brian~

I was tempted to get TYR once for 7 bucks and am now kicking myself. If those discs sound anything like this, I'll definitely have to scoop those up. I'll admit I'm one of those finicky Sabbath fans. For the longest time, I didn't even like any of the Dio-era stuff simply because Ozzy wasn't in it. Boy was that a mistake.

I was tempted to get TYR once for 7 bucks and am now kicking myself. If those discs sound anything like this, I'll definitely have to scoop those up. I'll admit I'm one of those finicky Sabbath fans. For the longest time, I didn't even like any of the Dio-era stuff simply because Ozzy wasn't in it. Boy was that a mistake.

Dude, The Eternal Idol is essential for any fan of metal, much less "power doom" as I like to call it. The title track is a classic Sabbath doom cut, but there's a song on there called, Glory Ride. That's melodic metal at it's finest! :headbang:

~Brian~

Ray Gillen also recorded demos for The Eternal Idol before he went off to his Badlands venture...here's the Glory Ride cut...

If you don't like this, then you don't like metal! :)

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
With that said, Chapter VI reminds me a bit of Tony Martin era Black Sabbath. I'm not sure why, but that's just the vibe I get from it.

Musically they do have a good deal in common, and also vocally. Tony Martin's performance on "Headless Cross" and Thomas Wikstrom's performance on "Chapter VI" are both in my top 10 of all time vocal acrobatics ;)

Such a shame that "Chapter VI" is a highly neglected Candlemass album (heck, even Leif Edling doesn't like it much) - it has some of their best songs, and it's one of those discs that I put on whenever I don't know what else I'm in the mood for listening to.

The "Sigge Sjunger Furst" EP is pretty funny too - Wikstrom is a great vocalist, and even if this isn't exactly doom metal, it's still a pretty nifty little Candlemass rarity.

c.

It makes me laugh that the words "if you haven't heard" and "Black Sabbath" (of any era!) are present in any kind of metal forum.
Candlemass....great band, no matter who's singing! I love the Messiah stuff, the straight forward nature of Chapter IV, the trippy-ness of Dactylis Glomerata and From the 13th Sun, and the last couple of cd's are fantastic doom. I gotta say that their comeback with Messiah is one of my faves......The Black Dwaaaarrrrrffff!

BTW- all this talk of Tony Martin era Sabbath(Cross Purposes is probably my favorite) makes me wanna dig out the first Lion's Share cd again....that album reminds me so much of Martin Sabbath. Great stuff.

I have to put my 2c worth in here. Most Black Sabbath albums that didn't feature RJD or Ozzy didn't get much of a chance by Sabbath fans.

My Favorite top Post Ozzy Black Sabbath Albums included (With must listen to songs)

1. The Eternal Idol (The Shining, Ancient Warrior, Hard Life to Love)
2. Born Again (Trashed, Disturbing the Priest, Zero The Hero)
3. TYR (Feels Good To Me)
4. Seventh Star (In For The Kill)

Candlemass had been a big favorite of mine as well. I loved Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. Still of the definitive Doom album of all time.

1. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
2. Nightfall
3. Death Magic Doom (The Bleeding Baroness is awesome)
4. Ancient Dreams.

Another band I highly recommend is Isole. Their disc Bliss of Solitude is crushingly heavy.

Another one of my favorite bands that I've mentioned before on here is While Heaven Wept. I consider "Of Empires Forlorn" one of doom metal's greatest unheard treasures. I was disappointed by the follow up Vast Oceans Lachrymose so if you only listen get one CD then get the Of Empires Forlorn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, FGTM is the one song that is SO out of place on that album.
Lyrically and musically.
It was the "single" so it served its purpose I suppose.
It's an ok track. TERRIBLE video though.

Hey Pate! Good to see you here, I was checking out a thread about the 70,000 tons of metal cruise that my wife and I are going on and saw the candlemass topic so I had to jump in..hehe.

Tony Martin was actually in line at one time to possibly sing on the White album. It never happened of course but there are some demos of him singing 3-4 songs off that record. Eternal Idol and Tyr are great records, not like the Black Sabbath of old but good in their own right.